LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

I will agree on the lowering factor, but then throw in the AP factor as well. When all of us hit it, we launch...the rear squatts further because of that initial burst. You with stick shifts get that on each shift...especially in the lower gears (1st, 2nd and if your stage 2, I bet you might hear it every now and then in 3d)

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Good point. Now we need a few members with OEM suspension Stage1/2 to check in and tell us if they have problem.

I have no intention of lowering the Spec.B because I like the road clearance rally heritage influence. However, once the waranty expires, I'm seriously considering going at least to Stage 1 so I am interested to see what might be responsible. Also, when it comes time to replace the struts, etc. if bushings might not also become a RR item.

Some guys went back to stock and they still had the problem.

A guy in Quebec had his car modded by Julian at Lachute. The noise drove him nuts. He put his car back to stock, took it to the dealer and they never could make the noise go away!

He is now driving an AUDI!:confused:

Not lowered here, but stage 2, noticed it when I started putting more power to the ground than stock. (as I have previously posted)

It is worse when I have people in back (like a lowered car), but I can make it happen even with nobody back there. (as I have previously posted, during hard shifts).

We have already discussed this at LENGTH. It is worse on lowered cars, but can exist with stock springs.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/munchkin_2/Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog.jpg

This is NOT something that Subaru will fix, I would bet that there are only one or two cars, that have never been modified, that have this problem.

It is most likely the bushings that locate the rear diff, we need a vendor to step up and make a replacement in polyurethane.

That sounds about right trabbic.

This certainly isn't something that affects just people who are lowered (I'm not) nor does stage anything really matter. Just reading all of thread will tell you that much.

But people who are lowered seem to experience it more. I typically just hear it under hard acceleration in 1st, especially when turning. It's probably only in this situation where the squat is bad enough to cause it.

We have already discussed this at LENGTH. It is worse on lowered cars, but can exist with stock springs.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/munchkin_2/Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog.jpg

No offense, trabbic... but where? :confused:

Let's get this straight....

1. This problem is happening on stock cars with stock ECU's. In the reported cases, the rear diff was replaced with no positive effect on removing the noise.

2. Engine management "upgrades" have no direct link to this issue. It could be argued that more power cause the problem to occur faster, but that has yet to be proven.

3. Lowering the car, as many would like to think, causes this issue to be more pronounced. This again has yet to be proven.

4. Rear diff fluid, synthetic, dyno, etc does not make a difference, it's not the internal working of the diff.

As far as anyone can tell the be explaination is worn mounting bushing for the rear diff and/or cross members. WRX bushings will not fit the LGT.

There is your summary, can we please stop rehashing the same ground up ideas? :confused:

1. This problem is happening on stock cars with stock ECU's. In the reported cases, the rear diff was replaced with no positive effect on removing the noise.

2. Engine management "upgrades" have no direct link to this issue. It could be argued that more power cause the problem to occur faster, but that has yet to be proven. (more torque causes this problem to be more pronounced)

3. Lowering the car, as many would like to think, causes this issue to be more pronounced. Others I know have proved it.

4. Rear diff fluid, synthetic, dyno, etc does not make a difference, it's not the internal working of the diff. Yep!

As far as anyone can tell the be explaination is worn mounting bushing for the rear diff and/or cross members. WRX bushings will not fit the LGT.

All looks pretty good, cept my car did it when new, so I doubt worn bushings. Some rubber somewhere contracts causing metal parts to get too close when cold. That is why the colder it gets the worse it gets, I have proverd that!

I'm going to rehash!!!!

and pose a new question... is it more prevalent on sedans or wagons?

I ask because of the weight difference in the back end, seeing if that makes a difference. I'm guessing not.

Stg2+

Wagon

5eat

21k miles

synthetic diff fluid

Bilstiens w/JDM sedan springs

sways

hard right acceleration makes a growly noise :)

so add one more to the list of problematic folks

once this snow and ice clears up i'm going to see about mounting a small camera and mic on the undercarriage and seeing if I can pinpoint the exact location of the problem