LegacyGT.com

best coilovers

credit

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't tried any of the above, but my personal experience with the Tein Flex coilovers has been very good. I would recommend them. The worked very well at Watkins Glen on the track and perform equally well for daily driving. Price was excellent as well (more than 1k, less than 1400)

I am seriouly considering the cusco sway bars and coilovers but .. just can't seem to pull the trigger

I highly recommend the KW Variant 2 coilovers. German made, very solid, great ride and handling. Do a search on here for some reviews, very well liked. I believe Chappy has a set.

Adding the Cusco sway bars would give you a complete suspension set-up.

EDIT: But what are you looking for? Do you track your car? auto-x? Strictly street driving or some combination of street/track? Give us a call and we can help you out. We have quite a bit of first hand experience with the Legacy on the street and track.

- Andrew

Andrew - how much?

The OP has an OBXT....not all coilovers work due to the height differences with an LGT (all are made to fit the LGT, not OBXT). Cusco, GPMoto, and a few others are known to though.

Well, I'm not in the office so I can't say exactly. In fact, I'm at Virginia Tech and am sort of an "outside consultant" these days. Sort of semi-retired? In any case I still am loosely associated with RCE and I still work with Myles from time to time. You'll see me on the forums and I answer all my Racecomp emails from customers. Pretty sweet gig I got going :lol:

Anyway, you probably don't care about all that but maybe someone does.....I know roughly the price, but I don't want to be wrong so I'll verify exactly tomorrow with Myles and PM you guys (since i can't post prices here). They've been a bit busy moving the computers into the new place. (I went back to school just in time :icon_mrgr).

- Andrew

Andrew - how much?

The OP has an OBXT....not all coilovers work due to the height differences with an LGT (all are made to fit the LGT, not OBXT). Cusco, GPMoto, and a few others are known to though.

If the OP is looking for coilovers for an OBXT, then I cannot recommend the KW's. They are great coilovers, but even with enough preload to nearly fully compress the tender springs with no load, the rear rides quite low on my LGT. I doubt that you could get the rear high enough on an OBXT. I had one guy in the first Megan Racing coilover group buy with an OBXT. At max rear height I think they turned out a bit lower than he wanted, but from the pics he showed me it was a very reasonable height and looked great. So, the MR's will work on an OBXT. I think the Cusco's will work as well. AFAIK the GP Moto's are no longer available.

I dont know the order, but I do know the two best coilovers for our cars

Aragosta Made by Topline Japan

http://www.tpl.co.jp/top.jpg

Ohlins PCV (Japan)

=http%3A//www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/index.html%5DOHLINS

http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/img/flag_i/flag-i.jpg (impreza model shown)

could someone list the harshest to smoothest coilovers

that's going to be hard to do since each coilover company can offer different spring rates for their coilovers (not to mention custom valving to match those spring rates) to give you the ride you want.

Keefe

• 3 months later...

Hi Xenonk...I got a question though, I'm sold my tein basic lately and planning to get a diff. setup for next summer, now I'm looking between tein flex and KW V.2...between them, what would you suggest? I would track my car and use it on a daily basis (plus having 4 person onboard occasionally)

not that the tein basic was bad, but sometimes the ride feel is a bit too hard(on streets); yet not hard enough when I'm on track

any inputs will be appreciated

alan

well...this is how I see it...springs certain can lower your car for a low price, but the dampening respose would be fast due to the valving setup on the OE strut; example, when some spring-lowered cars run over a smooth bump, you can see the body will take a little more time bouncing before it retuen to stable, and this IMO leads to premature wear and make you get a new set of shocks

and w/ coilovers, the dampening response will be slower and harsher as you run over bumps b/c the spring and the shocks has been hardened equally

just m holy 2 cents =)

alan

Archived