LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys after you drive 20-25 minutes or so' date=' does it go away for you? It's completely gone for me by that then.[/quote']

When I first started notiing it, it did. But now after I've had the noise for a while it only gets faintly quieter but is still present. It also depends on how cold it is outside. The colder it is, the worse it is. When its 20 degrees I always have it, when its 50 degrees it goes away once warmed up.

No Donuts here.

• 2 weeks later...

my buddy cris (Nighthawk CL9) is experiencing the same thing in tight right turns and under hard acceleration.. it eminates from the rear left wheel it is a knocking that gets faster as speeds increase... we checked the swaybar, endlinks, suspension for anything hitting but to no avail. We swapped rims to see if it was the rim or rubbing.. no dice..

he has Pink springs and is TDC stage 1, cusco rear sway and endlinks..

i HIGHLY doubt its the exhaust, but anyway give me a week and i can confirm that as i have just ordered the longer exhaust hangers which lowerit about an inch, if the noise goes away or not ill report back.

its embarrassing going out with friends and people asking why a $30K ca is making noises like that. and its not like you can pretend they are not there, it a loud noise.

Ex '05 Legacy GT

Here are some transmission cross-member bushings, that might (but probably won't) help our problem. Anyone want to try them?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56295

There only 30 dollars, and I guess no extra NVH, I don't have time right now, otherwise I would give them a go.

I wonder if the 6MT Spec.s will have this issue. It's a heavier duty drive train and might have more robust bushings (if in fact that is the cause of the noise). However, I predict that most of these noises will disappear in about a month or so.:icon_bigg

Vimy... where do you get your info? :confused:

The 6MT is supposed to be a more robust unit by all accounts. The 5MT drive train doesn't seem to have a problem handling extra Stage I/II power but something is noisily protesting during cold weather. Perhaps the 6MT might not but that is pure speculation.

My next prediction is that the noises will begin to reappear in 8 or 9 months.:icon_bigg

I agree... its a different tranny... but the mounting points and type of mounting systems will be the same.

Do we know that for certain? The mounting system might be the same but the unit is heavier and designed for even heavier power applications so it could very well have sturdier bushings and mounting points to match.

Ok guys - This thread was pointed out to me so I took some time to read it. I got to thinking about it a bit. My thinking is based off my wife's 01 H6. I'm hoping the LGT kept the same mounting system.

On the H6 there are two mount points for the rear diff.

The first is the traditional Subaru "bushings in the subframe" setup. These are the bushings directly mounted in the rear subframe with studs going through them and into the rear diff cover.

The second is a forward mount saddle. It's located toward the front of the diff, and has bushings on either end. See the pics.

What I need is for a couple of people - someone with an automatic and someone with a manual to take a look under the rear of their LGT and tell me if that forward saddle exists. It would be really nice if someone could even take some pics.

I have a theory on this, and if that is there we can VERY easily set up an experiment.

-Clint

Taken from the back of the car. Find the axle and look forward.

http://turninconcepts.com/forums/rear_diff/image0002.jpg

http://turninconcepts.com/forums/rear_diff/image0003.jpg

TRS posted this earlier in the thread, not sure if that's the info you're looking for:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/RearDiffMount-1.jpg

ignore him, he'll go away.

I tried to get a few pictures of the bushings before my camera died.

The first pic shows the front bushings

P1100001.JPG.ac75318a64546b8adede624ecbdebe8d.JPG

The second pic was my attempt at taking a picture of the rear bushings. you can barely see them behind the rear swaybar.

P1100002.JPG.5d54627ec11f3d3188d81c8db4b0f492.JPG

The diagram in the post above is right on