LegacyGT.com

Photochop request

IwannaSportSedan

I am just curious if I could get someone to do a chop, or a few for me. I am thinking about lightening up the look of the car, either by painting my existing wheels silver, or going with some alternate silver wheels.

If someone could "paint" my wheels silver, or chop the wheels shown below into the pic, I'm interested to see what it might look like. (photo credit to Subastyle, hosted and posted by me.)

http://homepage.mac.com/mkutzli/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2006-10-12%2013.15.10%20-0700/100_0019.jpg

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/datas2/SEBRING/090_ITC_SD/big.jpgorhttp://www.wheelmax.com/_images/products/arius_z.gif

What do you guys think? I am considering a little less hard-core tuner look with the dark wheels, a little more of a nice, slick looking sleeper, that gives hints that it isn't to be trifled with. only hints, before I teach the lesson directly with the loud pedal.

I am not getting rid of the black details on the car, and I might even add a couple more bits, but just curious about adding silver to the mix.

Actually, the wheels on there now are not bad looking, and I think Subastyle did a great job painting them. they were originally white on a white car when xenonk had them, and that would look really out of place with GRP. I understand the red and black theme the car has. Heck, that is part of the reason I bought it!

The more I think about it, though, I just want to add some brightness. The Excel TZ-10 wheels kind of look like Spec B wheels with a radius to the spokes. they need to have the paint fixed anyway... so I am contemplating it. I unfortunately curbed the rear passenger side wheel the other day, and the white paint is showing through a bit... It is fixable, and the wheels are coming off the car soon, for the winter, anyway.

Stock wheels and Dunlop Graspic D2 winter tires are going on for the winter, and that will give me a chance to repair the finish on those 10-spoke wheels. I am seriously considering painting the spokes and rim edge with a brighter silver, and leaving the inner rim dark, the way it is.

The first wheel pictured, though is the Sebring ITC-SD, a two-piece cast wheel from Rays Engineering, of Volk Racing fame. Looks very much like a two piece version of the BBS Challenge wheel, and more curved than the forged BBS RE. The BBS Challenge won't fit our cars, and the RE is very expensive.

The second one is the Ace Arius. A 9-pair spoke wheel, reminiscent of the BBS RGR. The Arius wheel is cast, as well, and one piece, where the BBS RGR is one piece forged, and eight spoke pairs, and also very expensive.

Both the ITC-SD and the Arius come in fitments for 5x100, 48mm Offset in 18x7.5 width. Pretty standard for Subaru WRX, 04 STI, and Legacy fitment. Ace Arius wheel seems to be easier to find at online vendors. the Sebring ITC-SD is nearly impossible to find, and I have yet to see a price listed. Rays' website (from japan, but does have an english version) has it listed for specs, but they are not an online store.

The ITC-SD, btw, is shown on Rays' website as being available silver painted center, as shown, or diamond cut machined face, with silver or black painted side relief. the rim is reversed, and polished stainless steel.

there are also many color options for the center cap, although I would almost want to see if BBS-style caps would fit, and maybe get black STI center caps, like the S204 comes with, or make replicas of that. I really think the ITC-SD wheels with STI-replica black centers and McGard black lugs would look amazing on the car... just a question of cash, and finding a vendor for those wheels.

(then the only question is, do I add the chrome trim rocker panels to the car, with silver/polished lip rims... :D )

I didn't even realize that the ones you've got now are TZ-10's - I had those on my Mazda6 (silver) and got beaucoup compliments. I know the current owner of the car and those wheels still look great - impressive for the cost!

I can't help you with the Photoshop request - sorry!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

leave as is! that car is bad ass! even better in person. couldn't tell he had painted them when I was over at his house
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I guess there are no 'chop artists frequenting this thread.... I was hoping to see a digital mock up of some silver wheels so that I could have something to compare...

And with several votes for and against the black wheels... seeing the difference on the screen might help.

Keep the black theme IWSS.

If you get big bright silver wheels you might as well swap in some '06 head lights.

Your car has great flow as it is... and red legacies look best with black accents- better than any other colour available IMO.

I wish I knew how to do hyperblack... that kind of mid-grey hematite color...

black is just too dark, and the detail of the wheel gets lost. fully bright silver is too much for the rest of the car. (although I am still diggin the medium silver of the Sebring ITC-SD wheels)

black wheels just remind me too much of riced out ford focuses, and police cruisers.

I stopped by the new autoparts store... and I felt a bit odd pulling in. A Neon, a Tc, and ford focus all had black tuner wheels, and all of them were rice, even with domestic nameplates.

The Tc guy was actually an employee, and asked me if my car had the STI motor in it, because he beat an STI with his 100-shot of Nawwwz.

No offense to anyone around here who identifies with that crowd, but I don't so much. I am not in college anymore, maybe that is it... I prefer the 325xi that challenged me, and LOST, (a girl in a maxima tried and failed, too.) from a stop light the other day... thinking that her bimmer was all that...

But it was odd to pull in with a 300+ hp, manual trans, AWD honest-to-goodness sport sedan with a nice leather interior, and wondering if passers-by would lump my car in with the rest...

I agree with you IWSS, the blacked out wheels are too much for the grp. I'm thinking that I'd like to get something for a summer tire that is maybe 20-30% darker than the stockers. I also plan on doing the jinsu tails (w/ clear reverse), medium tint even all around and de-bling the headlights. The grille will stay stock until the bumper swap when the tuned by STi grille goes in. The black accents really do look good on these cars but wheels are not an accent item, they're a main feature.

Darker than stock, lighter than black FTW.

I guess there is always a difference in opinion, I personally almost always like a car with rims at least a touch darker than the paint.

As for asking yourself whether you would put the wheels on your BMW, heres my Bimmer with anthracite team dynamics, cars a little dirty but.....

5series.jpg.f7f74d252c5e41d9ed7a7c0988544fb5.jpg

Thanks for the 'chops. I think somewhere between the hyper black, but more subdued than the bright silver is about where I want to be. the trick will be to get that color from a paint process.

Bronze, for my taste, is one of those "Like to visit, but wouldn't really want to live there" situations. looks good. not sure if I would like it every day for a long while.

I'll probably also leave the inside of the wheel rim, behind the spokes painted dark charcoal, as is. I'll spend a lot of time masking and prepping the front part of the wheels... I am debating on whether I should strip the existing paint off chemically and re-prime, for paint adhesion and weight reduction. three coats of paint might start to weigh something.

The other option is just to re-finish the light scratches, and touch up the charcoal paint, and see who's interested in buying them. Those ITC-SD wheels are calling to me. They are so JDM, I might have to have them imported. probably not cheap. I wonder if they are as expensive as RGRs... :D

any chance I can beseech another chop of the ITC-SD wheels on the car? :D

thanks again for all the constructive comments, on all sides!

• 4 weeks later...
I just dont know why you would want to Mess up a picaso.....

so your calling yourself a picaso now huh?:icon_wink

have to admit I like them black too. picture just doesn't do it justice.

Iwanna........how about a trade, I'll trade my stockers for 'em:icon_bigg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I like the black. If you are going to lighten them up, I wouldn't go any lighter than hyper-black. Much lighter and they throw off the visual balance of the car.

If you re-do the paint, including removing the old layers, that might make a good write-up. I'd certainly like to hear about it. I have a small penchant to go slightly darker with the stock OBXT rims, but it would be nice to get an idea of how much of a headache (or not) it is.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Sorry if I upset you, subastyle... completely not my intention. I like the wheels, but I also like the silver of the OE wheels that are on the car now, so I am torn. If I could split the difference, for a nice gunmetal finish, to really show off the convex inward curve of those wheels, I think it might look quite good. These are one of the few Legacy-fitment wheels that actually do curve inward, with the high-offset.

I took some pics last night of the car while I was giving it a good hand-wash after our thanksgiving trip, with the car still lowered, but with the OE wheels, and without the front lip. (the front lip and wheels will go back on in the spring...) Even with silver wheels, the car is teh SECKS!

Hey... My 78yr old grandma thinks the car has "those new fancy spinning wheels that keep spinning when standing still". Yah. That is what Legacy OE Wheels are. Sure, grandma.

Unfortunately, I curbed one of the Exel wheels, and it is going to have to be fixed, anyway. the white paint is showing through on four spokes. (that day sucked. Wife in the hospital with the flu, and I go and do something stupid, like parallel parking against a hard square curb. :mad: )

BTW, Subastyle, what brand and color paint did you use? I may need to try to match it. Duplicolor Graphite wheel paint looks like it, but it is hard to tell from a paint can cap.

I may try to strip and re-coat the spokes, Duke Trout, and I will do a write-up if I do. I am not quite sure how to do hyper black, short of sanding or stripping the wheels and taking them in for professional paint or powdercoating.

I am thinking of trying some of Alsa Corp.'s metal deposition spray paints that replicate chrome and "brushed" chrome... I am wondering if the satin-finish "ghost chrome" stuff would completely cover the current very dark base color, or if that would tone it down toward a hyper-silver/gunmetal color... They do have a more reflective darkened chrome, as well. (and other colors...) I am thinking one of those options might be possibility, but that paint isn't exactly cheap or available at the corner hardware store.

With that option, I may not have to strip the wheel completely, if I can fix the graphite paint, and either leave them as is, or try to put a hyper-silver/hyper-black finish over that.

It will probably be spring before I get around to doing that, and the weather will allow me to do any paint stripping, a touch of scratch repair work, and painting of any kind.

BTW, C-lo, what would I do with ANOTHER set of stock wheels? :D I already traded off the 17" summer tires, in favor of winter tires on the stockers I already have! Although several people have offered to buy the exel wheels...

I am still hoping someone could chop the Sebring and Ace wheels onto my car... I am still smitten by those, though, too. The sebring especially. I might sell the exels to get those, if they aren't unholy expensive, and impossible to find. What are the chances of that, though?

Archived