LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

Do you have the 4BoxParts rear lower adjustable lateral links (or other RLALL)? If so, check your bushings. I have very loud popping/clacking on left right turns under throttle and find that the outside rubber bushings are shot. Replacing them with Perrin's spherical ball units (which BTW are normally $270/set - now on sale on their site for $124.99/set.

I have them, and it looked like the bushing was shot, upon closer inspection it was just the rubber around it, and it actually was in very good shape.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: You floridians get no sympathy from me! Suck it up, embrace mother winter. ;)

Dammit I just want to know the part to replace to make it go away. It's obviously a piece of crap part/bushing or whatever...

Dude, I love winter. I was just in Vermont driving in the snow and came back to the same weather. :lol:

And I'm not a Floridian, I'm Puerto Rican:p

But still, getting the noise here too.

Dude, I love winter. I was just in Vermont driving in the snow and came back to the same weather. :lol:

And I'm not a Floridian, I'm Puerto Rican:p

But still, getting the noise here too.

That's not loving winter, that's loving the snow. Bit of a difference. Spend months buried in snow and cold and say you love winter, THEN I'll believe you. :lol:

Sorry for the Floridian insult. ;)

• 1 month later...
^ Yes, they are.

Btw, update, even with the cold weather and 300 whp I never noticed the noise again. With and without lowered suspension.

I am running now: Group N enigne mounts, Group N tranny mount, Group N diff bushings (all four) and SpecB trailing arm bushings (in SpecB trailing arms).

Can someone let me know what is the part number for the rear diff support? I can't seem to find it in the vacation pix document, or at least I can't figure out which one it is from the diagrams.

Can someone let me know what is the part number for the rear diff support? I can't seem to find it in the vacation pix document, or at least I can't figure out which one it is from the diagrams.

I can find the part # for ya, but even better I have an extra one for sale... :cool:

Did it actually made a difference?

No, it is not the problem. (I think I know what it is but I have not had time to play with my idea, and now it is getting warmer again)

If you want a slightly firmer rear end this piece will help with that.

new guy here. i just started hearing this tonight, my only mod is a cobb stage1 off the shelf tune and i had 2 passengers in the car. i was showing them the acceleration and almost crapped my self when i heard that sound. i thought i blew up my diff. i havent read through more than 5 pages before skipping to the last. any word?

Nope.... we still all have the issue...

Nobody has found a cure for it.

Several years of it making the noise and not failure to report.... so it appears just to be a nuisance.

I think the back of the rear diff may be hitting the subframe. I haven't had a chance to test out my theory yet, but I was going to put a piece of rubber in between the two and see if that stops it.

Most things that help stiffen up the rear diff will help the problem, but not solve it.

Nope.... we still all have the issue...

Nobody has found a cure for it.

Several years of it making the noise and not failure to report.... so it appears just to be a nuisance.

I wouldn't say that... SeeYa filled in his bushings to eliminate the noise on his vehicle. Granted, it's a messy process, but it seems to have worked for him at least: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305538&postcount=729

As I mentioned in another post, I can't take the car down for the time it will take to cure this goop, so it's not really an option for me. However, I am hoping that an insert-style poly-bushing might be developed for this location... one that will take up the spaces and provide the added stiffness needed.

I wouldn't say that... SeeYa filled in his bushings to eliminate the noise on his vehicle. Granted, it's a messy process, but it seems to have worked for him at least: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305538&postcount=729

As I mentioned in another post, I can't take the car down for the time it will take to cure this goop, so it's not really an option for me. However, I am hoping that an insert-style poly-bushing might be developed for this location... one that will take up the spaces and provide the added stiffness needed.

Remember that SeeeYa lives in a warm climate.

Remember that SeeeYa lives in a warm climate.

One that has seen record low temps (sub-teens and 20s) for a lot of this winter...coldest on record. And SeeeYa doesn't have that car anymore so someone on here might have it now and can comment.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

One that has seen record low temps (sub-teens and 20s) for a lot of this winter...coldest on record. And SeeeYa doesn't have that car anymore so someone on here might have it now and can comment.

sub teens is a lot different then -35.

Jeff (SeeeYa) had a good point in filling in that bushing. I ended up buying Spec-B bushings, which are a bit better then regular ones. I do think it made a difference, but it did not solve the problem.

Yeah - anything that takes the sponginess/gaps out of the diff bushings has got to help some. I wish there were a way to set up a video of the rear diff under load, both from the front and rear of it, to pinpoint what is actually happening back there. Replacing the 4boxparts RALLs with Perrin bits helped, but didn't do away with the clunking on hard turns under acceleration - and even sometimes under straight-line acceleration under less than dry conditions.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I realize that he was in a warmer climate, but the point is simple: He had the problem, he filled the bushing, and the noise went away. With that progression, it doesn't really matter how cold it is numerically, since he's dealing with the same vehicle and similar temperatures.

Secondly, no one else (that I know of) has replicated his effort. Sure, installing SpecB bushings might help, and LBGT even says it helped a little... but they still have spacing and flex in them, and don't eliminate that completely, as SeeYa did. So, although you can't directly compare the two efforts, they both have shown to have an effect, at least... which implies this is where we should be working... right? No other location has shown any or any-significant improvement... has it? Doesn't this mean we should be concentrating our efforts on the one lead we have?

As for my noise, I've simply been to lazy to do anything about it. Well, that and a lack of time to experiment... so I certainly have no excuse, but at least I'm ok with it :)

Again, with Group N bushings all around the diff (subframe + lower support), SpecB arms/lateral links, STI spherical bushing lateral links and R180 diff, Group N tranny and engine mounts I have never noticed the problem anymore at all despite being at 300+ whp this winter. In winter I run JDM Bilsteins (with stock JDM springs), so not lowered, but I had this problem with this setup before.

Granted it has not been super cold this winter in MA, but tightening up the drivetrain cured the problem for me.

Everything that I did that helped the problem, did just that, it helped it.

By helped I mean, it went away, only return on a colder day. At 350 wtq I don't really get the noise until it is below 0F outside. I did the spec-B bushings (among a million other things). I thought it went away. But then on a colder morning I was proved wrong.

• 8 months later...
I will say... I am on my second 05 LGT now. My first one was returned to the dealer i purchased it from because of a problem that sounds a LOT like this. It was in all gears though. First the dealer bs'd me and told me I needed a new driveshaft, blah blah. I found metal shards in my dif fluids and gave them hell.... Turns out they had replaced the tranny when they got the car and put a N/A leggy transmission in instead of a GT tranny. Yeah...

• 2 weeks later...