LegacyGT.com

Car Trek I: The Long Drive Home

Finally back home. Almost a full day later than planned, but a good trip.

Saw Niagara Falls, drove 1419 miles. About 25 real MPG at 45-80mph... no incidents, other than some idiot drivers on the highway.

The car is great. VERY fast, and can handle long miles easier than I can. WAY too easy to break the law in this car. 65mph is a walk

Exhaust drones a bit, 18" tires hit frost heaves and pavement changes HARD. As in wondering if the struts or wheels are bent kind of hard. Not sure if it is tire sidewall (lack of) height, lack of high-speed damping action, or the spring rate on the whitelines... but as long as the pavement isn't broken up, it is really pretty smooth for a lowered car on 18"s. Broken and rough pavement is nasty.

Seats aren't the most comfortable, but also not the worst. I have a lot of experience with the uneven floor under the dead pedal, and the odd location of the gas pedal. Did cause some leg pain... but no car in this price class is going to feel good for three straight days.

VERY tired. Need sleep. Tomorrow is still vacation day, so the car gets washed, maybe new license plates, and I'll try to post more.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, it has been hectic. The trip took longer than we thought, but it was good.

The car is great. it is fast, but more impressively, it is EASY to go fast. Passing? already done!

We stopped at Dakin Farms VT, and the wife bought some syrup and a t-shirt and stuff... nice little place. We stopped at a diner on the new-york side for some lunch, stopped and looked at some antiques... generally took it a bit easy. I didn't realize that a lot of that road has speed limits at about 45mph, and not a lot of places to pass. Very pretty country, though, and lots of little towns. Just didn't stretch the car's legs much, or make very fast progress.

We finally got to the NY Throughway north of Scenectady (sp?) NY, and headed west, had dinner in Utica, and stayed overnight just east of Buffalo.

It was pretty uneventful driving, a lot of smooth highway, which the car just eats up. Set the cruise just shy of 70, and let her go.

I am of a mixed mind about tollways. On one hand, we spent a decent amount of money between central new york, and central Illinois on tolls... but the traffic wan't all that bad on the open stretches, and the service stops are nice. On one hand I though we were already paying for the interstates in our taxes, but on the other hand, it seems to weed out some of the morons-out-driving-around...

Saturday morning, we went north of buffalo, and up to Niagara Falls. Saw the falls up close, and took some pictures. The closest the car got was the parking lot, so the car isn't in any of those pics. After buying a couple of little souvenirs, we got back on the road.

While at Niagara, we walked across the bridge to the Canada side, figuring it would be faster. We walked straight across, the canadian customs officer asked "how long are you going to be here?" about a half hour... So we did a little shopping, and messed around for a little while. When we tried to go back, it cost $.50 to go through the turnstile on the canada to US side, and on the US side of the bridge, we had to wait for about 20 minutes in line at customs, while one border agent was handling all of the pedestrian inspections... Crazy. I decided for sure, that we wouldn't be driving through Canada, and trying to re-enter the US in Michigan. South of Lake Erie we went...

So, we headed south through Buffalo, and on through Erie, PA. Filled up the gas tank again, and cruised through Ohio. We crossed the whole state of Ohio on 3/4 of a tank of gas, including the craziness through Cleveland. I was getting tired, and actually my wife was driving in Cleveland. I was then wide awake during that ordeal, and should have probably driven it myself.

I noticed after one stop in western Ohio that the oil level was below the minimum mark on the dipstick, so we took a 5-mile tour looking for someplace that carried 5w30 synthetic. Four truck stops later, we finally found some mobil 1. I wouldn't have thought it would have been that hard to find...

We stopped for the night across the Indiana border, in Fremont, after taking a wrong exit lane, and heading north a mile to cross over into Michigan, and back. It was getting late, by that point. Oh, well. One more state added to the tally.

Sunday Morning we filled up the tank again, re-checked the fluids, and were off again. Across indiana, through Chicago (what a mess...) and a bit further west before lunch. On through the quad cities on the mississippi, and onward to Des Moines. almost 600 miles. The car was doing fine, but the wife was not doing so well. After three days on the road, and the day before that in a plane, we were both ready to be home. Few stops, and mostly just pushing to get home as soon as possible (Sorry hogmeat... maybe sometime we'll stop on our way to visit relatives in eastern IA)

We picked up the truck at the DSM Airport, and the drove home from there (about 40 miles) She drove the truck, after I gave her the choice... She said she was having a hard time keeping up, and I was honestly trying to keep a leash on it, knowing that she was trying to follow. Evidently the car is fast in EVERY condition.

We got closer to home, (just outside of town, actually) and I took a litte rural side road on the way, and took some sweepers at "extra-"legal speeds. Very nice, until a broken down old mercury cougar pulled out in front of me, and proceeded at 40mph. It slowed to less than 5mph to turn off again, and I think I went from barely a roll to about triple digits (momentarily) faster than most cars do 0-60. The car just got up and got GONE!

Sunday night, I unpacked the car, and got things put away in the garage, so that I could pull it in. Both the wife and I were both dead tired.

Yesterday, after a little recouperation, I went to the courthouse, and paid the taxes and registration... ouch. I think between the taxes on flights, hotels, gasoline (especially in NY), tolls, and taxes and registration on the car, I think the Gov'ts made out with nearly $2k from my little adventure. Probably more than half the total expense.

I gave the car a bath, and cleaned all the bugs off, and put the new Iowa plates on, and other than needing another tank of gas today, and an oil change here before it gets too cold, I think it is still good to go.

And my wife really does like the car (I don't think I'll be able to get her to travel again for a good long time, though...) She especially loves the heated seats. I think she had hers turned on most of the way home...

Really, no large complaints at all. The exhaust was a little loud after three days straight at nearly constant speed, and the tires seemed to not like hard edges on broken pavement, but they are very low-profile. some typical leg and back stiffness after so many hours in a car, but nothing unexpected, and certainly not permanent.

All in all, a great trip, and a nice mini-vacation. And a great car in the garage.

I am sure you will all be hearing more about this car on a regular basis. I'll be posting my car pics, and Niagara pics as soon as I get a chance to pull them off the camera. The car ones are ok, but can't really do Garnet Red Pearl justice... I am hoping the Niagara pics are decent.

I just threw some pictures up on my .mac account, just to host them somewhere. you can check them out here. the full size pictures are a little on the large side, and take a moment to load, so be aware.

http://homepage.mac.com/mkutzli/PhotoAlbum3.html

I just heard that Bufallo, NY got two feet of snow...

Boy am I glad I am not there right now. If I were driving this week instead of last, we'd be stranded.

AWD would be a moot point, even with two sets of wheels and tires, as they are ALL summer tires! :D

It is weird. Just after we went on that trip, things have been happening....

We left Burlington VT on Friday morning, and a girl goes missing, last seen a day later.

We stopped for gas and lunch in Erie, PA, and later hear on the news that some crazy person was fighting with her husband, and using their 4-week old infant as a weapon, and cracked the poor kid's skull. (crazy stuff... who are these freaks? Who uses an infant like a bat?)

And now two feet of snow in mid-October, in Buffalo, NY, not even a week after we drive through...

What is going to happen in Cleveland OH, South Bend IN, Chicago, IL, and Davenport IA, next?

Archived