LegacyGT.com

Official WTF Subaru Thread!

My dream vehicle, for anyone from Subaru who is listening: A WRX hatchback. A legitimate hatch. 3 doors. NOT A WAGON. Think rally-car style.

I would pay a premium for a hatch. Sedans aren't practical, and wagons are just ugly. (Apologies to anyone w/a wagon, but it's true).

If you can't give use a nice car (3-door hatch) then at least take the following gripes about the Legacy into consideration:

#1 Gripe: "Car of the year in Japan" happens to be a completely different vehicle from what I bought. In other words, quality issues.

When I drove it off the lot I had a broken trunk latch, squeaky/shaky brakes, a bad alignment, all kinds of crazy noises coming from the dashboard, bad weather striping around the windows, and much more... Not only that, but one day the car totally stalled and shut down while I was driving on the highway at 75mph. The dealer told me nothing was wrong! VERY FRIGHTENING. If ur gonna build cars in Indiana then you better train the dudes puttin em together!!! I consider this borderline deception. I assumed the car was built in Japan. (my mistake, I guess).

#2 Gripe: The interior of the Legacy is fugly, poorly thought out, and low quality compared to other comparably priced vehicles (TSX). As mentioned before, the seats are uncomfortable, and the radio cannot be upgraded. No nav option in manual too (wtf is that?). Other things that are extremely annoying... the fact that I can't see my climate controls in 3rd or 5th gear, no place to stash my change, my feet hit under the dash, and poor placement of the cupholders. Perhaps the biggest out of all the interior problems is the crappy seats. How bout some nice Recaros Subaru? I don't care about heated seats. GIVE ME RED RECAROS! O_O!!!! At least as an option? I would pay a lot for these!

#3 Gripe: Maybe I will get slammed for this but I think the transmission in this car is god-awful. Shifting SUCKS. Compare to any Acura or Honda. I consistently have to try several times to get the car to even shift into reverse, at all. I have to force it. Combine w/extreme turbo lag + jerky 2k-3k rpm pull in 2nd and 3rd gear and you have a car that can only be summed up as challenging to drive.

#4 Gripe: For a car marketed for its performance, the suspension blows. I felt like I was driving a boat before I installed the ION springs. Even with the Ions this car needs serious correction. It rolls around like crazy. I feel like im gonna die when I take a tight turn. The tires suck too.

I guess thats it.

Hello consumer. And I say unto you, please use exact change.

This is my shark.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF with the short range of the car!! This car would have been a great Autobahn crusier, if it had bigger tank (or was more economical). Instead, you have to stop on every other gas station.

I drive 90-100mph and have to refill between 250 miles on tank (at best 300). This freaking not enough. If I drive as pussy cat I can drive up to 350 miles, but come on, this is not a car to be driven at 65mph.

20-22 gallon tank please. And different gearing in the 5spd transmisson, or even better 6spd transmission (but not one like in 2007 SpecB). It's freaking insane how high the engine revs.

Note, I am not sure that different gearing would help a lot with fuel economy, I just don't get why they decided to skip on an overdrive in this car... so annoying.

Secondary list:

- all auto-down, driver auto-up window, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!????

- telescoping wheel

- steering wheel radio controls standard

- single mode for climate control

- rear fog lights

- retained accessory power

- low washer fluid warning light

- drawers/storage compartments under front seats

Also:

- firmer suspension, WTF???????? Like in JDM GT.

- better tires, WTF!??????????!?!?!

- better brake pads, WTF??!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily, the last three while most important, can be easily fixed.

I don't care for HIDs. The projector headlamps are excellent on this car.

May I'm not reading this correctly, but if I lock the car w/windows down, then reach inside to open the car the alarm goes off.

wtf is up with the alarm that disables itself when the door is opened ? let the windows down and if you unlock the door manually it will disable the alarm.

My list:

- More choices in exterior styling!!!! The front end of the Legacy looks incomplete without having to buy front ends all the way from Japan. RBS front lip is pretty much the only thing available that's cheap enough.

- Auto up-down windows in the car and car remote. Audis and VWs have them, and we're above and beyond them in terms of quality.

- I don't know if it's a machine that was programmed incorrectly at the Indiana factory to install our trunk lids but I've seen this on many Legacys that the trunk lids are not evenly installed, many have gaps particularly on one side of the car.

- HIDs would be nice, I had to install aftermarket and what a difference! Subaru needs to take advantage of the projectors that are in this car.

- Smoother tranny, coming from an RSX & TSX this shifter is not really all that desirable. I love the 6MT in the TSX by far the best that I have ever driven! Would an STI short shifter take care of this?

- No folding rear seats???? What the hell, every other car on the market has them!

- Last thing, this may be a small thing but it's always left me wondering. The windshield of this car fogs up so quickly!!!! I find that every 2 weeks I have to spray the front and rear windows with Stoner's cleaner to get rid of it! My other cars don't do that as often (I gotta clean their windshields every 2 months whenever the whole interior needs cleaning).

Better Quality. As in Honda/Acura, Nissan, Toyota quality.

1 year and 20k miles in this relationship and the following has gone wrong:

-driver heated seat (still) not working - 3 tries by the dealer

-headlights and fog lights prematurely blowing

-cruise control failure

-ghost in the radio (volume up/down randomly)

-HVAC/radio headunit lights dim up and down (another ghost?)

-premature wearing of brakes

Maybe I'm just spoiled having always owned Honda/Acura and Nissan. Nothing ever went wrong with those cars (even those built in the US).....

As a potential buyer, where do I start???

Color?

Interior Color?

rear sedan seat folding and stereo input?

Memory seats?

Suspension and brakes?

delicate panels, paint and glass?

On the other hand, there is nothing else on the market quite like the Legacy (although the competition is closing in... MS6, Volvo, G35...), and for what it is, right now, nothing else comes close enough, either as less hardware, or much higher price.

But Subaru certainly isn't making it easy for me to give them my money. Quite the contrary it will be easier for me to give someone here on this forum my money, to buy their used Legacy GT... which doesn't count for Subaru, and doesn't contribute any more to their bottom line, unless magically the future seller turns around and buys another Legacy.

The Legacy is a great car on it's own... with some support, it could be stellar. And we see that in some ways, overseas.

WTF is NAV a required option on Spec B anyway?? I don't like spending extra $2K on the option I'll never use.

WTF isn't NAV an available option on a 5MT GT Limited anyway?? I wanted to spend an extra $2K on an option I'd like to have.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Oh and.....WTF does my 2006 Legacy GT seem to have less technological/creature comfort 'gizmos' than my 1992 SVX?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Forgot this... had both headlights replaced after only a couple months! Bogus!

And also my rear bumper seems to be a magnet for uninsured drivers. Was hit twice in the first 6 months. Not sure this is Subaru's fault tho. :lol:

Hello consumer. And I say unto you, please use exact change.

This is my shark.

A bunch of this was fixed in the 07 models. Like Memory Seats, Aux In, probably a few others. But I think HID's should deffinetly be standard on the GT's, what is this like an extra 100 dollars for Subaru per car. I would pay that. Plus NAV as a option would be nice to. Of course I already have my LGT so it's kind of a mute point, but none the less I still love my car.

Better Quality. As in Honda/Acura, Nissan, Toyota quality.

1 year and 20k miles in this relationship and the following has gone wrong:

-driver heated seat (still) not working - 3 tries by the dealer

-cruise control failure

-ghost in the radio (volume up/down randomly)

-HVAC/radio headunit lights dim up and down (another ghost?)

-premature wearing of brakes

Maybe I'm just spoiled having always owned Honda/Acura and Nissan. Nothing ever went wrong with those cars (even those built in the US).....

1. Dealers generally suck at fixing things not identified by a code in OBD, especially electronics.

2. Ghosts in radio and HVAC I have found to be voltage related. I ran my Fluke meter on the car for a week, and noticed that Volume, Dash Lighting, Temp. settings would change if Voltage spikes occurred (never saw low voltage just spikes usually when A/C cut in/out). I'm having a friend rework an OEM alternator and look over the voltage regulator circuit this Fall.

Hope this helps.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

My wish list or WTF?:

1. Euro Spec paint jobs. My Volvo went 220k on the highway and still looks new. No chips, no clearcoat issues.

2. Why redesign the whole engine/turbo/IC for the car. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to design the hood around the STI/WRX drive train? Everyone would have then enjoyed more power from the factory. Less need to return the motor. More interchangability of parts (again save $$ for SOA).

3. Audio system: Ok some may be satisfied with the muddy waters of the OEM system, but the Limited should have the option of the Macintosh system, MP3, Aux in, Sat. Radio in. '07 model getting there, but still no Macintosh system option.

4. JDM spec suspension on LGT. It is a sport touring car, it should handle like one out of the box.

5. Tires - see reason above

6. Body options like JDM - they have a full catalog of spoilers, bumpers, aero kits. We have to go to specialty marketers (god bless capitalism) for a STI lip spoiler.

7. Wheels - The last time I looked at a Honda, Scion, Volvo they had optional wheels from the 'factory'. Customers have wanted to individualize their cars since the '50s. Why would SOA expect that to change and leave more $$$ on the table.

8. OEM Gauges - at the least a boost gauge whould come stock.

9. How about some more usable space? The car is not a midsize (e.g. 5series ) but no spare room for XM head, Cell phone holder, Nav system except the one small cubby which we all hate to lose, but need to use.

10. Cheap NOT SO Extended, extended arm rest - talk about wasted space.

11. Drink holder for the double jointed front seat folks ????? Good thing the front one isn't that bad to use (and it won't spill into the radio like so many others).

12. Parking light switch on column - Might be used in Europe, but never seen it needed in US. If they are gonna make changes specific to market then this one can go.13. 6 speed - OK fixed on SpecB, but what about the rest of us???

14. More SPT support for LGT in USDM - again see JDM accessory catalog (18 pages vs. US 4 items {STS, Gauges, pedals, intake, mufflers??} + cosmetic stuff {Shift pattern, sill plates, etc}).

15. True Sport seats without the Look At Me colors of the STI.

16. DCCD - Already developed for STI, why not on LGT at least as option.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Does everyone realize that we the next gen Legacy tuner/customizer/enthusiasts have only but recently infiltrated a US brand of vehicle once only dominated by tree hugging Oregonians, North Easterner ski bums, and gay pride stickers sans underarm deodorants? Thank God for the WRX/STI crowd who have gone before us and blazed a trail. It takes time to assault a well protected castle.

Give it time, SOA will come around....and if not, I'm going into debt for an M-Series.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Does everyone realize that we the next gen Legacy tuner/customizer/enthusiasts have only but recently infiltrated a US brand of vehicle once only dominated by tree hugging Oregonians, North Easterner ski bums, and gay pride stickers sans underarm deodorants? Thank God for the WRX/STI crowd who have gone before us and blazed a trail. It takes time to assault a well protected castle.

Give it time, SOA will come around....and if not, I'm going into debt for an M-Series.

The Spec. B is the reconnaissance in force. It is a very different beast than the LGT.

The Spec. B is the reconnaissance in force. It is a very different beast than the LGT.

Spot on analysis

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Do Subaru all engineers all have teensy, weensy, tiny, itty bitty littlefeet?

My legacy and my wife's WRX are generally comfortable enough and roomy enough, but there's barely enough room on for my feet on either the passenger or drivers side of either car.

P.

1. No Auto Headlights

2. The radio / AC bs

3. SOA's sorry ass excuse for no hids

4. No legacy STI

5. No Manual Turbo Wagons (anymore)

6. Using Sheryl Crow in their commercials

7. SHITTY remote that goes off in your pocket or by accident all the time (I all too often get in my car to find i accidently popped my trunk)

8. All the cool stuff you can only get outside of the USA

9. You have to import the good arm-rest from japan

10. How much would have it have cost to put a synchro for reverse?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived