LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the 2 posted sub-frame diagrams and the one I have here from the dealer I think more like Seeeeeya, it;s got to be the trailing arm bushing as the sub frame is a much more heavier unit and held in place by 4 mounts and the rear brace plus the two front ones that look like little J's and the other possible movement or flex would be the trailing arm wanting to "dance" back and forth (judging by the opening on the bushings) with the power or torque because when there is wheel spin (wet surface), it does not move because there is no resistance.

Wonder how that bushing is on the 08STi since we share almost the same suspension.

Edited by Leonardo

True, except I doubt there is enough production variance that would be responsible for the growl. A car either has it or doesn't.

Note, not a single MY07+ owner complaining.

So you have a spec-B? Have you done anything to solve the problem?

Doh... maybe I misread... I thought it was saying 1 of 2 MY06 owners... not specB owners.

Bottom line, no I am not SpecB... but I do have the growl on my 06 LGT.

I'm going to be getting some high-density rubber pads, about 1/4" thick, and will see if I have the inclination to install them on the subframe mounts during this cold winter weather. I have 2 weeks off from work for the holidays, so I might have an opportunity... we'll see.

In the meantime, I'll keep checking in on this post, hoping someone else has more initiative than I do!

Is it confimred he has the exact same problem, or something similar?

His post here http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1830889&mode=linear#post1830889 indicates that he calls it a "vibration". (Of course, he doesn't mention he's SpecB there, or within his info.)

I would agree, mine sounds more like a vibration than a growl... it's not as "smooth" as a growl... you can hear the "spaces" between the "events" rather clearly. (Implying that a "growl" has little or no "space" between the noise "events".) In other words, it sounds more like a high-rate clattering or metal-to-metal noise... hence why my mechanic theorized the subframe was the culprit... though the "#13, Rear arm front bushing" described by SeeYa in his schematic is certainly another possibility, as mentioned before.

His post here http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1830889&mode=linear#post1830889 indicates that he calls it a "vibration". (Of course, he doesn't mention he's SpecB there, or within his info.)

I would agree, mine sounds more like a vibration than a growl... it's not as "smooth" as a growl... you can hear the "spaces" between the "events" rather clearly. (Implying that a "growl" has little or no "space" between the noise "events".) In other words, it sounds more like a high-rate clattering or metal-to-metal noise... hence why my mechanic theorized the subframe was the culprit... though the "#13, Rear arm front bushing" described by SeeYa in his schematic is certainly another possibility, as mentioned before.

It isn't that bushing in and of itself that is actually making the noises, although it contributes to the symphony. It is what their lack of support for the rear wheels' alignment enables, which is a rapid, repetitive, back and forth fight for traction between the wheels that loads and unloads the entire drivetrain. This causes the two piece driveshaft assembly to move about in its extremely loose rubber mount as well as virtually every other rubber mounted component in the entire rear of the car. Those top rear diff bushings dance to the same baton.

Give the wheels equal traction, all the time, under all power inputs and you can go quicker, too. :)

BTW, your description of the noise is very good, reflecting my own experiences which have gone but are not forgotten.

And funny how it's only on right handers (at least most of us) and under load (those of us with lots of power). :p

Yes, and no.

Every car has a tendency to lose traction on one side first, turning just exacerbates that fact and starts the chain reaction easier. And under load, of course, while again it starts on that one side first, that extra power overcomes the greater traction straight forward motion provides.

I would agree, mine sounds more like a vibration than a growl... it's not as "smooth" as a growl... you can hear the "spaces" between the "events" rather clearly. (Implying that a "growl" has little or no "space" between the noise "events".) In other words, it sounds more like a high-rate clattering or metal-to-metal noise...

You are correct in your more accurate description.

• 2 weeks later...