LegacyGT.com

Suspension gurus help me avoid a mutiny!

rao

First off, I generally like my Legacy quite a bit. It has tons of midrange power, is subtle and decently sized. It is not stock under the hood, but the suspension is bone stock except for Pirelli P-Nero Nero all season tires and the JDM sway bar. When I drive it by myself a lot, but whenever I have passengers I like it a lot less.

Here is the problem - the suspension is just too damn bouncy. It seems oversprung to me. Now I know all you real racers out there will cringe at that and complain that your 2" dropped coilovers are still to soft, but for the real world driving the car is just too bouncy. My family has flat out refused to use the car for any long trips, much preferring our Honda Odyssey minivan and I really can't blame them. My RX-7 will (literally) run circles around the Legacy, but its ride isn't narly as harsh, which is saying something.

I haven't seen anyone that offers softer springs.

Any ideas?

Ironically I didn't get an STi because I wanted a more comfortable car, but at least wtih an STi I could haves wapped in stock WRX springs and shocks.

If I can't sort this out, the car might have to disappear :(

i don't think it's so much oversprung as it is underdamped. what about a set of bilsteins off a jdm legacy?

Maybe I have it backwards and it is under damped.

You know I suggested that combination to someone and it seemed like it might work out well. That was in the contect of someone wanting better handling but not a stiffer ride.

Has anybody tried this? It would certainly be easy to make the swap.

I think underdamped is the more likely cause...

I would try a set of Bilsteins (Spec-B or 2.0GT) with the stock springs. It should eliminate the bouncyness you are complaining of.

...or you could try the Tokico adjustables....and pick the amount of dampening you like...

those who have ridden in my car and driven it have commented about the smooth, controlled ride. Currently using KYB's and STi pinks, but I got the same comments on a full JDM Spec B set (Rev. A springs, which are a bit much for my tastes). I'd vote for a std. JDM GT set of Bilsteins for a good compromise Rob.

i don't think it's so much oversprung as it is underdamped. what about a set of bilsteins off a jdm legacy?

Agreed. I always thought the stock suspension bounced a little too much on the highway over big dips and now with stiffer springs, its significantly more pronounced. Waiting for a review from a local, but the Tokicos will most likely be my next mod.

ignore him, he'll go away.

i just put in h-techs. Ride height is almost the same, ride is stiffer but not nearly harsh in any way and the bounciness is virtually gone. $200 FTW
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I have a 5 and a 3 year old. 90% of the time I am commuting and the rest are family trips. Here has been my suspension experience.

- stock struts / springs...too much float and bounce especially when loaded with passengers.

- stock struts / STi springs...too harsh and "crashy" on any medium + road imperfections.

- KSport coilovers...not bad but a bit too fiddly for me. I will be selling them shortly as they have been sitting in the garage for a few months.

- JDM GT struts / STi springs...much better damping (as expected) and suspension doesn't collapse into potholes which is a plus. But, the ride is still a bit too stiff for long family trips and can cause fatigue. The kids don't care one way or the other but my wife would prefer some more comfort. She doesn't complain but I can tell by the way her head bounces off the headrest :) .

- JDM GT struts / springs...soon. I suspect that this will be the best overall compromise. I will also add a JDM rear sway bar.

Tom

How many miles does your car have?

When I first put the iON springs on the car, the ride was much better than stock, although still underdamped. Now, 20k later, the stock struts are obviously going south, and the ride has become very "bouncy", i.e., seriously underdamped as you described.

Your stock struts are probably done. I would try something adjustable like the Tokicos (I have a set on order, and will report when I get them installed).

I have a 5 and a 3 year old. 90% of the time I am commuting and the rest are family trips. Here has been my suspension experience.

- stock struts / springs...too much float and bounce especially when loaded with passengers.

- stock struts / STi springs...too harsh and "crashy" on any medium + road imperfections.

- KSport coilovers...not bad but a bit too fiddly for me. I will be selling them shortly as they have been sitting in the garage for a few months.

- JDM GT struts / STi springs...much better damping (as expected) and suspension doesn't collapse into potholes which is a plus. But, the ride is still a bit too stiff for long family trips and can cause fatigue. The kids don't care one way or the other but my wife would prefer some more comfort. She doesn't complain but I can tell by the way her head bounces off the headrest :) .

- JDM GT struts / springs...soon. I suspect that this will be the best overall compromise. I will also add a JDM rear sway bar.

Tom

Thanks for the information; that is very helpful.

My car has just over 16k miles on it.

I retract my retraction above ;) oversprung and underdamped are 2 sides of the same coin.

Since there is no hope of softer springs, more damping seems like the way to go.

Agreed. I always thought the stock suspension bounced a little too much on the highway over big dips and now with stiffer springs, its significantly more pronounced. Waiting for a review from a local, but the Tokicos will most likely be my next mod.

+1 - I'm on iONs now, and this is my feeling, precisely.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Update...put the stock JDM GT struts / springs on replacing JDM struts + Pinks. I only have a couple of days of driving on them but, so far, of the various suspensions set ups I have had, the stock JDM GT set up is the best performance / comfort compromise. Actually, on rough roads, I can carry more corner speed than with the struts + Pinks due to greater compliance. The JDM GT struts + pinks comb was just a bit too "busy" over smaller road imperfections. I will add either a JDM rear bar or front and rear Cuscos.

Thanks for the information; that is very helpful.

My car has just over 16k miles on it.

I retract my retraction above ;) oversprung and underdamped are 2 sides of the same coin.

Since there is no hope of softer springs, more damping seems like the way to go.

Shocks just aren't up to expectations. KW coilovers are my answer. They work and can give a comfortable ride.

Matt

The KW's are sweet and I might know a guy, who knows a guy who sells them for the best price out there :icon_wink.

However, if the OP thinks that the stock suspension is not plush enough, I can't see how they would be a good choice for him. The KW's are well controlled, handle great and ride well, but are not as plush as the stock suspension.

Tom

Hey, do you happen to have any pics of your wagon with JDM GTs with Pinks? I just put JDM GTs with JDM springs, and while it's a great imporvement over stock (floatiness and oscillation gone!), there is still too much body roll (and I have JDM GT rsb). I read people had problems with Bilstein and pinks on wagons sitting too low in the rear, especially if car was loaded.

I'm going to be reworking my setup (again :mad: ) since it does sit too low in the rear. Over some backroads this weekend, the rear was hitting the bumpstops when pushing it over rough pavement. The car was empty but for the driver.

Archived