LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for lowering springs anyone?

srgdrum

I'll vote for STi pinks with additional spacer in the rear. Anything else is going to lower the car too much without enough spring rate.

I don't care what those other folks are telling you. If you run Ions, Swifts, or Teins, you're going to wind up on the rear bump stops (and probably the fronts too).

Warren

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll vote for STi pinks with additional spacer in the rear. Anything else is going to lower the car too much without enough spring rate.

I don't care what those other folks are telling you. If you run Ions, Swifts, or Teins, you're going to wind up on the rear bump stops (and probably the fronts too).

Warren

can you explain more on that? i had no knowledge about springs set up.. :icon_wink

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Warren

I disagree. I believe all of those springs have a stiffer rate then the pinks, thus they can handle the extra 5-10mm of lowering.

That being said (even though I love the iONs) I think the pinks are a good choice, especially if staying with OEM struts/shocks.

I dont like adding the extra bumpstop on the rear. the rear is not made to be like that and doing that is a hack job for getting the results you want. if the spring doesnt give you the results you want, then get ones that will. Im not saying that adding the extra spacer wont work, im saying that you shoud not have to for a good set of springs.

Warren

Could you educate me a bit about those spacers? I want to put Pinks (on my Bilsteins) and I am afraid my wagon will end up bit low in the back. Where to get them?

I dont like adding the extra bumpstop on the rear. the rear is not made to be like that and doing that is a hack job for getting the results you want. if the spring doesnt give you the results you want, then get ones that will. Im not saying that adding the extra spacer wont work, im saying that you shoud not have to for a good set of springs.

It is not an extra bumptstop, it is an extra spring seat.

Most aftermarket springs make the car sit level, the problem is it doesn't look level because the rear wheelwell is cut lower then the front. Adding an extra spring seat raises the rear by about 1/4 inch, not much at all.

I think I was one of the first to do it, and had no problems with it at all, I also did not notice any diff in ride quality or handling (and I drive very hard at times).

One of the only springs sets I can think of that lowers the front appreciably more then the back is the pinks (other then the iON HDs), but that is because they are designed to work with the Bilsteins, and using them on USDM GT struts results in an additional 1/2-5/8 inch lowering in the front.

Complicating things is that some people have loaded up wagins or stereo gear in the back.

I swapped out my iONs for HD iONs not because of the extra spring seat thing, but because I wanted stiffer rate rear springs for more rotation for auto-X.

In other-words, if done properly it works 100%.

I agree that it is not the correct way to do it. However, I have not been able to find a set of springs for the wagon that achieve an even stance (the 2.5i anyway) I think that is why many people opt for the dual spring seats to even it out better.

Noone wants the rear end dumped, especially in a wagon when they may be carrying loads which will sag the rear even more. I think coilovers are the best way to get an even drop with a wagon right now.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

Could you educate me a bit about those spacers? I want to put Pinks (on my Bilsteins) and I am afraid my wagon will end up bit low in the back. Where to get them?

Likely it will. Read above post; pinks on Bilsteins will make the car sit level, but not look level.

Buy an extra spring seat for the rear (cut out the steel insert in the rubber) and have it on hand when the install is done. It has to be done right or it can squish out. A knowledgeable mechanic or good DIYer should be able to handle it.

After a few days check to make sure all is installed and staying in place properly and you shouldn't have ant problems.

I agree that it is not the correct way to do it. However, I have not been able to find a set of springs for the wagon that achieve an even stance (the 2.5i anyway) I think that is why many people opt for the dual spring seats to even it out better.

Noone wants the rear end dumped, especially in a wagon when they may be carrying loads which will sag the rear even more. I think coilovers are the best way to get an even drop with a wagon right now.

Or consider the iON HD rears.

I gaurantee that the rear will not sit too low with them! 100% gaurantee that!

I know one member (redline76) installed JDM SpecB wagon in rear and JGM GT Pinks on JDM GT Bilsteins to get the "good" stance.

I have all the components... just need to decide what combo try next...

Btw, I am Bilstein whore... let's count:

car:

Rev.C JDM GT (USDM SpecB) Bilsteins/springs

storage:

JDM GT Pinks

Rev.B JDM SpecB Bilstein/springs

JDM SpecB Pinks

in transit:

original JDM GT Bilstein w/springs

:lol: :lol:

I know one member (redline76) installed JDM SpecB wagon in rear and JGM GT Pinks on JDM GT Bilsteins to get the "good" stance.

I have all the components... just need to decide what combo try next...

Btw, I am Bilstein whore... let's count:

car:

Rev.C JDM GT (USDM SpecB) Bilsteins/springs

storage:

JDM GT Pinks

Rev.B JDM SpecB Bilstein/springs

JDM SpecB Pinks

in transit:

original JDM GT Bilstein w/springs

:lol: :lol:

holy crap. how much did you spend to get all that?

prolly spend enough to buy a good set of coilovers which you would have been happy with.

holy crap. how much did you spend to get all that?

prolly spend enough to buy a good set of coilovers which you would have been happy with.

All take-offs imported from Japan with good resale potential on this board :icon_wink

I'll keep only one set eventually. Or two, if we really decide to get another LGT for my wife.

From the research I've done it seems like really good coilovers are $$$$. I am also bit put off by the higher maintaince of coilovers. Revalving every 30k miles or so does not sound like fun...

From the research I've done it seems like really good coilovers are $$$$. I am also bit put off by the higher maintaince of coilovers. Revalving every 30k miles or so does not sound like fun...

Exactly, real good coil-overs are costly.

You pay for the bells and whistles of what the coilover can do.. that's the justication for them.. with the spring/shock setup, it's very unlikely that you get adjustable ride height, possibly matched dampening, spring preload, ability of corner balancing, and even camber adjustments for that easy on-the-whim of spirited driving that you want to do for the weekend or so.

It's not a pain really (it's one of those 'grass is greener' on the other side) if you look at the performance gains you get out of it.. Im well over 45000 miles on mine and they are just showing signs of wear (lost about 20% of the dampening performance of all of my track driving and daily driving as well).. if I want the full performance of the coilovers, I can get them rebuilt now and it'll be good as new.

I would say the life of a shock to go through daily driving has a very slim chance of seeing 90,000 miles.. Heck, most people dont even notice that they have blown stock shocks, so performance differences that people are looking for really dont know what performance really feels, especially when it dies out.

And as far as coilover rebuild pricing vs buying new shocks, it's the same amount, if not less..

Keefe

You pay for the bells and whistles of what the coilover can do.. that's the justication for them.. with the spring/shock setup, it's very unlikely that you get adjustable ride height, possibly matched dampening, spring preload, ability of corner balancing, and even camber adjustments for that easy on-the-whim of spirited driving that you want to do for the weekend or so.

It's not a pain really (it's one of those 'grass is greener' on the other side) if you look at the performance gains you get out of it.. Im well over 45000 miles on mine and they are just showing signs of wear (lost about 20% of the dampening performance of all of my track driving and daily driving as well).. if I want the full performance of the coilovers, I can get them rebuilt now and it'll be good as new.

I would say the life of a shock to go through daily driving has a very slim chance of seeing 90,000 miles.. Heck, most people dont even notice that they have blown stock shocks, so performance differences that people are looking for really dont know what performance really feels, especially when it dies out.

And as far as coilover rebuild pricing vs buying new shocks, it's the same amount, if not less..

You run on Zeals V6? Those are noice. Funny thing the Bilsteins I bought from a guy in Japan came in Zeal box :icon_wink.

Well, truth to be said never driven in any car with co... so I don't know if I'd like them for daily driving or not.

Aren't you in NJ, Keefe? Would love to "feel" your setup :icon_wink But then chances are I'll be looking to buy $1500+ set :eek: :eek:

Being on this board is like being a downhill slope... $$$ wise.

BTW: Bilstein struts/shocks can be rebuilt for like $240 for entire set. Can't beat that.

So basically a good set of struts/shocks and springs sets you back 700-800 and then to have the struts and shocks rebuilt (after 40k of use) is $240? While coilovers allow you more adjustment and last longer without rebuilds for $1300+

So basically a good set of struts/shocks and springs sets you back 700-800 and then to have the struts and shocks rebuilt (after 40k of use) is $240? While coilovers allow you more adjustment and last longer without rebuilds for $1300+

Ehh... I think a good set of sturts/shocks last longer without noticeable degradation in performance than 40k. 70-90k? Don't quote me on that, I am not expert. Most regular struts/shocks are not rebuildable, AFAIK. Bilsteins are and according to bilsteinusa.com the rebuild cost is around $240/set.

From what I read, coilovers should be rebuilt between 30-40k miles. I don't know how much does it cost to rebuild coilovers. I guess depends on the brand. Keefe says costs like another set of struts/shocks, which I don't what could be... set of stockers is probably in $400-500 range new.

Keefe, how much $$$ to rebuild your Zeals?

youve never driven my car with the tien flex's? I thought i gave you a ride when i did that install for you?

Nope, you did not... ha, I should have asked you on the meet in Bear Mountain.

I dismissed the idea of coilovers, but I guess I should try....

I love coilovers. its great being able to adjust the alignment angles so easily no matter what you do to the ride height(except for that darn rear camber i have to buy thosed threaded arms for). And since i autox, its nice to be able to camber in before events and then go back to normal afterwards.

I love coilovers. its great being able to adjust the alignment angles so easily no matter what you do to the ride height(except for that darn rear camber i have to buy thosed threaded arms for). And since i autox, its nice to be able to camber in before events and then go back to normal afterwards.

Any autox event you're going to soon? I'd go to see and could check out your car as well.

You run on Zeals V6? Those are noice. Funny thing the Bilsteins I bought from a guy in Japan came in Zeal box :icon_wink.

Well, truth to be said never driven in any car with co... so I don't know if I'd like them for daily driving or not.

Aren't you in NJ, Keefe? Would love to "feel" your setup :icon_wink But then chances are I'll be looking to buy $1500+ set :eek: :eek:

Being on this board is like being a downhill slope... $$$ wise.

BTW: Bilstein struts/shocks can be rebuilt for like $240 for entire set. Can't beat that.

Yes, i run on V6s.. my car is well over 53,000 miles now with the coilovers being 48,000 miles or so.. it can still go another 20,000 before I really need to take it out and get them rebuilt, but sometime after this winter is when I'll get them rebuilt with 14kg front and 12kg rear using Swift springs.

Im in MD.. but then again, I travel everywhere along the east coast for events and such. Zeals have done well from me from Boston to NYC, down through Hoboken NJ, all the way to the Tail the Dragon in Tennessee and down to Orlando Florida for a Subaru Challenge during when Hurricane Katrina was finally passing by..

Zeals typical rebuild job is around the same price as well (+shipping of course)

Keefe

Archived