LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

I bought some Group-N replacement bushings. For the rear diff front crossmember as well as the rear bushings (in subframe).

The Group N are made of much stronger rubber, but otherwise are like OEM (by definition they need to have OEM shape). And of course they are not liquid-filled (the stock front crossmember ones are).

They are JDM only and meant for 08+ STI, but they will fit LGT (I cross referenced stock part numbers between 08 STI and LGT). I got them via Rallispec. Part numbers:

ST41322ZR020 - rear diff (in subframe)

ST41322ZR000 - rear diff front crossmember (RH)

ST41322ZR010 - rear diff front crossmember (LH)

(note, I went with two RH ones, see next post for more info).

I pulled the subframe from the car today (thanks atc5 for the help!!). If you ever wondered how LGT subframe looks outside the car (err... inside another car)... or the car without subframe check the attached pictures.

Interestingly the subframe bushings feel very solid. Not the squishy soft type rubber, but not quite as stiff as Group N. Group N has replacements for STI, but I don't know if they would fit. By eyeballing diagrams I don't think they would. The problem is OEM subframe bushings for either LGT or STI are not available from Subaru separately.

2009-01-02_202634_a__4464.thumb.jpg.3a887707c9e09763e85c98006da98e99.jpg

2009-01-02_202643_a__4465.thumb.jpg.26bbbebe9f218bfb5f536ba6e655d751.jpg

2009-01-03_183759_b__2228.thumb.jpg.ccfa5161726e36e31af12471054d8870.jpg

2009-01-03_194538_b__2229.thumb.jpg.55fcb2282d138f060a1db2f69037496f.jpg

2009-01-03_194604_b__2232.thumb.jpg.554c256199cb49844a6be8356dcab4ce.jpg

Edited by unclemat

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the diff crossmember bushings. Some cars - 07+ SpecB and 08+ STI (perhaps WRX, too) come with different left and right bushings. Left has voids and appears to not be liquid filled like the the right one.

I wonder if the change has something to do with the growl? Or perhaps with the liquid filled bushings leaking? See attached picture. From top:

USDM MY05 LGT

JDM unknown MY LGT

USDM MY08 LGT SpecB

Note the RH/LH is not related to left hand or right drive. It's the same on JDM and USDM cars. So it must be related to the rotation direction of the driveshaft (anyone knows btw, what it is the direction?).

Anyway, since the purpose of this exercise was to stiffen up everything I decided to get both solid ones.

2009-01-03_230221_a__4473.thumb.jpg.c58bc5f6af0aa550c002dff6e206f323.jpg

2009-01-03_230111_a__4472.thumb.jpg.12e9c587e487336b39a848a6a0ddf9b4.jpg

The gaps on the 08+ are filled with the Whiteline inserts that also include the two diff mount inserts, which I think is a cheaper option that the route you took but since you were replacing the 4 main mounts, might as well but wonder how those STi would feel with the WL inserts to boot.:p

Now, where are the driving impressions? :)

I don't believe in the inserts. At least not in the squishy stock bushings. They are like marshmallows. Actually adding the inserts to the Group N bushings may make sense.

If by 4 main mounts you mean subframe bushings - no - I am not replacing these, there are no replacemnts as I wrote.

Driving impressions are hard to have without an enigne ;)

bah! :p

I'm trying the 08 mount bushings for those 4 mounts.

08 bushings from what? STI/Group N? The OEM bushings cannot be bought separately.

Or these WL or Kartboy inserts? They won't work, our subframe bushings are solid (as you can see in the pic I posted).

it's a "ring" that goes between the chasis and the subframe that "locks" it in place.

I don't see how that would work. Actually on LGT there are metal spacers/rings (I didn't take picture of them0 that go between car body and the subframe. PU bushings is not gonna make it any stiffer or lock anything there.

• 1 month later...

Whats really sad is that as a person looking to trade my wrx in on a legacy gt I am now not even looking at any 05 models because this "could" be a problem after I go to staged upgrades and it would drive me absolutly NUTS!...and of course there are no 06's availible in my area right now. I've been checking back here for about a month or more now hoping that you guys were able to find a solution but it appears there is no easy fix for this other than passing up the 05 model entirely. that sucks

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Whats really sad is that as a person looking to trade my wrx in on a legacy gt I am now not even looking at any 05 models because this "could" be a problem after I go to staged upgrades and it would drive me absolutly NUTS!...and of course there are no 06's availible in my area right now. I've been checking back here for about a month or more now hoping that you guys were able to find a solution but it appears there is no easy fix for this other than passing up the 05 model entirely. that sucks

Dave

If this 05 vs. 06 issue then replacing the support piece I wrote about in some post above would solve the issue.

correct me if I am wrong but from the info I have gathered it is a different subframe design or using a little different mounting design. There are very few non 05 cars that have chimed in on this thread. I would say about 90 percent maybe? Mileage seems to not be relivent either. That leads me to believe I have much better luck not being affected by it if I go with an 06. who knows

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

correct me if I am wrong but from the info I have gathered it is a different subframe design or using a little different mounting design. There are very few non 05 cars that have chimed in on this thread. I would say about 90 percent maybe? Mileage seems to not be relivent either. That leads me to believe I have much better luck not being affected by it if I go with an 06. who knows

Dave

Maybe That is the answer. There was an issue with the 05's that they fixed in 06???? Dunno and has anyone looked/checked PNs and such between the two years?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I checked and posted about it some posts up. Subframe part # is different (difference in last letter, points at minor revision). Noticebale difference is elimination of support plate. See post #658.

unclemat - As one of the 06 owners experiencing this noise (all the time on these cold New England days!)... I revisited your post #658. Am I to understand that if I look for the extra bracing on my car (PN 20157B) and find it, that maybe this explains the noise on my 06?

As you can see, I'm a little slow on the uptake here... didn't notice these differences were mentioned in your post. I guess I assumed that as an 06 owner, I would not have this brace... but I suppose it's possible?

unclemat - As one of the 06 owners experiencing this noise (all the time on these cold New England days!)... I revisited your post #658. Am I to understand that if I look for the extra bracing on my car (PN 20157B) and find it, that maybe this explains the noise on my 06?

As you can see, I'm a little slow on the uptake here... didn't notice these differences were mentioned in your post. I guess I assumed that as an 06 owner, I would not have this brace... but I suppose it's possible?

That is correct.

Pm me your car's VIN. I'll be able to verify what your car should have come from factory.

So yeah, if 05 have the noise - and your 06 also has the noise and the brace - I think it's really probable that the brace is the culrpit.

PM sent... let us know what you find!

According to Subarufast your car should NOT have that support plate/brace and should be like any other 06. Can you take a pic of the subframe on your car so we can be sure we can verify what you have?

I am really starting to think SeeeeeYa was right about the bushing in the rear arm.

Very likely. My car is back on the road, but I am breaking it in, so haven't had opportunity to nail it yet plus it got bit warmer recently, but no odd sounds from the rear so far.

Besides I am on my winter suspension - JDM GT Rev.A Bilsteins w/JDM GT OEM springs so it's stock height essentially.... but then I was getting it on Bilstiens w/JDM SpecB OEM springs (10mm drop) before.

For future reference, here's a link to the post with unclemat's pics on it:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2207450&postcount=658

Had to put the rear wheels on ramps to get a good view of the area. That said, here is the best picture that I took of that area (click to view larger):

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/24/921208/LGTRearSubframe_thumb.jpg

The pic is taken from behind the rear driver-side wheel (visible in the photo). If you look at the sway bar mount, you can easily identify the sway bar. If my car had the brace, then I would expect to find it just "behind" the sway bar in the photo, and it would mount to the bolt to the right of the sway-bar mount... which is the rear bolt on the subframe. Am I seeing this all correctly?

Based on this photo, I'd say I DON'T have the brace on my car...