LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for lowering springs anyone?

srgdrum

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first inch of compression is softer then the second inch. That means IME that the car will ride fairly decent over small bumps, but when you really work the suspension (on-ramp, auto-X) then it acts like a stiffer spring.

O o o o o

thank you for explaining it to me :icon_wink

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

IONs FTW...although I haven't tried anything else, so I have no comparison. The IONs really do feel a lot like the stockers are crusing speed, I was completely impressed. But, like others have mentioned, it must be that variable spring rate....because when you get on it firms up a ton. The only reason I wanted springs in the first place was to get rid of the wheel gap in the front, and I am totally happy with the drop that ions give. Not totally slammed, no obscene gap. The firmness of the ride was just bonus for me. I must say, it definitely stops the "pitch up" under heavy accelleration which is just fantastic.

Side note: I still have the stock dampers...how can you tell when they are through?

IONs FTW...although I haven't tried anything else, so I have no comparison. The IONs really do feel a lot like the stockers are crusing speed, I was completely impressed. But, like others have mentioned, it must be that variable spring rate....because when you get on it firms up a ton. The only reason I wanted springs in the first place was to get rid of the wheel gap in the front, and I am totally happy with the drop that ions give. Not totally slammed, no obscene gap. The firmness of the ride was just bonus for me. I must say, it definitely stops the "pitch up" under heavy accelleration which is just fantastic.

Side note: I still have the stock dampers...how can you tell when they are through?

sounds like exactly what i'm looking for...

you never told me you had Ion's... or i would have pay more attention to the ride quality when i rode in your car :icon_mad:

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I remember when everyone raved over the pinks. Are they the best springs to get to prolong strut and shock life? I was leaning towards the h techs but it seems that they can kill the struts pretty quickly, and aren't very performance oriented.

Well...if you didn't notice the ride...I would say they were working well! :)

Good point there...

I'm seriously thinking about soem used Swifts. They are about $80 less than new. How does that sound? I need to find out a decent install price for these.

Does the spring swap require an alignment?

Can we swap struts with the STi? I'm guessing it's no but just throwing the idea out there.

Hmmm good question, I doubt it though, but I will leave the final answer to the more suspension oriented folks here....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Hmmm good question, I doubt it though, but I will leave the final answer to the more suspension oriented folks here....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Definately not. STI has struts all around, LGT has multilink in rear.

when they start leaking or when the car starts feeling really bouncy AFTER you hit a bump.. the car still goes up and down after driving over a bump.. it's basically riding on the spring at that point.

Keefe

I think the iONs are the only variable rate springs for our car.

If you get expensive coil-overs you can get variable rate springs too.

General rule: The firmer the spring the harder it is on the shocks. How long will OEM ones last? Depends on how picky you are, what driving conditions your car experiences, if you carry heavy loads in the rear, etc.....

holy crap! those are fubar. I've never seen springs look like that.

Weird, I know.

I have had 5 pairs of iONs on my car: Original set (2 pairs), New fronts for Bilsteins (1 more), sent wrong ones by accident, month or two later I get the real ones for Bilsteins (another set), then I get HD rears (5 in total).

I have three locals here in Winnipeg that are also running iONs and no problems at all with them.

Maybe the above is the only person to have problems, or maybe not.

Maybe the reason they are off is because one was a Bilstein one and one was a regular one (somebody goofed). I wonder if they were level before putting them on the car.

when they start leaking or when the car starts feeling really bouncy AFTER you hit a bump.. the car still goes up and down after driving over a bump.. it's basically riding on the spring at that point.

Ha, that is pretty much characteristcs of stock dampers when new... :lol::lol:

Osciallation sucks, baby.

Id get aftermarket struts regardless of what spring you get. Our stock struts are too soft to control the spring forces of aftermarket springs.

Good luck with that:rolleyes: Look at our current choices: Tokicos - workable but in short supply and lots of issues or Bilsteins - let's see, maybe 5 sets available in the US divided by 50 guys trying to get them = ~0.4 shock/person:)

Good luck with that:rolleyes: Look at our current choices: Tokicos - workable but in short supply and lots of issues or Bilsteins - let's see, maybe 5 sets available in the US divided by 50 guys trying to get them = ~0.4 shock/person:)

Don't be too pessimistic... I'll have one set for sale soon, perhaps two... :lol:

Ohlins fixed perch shocks will be out soon enough, have patience.. those would be the ones to get over Bilsteins ;)

When your wife sees the bill for them you can just sign the papers.

I am very interested in the Ohlins too!

Archived