LegacyGT.com

Anyone have buyer's remorse?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='UrQ']Nope, no remorse. There a simply no other cars that that fit the bill for AWD, Turbo and great price, so there's nothing I'd rather have. Well, okay, maybe a $125,000 AWD 911 Turbo. :)[/quote] the turbo weighs 3550 pounds. how does subaru manage to make a sedan with AWD weigh less than that? just a tangent. i'm happier than a pig in slop with the cars.

I look at it this way. I don't have buckets of money to buy the car I REALLY want (a Lambo G). So, I went for a car that had performace, handles and has reasonable appointments and looks, in decreasing order of importance. The cost had to be minimal given whatever I choose wouldn't be anywhere as good as a Lambo. Hence the Subaru GT won. I still smile when when I drive it. Even when I'm not moving a traffic I smile. I think's it the stealth feeling that I know it's a better car than most even twice the price, dispite the fact most laypeople don't see this (be it due to no or bad marketing by Subaru or the stigma attached to Subaru, etc.). I don't care that much for image or marketing. I just know the GT is a better car than virtually any other car that surrounds me when I'm on the road (except for the occasional exotic car that goes by - then I drool unless if it's aPorche - hate the look - sorry). That's what makes me smile and happy owning a GT. Sure they could have more options (and IMHO should have) but most of the options can be had as aftermarket addons if desparate. Regrets? Absolutely none. Would I buy another one next time? I have no idea - will have to wait and see what's available when the time comes.

[quote name='B4_Maniac']Well, guys to tell you the truth I went through a period of actual loathing my GT. I was pissed at Subaru. I have waited years for this car, and I get it and they give us a watered down version of the JDM becuase they think it wouldn't do well in our market. Plus, I came from a car that in my mind is one of the best handeling cars on the planet....to the crappieness of the RE92s...and the horrible KYB suspension..[/quote] KYB suspension? :?

• 9 months later...
My gripes are always the same - what the JDM has that mine doesn't. I am sure I would love the mcintosh head unit and the rear wiper is a necessity with these near-hatchback rear window sedans. I can't even clean the thing cause its so slanted! I guess I will now patiently wait for the dvd navigation bezel (perhaps 06 will make it a standard part) so that I can retro-fit my carputer screen without it looking like crap. [img]http://www2.direcpc.com/users/new/indash.JPG[/img]

Every time I see a G35 coupe, I wish I could have gotten one of those, but I wouldn't ever buy one of those used, so it's a moot point. I had buyer's remorse for a couple weeks after getting the car while I was still getting used to the handling. My '02 RS seemed to give me much better feedback in turns and I felt really uncomfortable in corners with the Legacy and felt REALLY uncomfortable exploring the capabilities. I never felt like it was giving me any feedback at all - I felt completely disconnected from the road. After about 3 weeks, I started to connect with the car and now I'm feeling much more confident. I now realize that the car can do everything and more in the corners that the RS did. I still wish they put the '02 RS/WRX seats in the Legacy though (Cloth ... I like my cloth dammit! Subaru has some of the best cloth out there, IMO). But even the seats I've grown accustomed too. I just need to gain 50-80 lbs to fit snugly in them like the RS. :lol:

[quote name='bemani']Maybe - I don't know why the hell I needed to buy the car. I hardly even drive it. Would I buy any other car? No. But do I need this car? Answer is also a no. Hmm .. I have an 02 WRX I hardly drive, then I added an 05 Legacy that I hardly drive, and what do I always drive? My 82 Corolla. So yes, sometimes I think I shouldn't have bought the Legacy. Guess that 'Need - Desire' slogan works on me.[/QUOTE] I hardly drive my 05 LGT too, I find myself driving my 97 Corolla. Only when I see my rotors rusting up a lot do I drive it. Plus I don't want the battery to drain. Seeing how my company lot is always full and have people who don't give a shit and can't stay in the lines I'm worried about parking it there, already got one dent. Plus the stop and go commute for my LGT wouldn't be good.

Occasionally wish I'd bought a full size SUV instead of the OB. I manage to fill up the wagon everytime the family goes on road trips. We already have a hitch mounted cargo box and are considering one for the roof. Would also like to tow more. Of course it's fun to leave all of those SUVs in the dust at stop-lights or fly past them on the interstate while saving $ on gas and enjoying a better ride and handling. Will likely buy an LR3 once our beater car expires.

I drive my LGT to work because my commute has 1/2 hour of fun twisty roads. It's getting quite a few miles, but I'd be driving that much no matter what car I used - so it might as well be a fun one. As for regrets - this is the only car I wanted badly enough to buy new, so there was no question about it. It had to be like my '93 but with lots more power. Try and name another car that fits the bill....

Don't get me wrong, i love my LGT, but i wish i would have been able to get an Evo. But the dealership wasn't willing to work with me. they were set on selling it at MSRP and wanted to charge a hellish APR. - Luminati

Sometimes when my friend rants about his WS6 being faster I wish I got a STI. The dealer I got my GT from had a used STI with 4k miles for only 26k and I was torn between that and the GT but went with the GT because I didn't know why they were selling the STI so cheap or how the previous owner treated it. For the most part though I'm going to be really happy with this car which is why I financed instead of leasing it.

I'm really not too concerned about clearance issues with my GT. I considered the point when I was purchasing the car, but I don't think it will be much of an issue. Realistically speaking, it's not very often that road conditions will involve more than 5" of snow. In my experience (at least in the California Sierras), the only time that happens is when it's snowing [i]really[/i] hard and the plows haven't had a chance to come around yet. Happened to me a grand total of one time in the past three years. We got halfway from the cabin to the slopes (5 miles) when we decided that the weather was simply too crappy to have a good time, turned around, and headed back to the cabin. We spent the rest of the day with a couple pizzas, a deck of cards, and some mixed drinks. A good compromise I think. :rolleyes: So anyway, the 14"+ ground clearance on my old truck never really ended up doing me much good at all. I'm quite happy with the stance of the GT.

[quote name='godwhomismike']I like the car when I'm driving it, but I've been getting a few headaches - read my rants [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3171[/url] This has prompted me to wonder if I should've gotten........ - Mike[/QUOTE] Mike: I've actually had a few problems: 1) Center differential replaced. 2) power steering pump replaced 3) power steering rack replaced 4) entire dashboard replaced. And now my auto dimming mirror doesn't dim. No biggie, my delaer treats me better than the volvo/audi dealer does for my wife's v70. I have no regrets, this car is incredible. Also, Mike, your link didn't work but if I remember correctly most of your gripes, at least in the beginning, were dealer and not car related. Are you disappointed in the care or the overall buying experience?

I have remorse...i wish i had enough money to buy a ferrari 575M to play with :)..but other than that, wouldn't trade my car for anything..love it everytime i look at it..been considering getting a wallet size pic :)..nothing better than showing chicks my cute little baby with her blue eyes

Remorse? Not so much remorse, but same broken pipe-dream as brother Luminati above - I wish I would've been able to get either an Evo or an STi - or, heck, a GTO. Too bad the wifey nixed that right off! :P And if I had just a few more bucks, I'd definitely have tried out the SRT-8. -A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

yea...a lil bit. my down payment was half the car price, sometimes i think i should have keep my teg and bought a used truck or CRV then saved a lil more for a down payment for a house. or i get tempted by the EVO. but my LGT is prolly the nicest car i'll ever drive.

There are certain times I regeret not getting the LGT. I enjoy the 2.5i ltd, but that extra power would be great to have at times. Overall I am happy, but would be thrilled if I had the LGT. Maybe in a few years I will trade it in and get the 2009-2010 LGT...ooh I wonder what it will be like then??? :D

[QUOTE]I wish I would've been able to get either an Evo or an STi - or, heck, a GTO. Too bad the wifey nixed that right off! :P And if I had just a few more bucks, I'd definitely have tried out the SRT-8.[/QUOTE] Those are the exact same cars I had been looking at as well. Every one of them would have satisfied my performance requirements better than the Legacy, but they would have sacrificed too many other features for me to be as happy overall as I am with the Legacy. Those reasons include: STi - Harsh ride, no floor mats, no sunroof, no leather, no sound insulation, very rattly/squeaky, high insurance, smaller back seat, no wagon option, silly rear wing, cop and rice-boy magnet Evo - Same as STi above, plus Mitsu reliability issues, no cruise control (wtf?), and Mistubishi company instability GTO - Can't find a new one under $30K (i.e. saved $4K+ right there), 2 doors, rear seat access is difficult, absolutely ridiculously small trunk, not AWD, no sunroof, higher insurance, bad gas mileage (I was very close to getting one of these over the Legacy though) Dodge Charger (R/T or SRT-8) - First model year, not AWD, bad gas mileage, MSRP will be $35-40K for SRT-8, dealers won't deal on SRT-8s for a LONG time if ever, it's a big and heavy car, exterior styling is so-so And with gas prices hitting $61 a barrel now, my Legacy's lower payments and higher fuel economy is so appealing. Plus, a simple Cobb Stage 1 or 2 kit can provide all the performance I need when I am ready for around $1,200 to $1,500. Martyr

Archived