LegacyGT.com

$400 ebay exhaust

biz77

here is the sound of my exhaust.. if you want to see it better ill be at the meet in renick this saturday.

http://www.xo2racing.com/video/legacy.AVI

Thanks for the clip, it sounds great! I am curious to know if you could do a full throttle drive by, just to see what it sounds like a full boogie. So quality was good? And the cat back fit well, all stainless, and good sound? As others have ask, highway drone? Did you have a resonator weled in or is that sound clip "as shipped" w/o any additional resonator?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the clip, it sounds great! I am curious to know if you could do a full throttle drive by, just to see what it sounds like a full boogie. So quality was good? And the cat back fit well, all stainless, and good sound? As others have ask, highway drone? Did you have a resonator weled in or is that sound clip "as shipped" w/o any additional resonator?

I'm pretty sure the sound clip is with the addition of a large resonator and a high flow ceramic cat. Those 2 things will definately mellow the sound. That's how Peter's car was configured the last time I saw it about 1 month ago.

Hmm...a little of topic but do you think we could get them to make us a tmic. As long as its a good core and is good fitment I dont see why not, especially if wrx guys have had luck with this company. I don't want crap quality but If we talked to some people who have owned these intercoolers it might give us som insight :)

Definately on the TMIC. And even if it is resonated a glasspack resonator can be had for only $20 from Summit, just take the after cat mid pipe to any muffler shop and they should be able to weld it in for $5-$10. Boom done for about $30-40 and still under $400 befor shipping!

Definately on the TMIC. And even if it is resonated a glasspack resonator can be had for only $20 from Summit, just take the after cat mid pipe to any muffler shop and they should be able to weld it in for $5-$10. Boom done for about $30-40 and still under $400 befor shipping!

I vote for a front mount, if I could pick up a front mount for the same or less than the Perrin top mount, and it was of good quality, to me that seems a better route. But an inexpensive top mount would also be appreciated.

I am seriously considering this exhaust, it looks great and being that my UP/DP are stock it should not be too terribly loud.

I believe that the DP has been confirmed NOT to fit correctly at this time.

As for whether or not some other options are worth the money, that's up to the consumer. Some people find value in a $1500 catback. A $400 catback is certainly very aggressively priced, but there are other considerations other than price when buying goods. Fitment, build quality, quality control, longevity and perhaps most importantly customer support all play into the equation. I obviously market a competing product which I feel is priced very reasonably in light of all these factors.

For the guys who want the cheapest option possible (likely even cheaper than buying muffler, tips, flanges, tubing and having it all welded), the ebay exhaust is a valid option.

Hmmm, interesting, my DP seems to fit fine.

Hmmm, interesting, my DP seems to fit fine.

That sounds great. I asked the seller about any fitment issues that the previous poster had mentioned but I didn't get a response.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the DP to turbo connection and / or the DP to midpipe connection?

Were you able to reuse the donut gasket by flipping it like other people do with the Perrin DP?

You have the DP from this seller, I am very interested please do give your opinions on it :munch:

It's actually not a bad piece, the welds are not sloppy at all, I did find the CNC'd flanges a little thin (3/8" instead of 1/2") and they weren't cut as well as I would have liked. It's basically like a Perrin except the divorced waste gate pipe does not exit into the main exhaust as far down on the main pipe as a Perrin. The main pipe is 2.75" at the top and a true 3" at the exit. Mine mated up perfectly on both ends (YMMV of course), I used 18mm spark plug foulers with my rear O2 to suppress the CEL, and used new gaskets. Seems to work ok as far as I know.

My LGT came with the ebay exhaust (X02 Racing) except instead of being that look, its a clone of the GReddy EVO. It's cheap quality and who ever welded it before is now making my life a bit tougher since I have to buy a shorty DP. It does drone pretty good and it is loud. One tip hangs down lower and sticks out a bit farther so I will be heading to an exhaust shop soon to get it fixed.

http://polishdude.com/subaru/LGT/Picture-187.jpg

http://polishdude.com/subaru/LGT/Picture-182.jpg

Here is a sound clip. Only mods on the car so far is the exhaust and a K&N Typhoon.

http://polishdude.com/subaru/LGT/ebay%20exhaust.avi

whatever boostjunkie said is true that is what i have under the car but everything is still cheaper then you think the whole set up is not that expensive and the fmic is from the same person very good core too and the fit ment is from WRX I just mod it to fix my car. but if you have any question then let me know.

RBP_MY05's system doesn't even look like what they are advertizing now... I just wonder if he got a previous version, or a preliminary attempt...

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/10056586/Images/cb-sl-1.jpg

The mufflers and tips look much different. I wouldn't like the ones that RBP has, I like the ones pictured from the e-bay ad.

I am still seriously considering this, though, although I am considering lots of things...

But I am thinking that with the two following products installed in the forward section, between the after-cat junction, and the y-split...

Both, and many more products can be found here: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/verociousmotorsports

Aero Turbine Resonator/Muffler, 3" in and out.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/images/3/4040L_1.jpg

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/images/3/atl_cross_sect_illus.jpg

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/Images/3/air_flow_illus.jpg

Specifications:

I/O: 3" x 3" (76mm x 76mm)

B: 21-5/8" (549mm)

D: 6" (152mm)

OAL: 26" (660mm)

Material: 304L Stainless Steel

Finish: Bright Polished

Weight: 9 lbs

Part#: AT3030XL

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/Images/3/at_dimension_illus.gif

Voracious Motorsports 3" weld-in flex coupling

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/thumbs/11/tn4_1487232.jpg

I am thinking that it might need a slight s-bend jog after the "donut" flange to align the aero turbine muffler within the exhaust tunnel, so it doesn't rub on the sides.

With the Aero turbine resonator/muffler in the mid-section, and the XO2 racing mufflers at the ends, I am hoping it will be nicely subdued at idle, and at cruise, and with the non-obstructed exhaust path will allow flow (and a bit of sound) on accelleration. The flex joint should help isolate a bit of the mechanical vibration, and allow it to fit soundly.

Now... to sell my truck, finalize the design, buy the parts, and find a welder to combine it, and install it.

I am also considering scuffing the axle-back parts, and painting the mufflers to the flanges black, and leave the nice tips polished, with a ring stripe... kind of like a Pace-setter/Monza exhaust, although theirs aren't stainless, or have such nice dual-walled tips.

I also have some exhaust wrap on my existing stock y-pipe, that subastyle installed. I am thinking that re-using that wrap on the X02 3.0-2.5 inch y-pipe, to keep some heat off of the differential and rear inner CV joints. Any problems with unwrapping, and re-using exhaust heat wrap?

More theoretically, If I were going a step further...

Since there appears to be a joint in the XO2 system just before the Y-split, and I want to put the aero turbine in forward of that... I would go with some 3" stainless tubing from the aero turbine unit forward, through a High-flow metal catalyst and a heat sheild, the associated hanger bracket, probably still with a flex joint somewhere in there, all the way up to the down-pipe flange, and then use a non-catted helix, flow, PDE, or some other shorty down-pipe with a nicely made turbo outlet.

Basically from the downpipe flange to the pre-y-pipe flange would be one 3" diameter piece, with no donut flange, down the center of the car, with the catalyst, and the resonator/muffler in it. Then, a UP/DP, and maybe a header change could allow a rotated turbo, or a twin scroll, or whatever... and the rest of the exhaust would stay in place, and not have the donut flange bottleneck.

As it is, I will probably leave the OE catalyst in place, and worry about that, and a DP later.

But I am thinking that with the two following products installed in the forward section, between the after-cat junction, and the y-split...

Aero Turbine Resonator/Muffler, 3" in and out.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/images/3/4040L_1.jpg

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/images/3/atl_cross_sect_illus.jpg

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/Images/3/air_flow_illus.jpg

Specifications:

I/O: 3" x 3" (76mm x 76mm)

B: 21-5/8" (549mm)

D: 6" (152mm)

OAL: 26" (660mm)

Material: 304L Stainless Steel

Finish: Bright Polished

Weight: 9 lbs

Part#: AT3030XL

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/Images/3/at_dimension_illus.gif

Voracious Motorsports 3" weld-in flex coupling

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/thumbs/11/tn4_1487232.jpg

I am thinking that it might need a slight s-bend jog after the "donut" flange to align the aero turbine muffler within the exhaust tunnel, so it doesn't rub on the sides.

With the Aero turbine resonator/muffler in the mid-section, and the XO2 racing mufflers at the ends, I am hoping it will be nicely subdued at idle, and at cruise, and with the non-obstructed exhaust path will allow flow (and a bit of sound) on accelleration. The flex joint should help isolate a bit of the mechanical vibration, and allow it to fit soundly.

Now... to sell my truck, finalize the design, buy the parts, and find a welder to combine it, and install it.

I am also considering scuffing the axle-back parts, and painting the mufflers to the flanges black, and leave the nice tips polished, with a ring stripe... kind of like a Pace-setter/Monza exhaust, although theirs aren't stainless, or have such nice dual-walled tips.

I also have some exhaust wrap on my existing stock y-pipe, that subastyle installed. I am thinking that re-using that wrap on the X02 3.0-2.5 inch y-pipe, to keep some heat off of the differential and rear inner CV joints. Any problems with unwrapping, and re-using exhaust heat wrap?

More theoretically, If I were going a step further...

Since there appears to be a joint in the XO2 system just before the Y-split, and I want to put the aero turbine in forward of that... I would go with some 3" stainless tubing from the aero turbine unit forward, through a High-flow metal catalyst and a heat sheild, the associated hanger bracket, probably still with a flex joint somewhere in there, all the way up to the down-pipe flange, and then use a non-catted helix, flow, PDE, or some other shorty down-pipe with a nicely made turbo outlet.

Basically from the downpipe flange to the pre-y-pipe flange would be one 3" diameter piece, with no donut flange, down the center of the car, with the catalyst, and the resonator/muffler in it. Then, a UP/DP, and maybe a header change could allow a rotated turbo, or a twin scroll, or whatever... and the rest of the exhaust would stay in place, and not have the donut flange bottleneck.

As it is, I will probably leave the OE catalyst in place, and worry about that, and a DP later.

Dude, you do realize that the Aero Turbine muffler and 3" flex cost well over $200? Add in the labor involved, especially if you want it all TIG'ed together (easily $100 for good TIG work), and you will end up spending more money compared to several other quality choices that will be properly setup right out of the box.

I obviously sell the MR exhaust, which has both a resonator and a flex section, and it will cost you less than your proposed worked over Ebay exhaust. Heck you can buy a Greddy SP2 or Borla for the money you are talking about.

There is something for everyone out there, and the Ebay catback is certainly a valid option for some, but if you something quiet, but a catback that was designed that way. Who knows if after dropping over $300 in mods on a $400 exhaust if it will actually perform the way you want it to. For that money, buy something proven.

Yes, and that is why I am still keeping my options open.

Others have mentioned the Borla option, and that is still on the table. The Greddy SP2 doesn't seem too bad, but I don't like the tip design on either one as well as the double-walled tip pictured above. It may be superficial, but I like what I like, otherwise I might as well find and put stock mufflers back on the car, and save the cash, and buy something else, which is ALSO a possibility.

The X02 system is 350$ first bid, and has been re-listed without bids several times. 400 for buy-it now. Verocious Motorsports has the Aero Turbine for ~225, before a 50$ coupon, and the flex is about 65$. Shipping may be slightly more, having parts shipped from two sources, but shipping will be a cost, no matter what products I decide on.

Even with 300$ estimated for modification, it is still 650-700$. Borla, and Greddy are both listed at about 750-850 by vendors here, SPT, Autospeed, and others are even higher. The Greddy might flow well... but some people here don't think that the Borla is as highly flowing as some others, and it clearly has some short radius 90-degree bends from the axle backward, which don't seem to me to be all that efficient for exhaust flow.

The Megan Racing option is a good price, and a good product, but would be really attractive to me if it had a single double-walled tip per side. two tips per side isn't my cup of tea. TDC has them listed for 650, and I am betting that changing the tips would require changing out or significantly modifying the mufflers, which again puts it up above 750$, and possibly higher, and is probably no less work than modifying the X02 catback.

I like the look, and the audio clip I heard of Autospeed's cat-back, and even their downpipe, too, but there are fitment issues, and they are expensive to begin with, almost 1000$ for just the cat-back.

by all means name them.

the criteria are: that it flow reasonably well (as in an improvement over stock), are quiet enough to not intrude with noise in the cabin when cruising, and doesn't wake the neighbors on startup, and have a nice-looking muffler and single tip per side, and is entirely made out of stainless steel.

obviously, my theoretical system above would be cheaper with a less expensive resonator, rather than the aero turbine muffler/resonator, but I kinda like the aero turbine concept, of having a resonator 1st stage, and a "turbine" second stage that creates a low pressure scavenge effect at the exit of the muffler.

Archived