LegacyGT.com

Remember my old LGT - Street Racing Disaster

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll pm you with the details. I dont wanna hijack this thread.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

:mad: is right man. Any time I call 911 for anything that happens they bitch me out. They say something like "we know already, stop tying up the lines". Someone broke into my house & I caught the guy & called 911 & they told me it wasn't an emergency & to call the local police dept directly. Where I live is not crime central so they could've easily just connected me. Sorry to get OT there for a min. We just lost a local guy this weekend too on a motorcycle. I don't know what happened exactly but it's very sad either way.

++1 on the above. I once saw a new pickup side swipe a car and drove the poor guy off the road. I couldn't get the license plate off the truck(because it was so small) Crazy me, I gave chase and called 911 on my cell. I chased the truck from Andover Ma (at a safe distance), calling all the time, almost to Worchester at speeds way over 100 MPH. Did any cops respond, NO! I finally gave up when I got low on gas.:icon_mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

There's a reason why my dad got me a 125hp Toyota Camary as my first car. If the Volvo 940(also 125 hp) wasn't discountinued that year, that would have been my car.

Someone with little to no driving experience should not be given keys to a high performance car. Kids will be kids and will get themselves into trouble. The last thing you need to do is give them something to get themselves into more trouble.

Exactly, exactly, exactly!!!!!

Took the words out of my mouth....

Scans, don't feel guilty man, you had nothing to do with it... Impossible to control who buys our cars, and if they do or do not have the skills to drive them!!!!!

Very sad news for the family and friends...

My condolences, and a good incentive NOT to street race!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

not that this is the reason for his death, but KIDS THESE DAYS DO NOT RESPECT MACHINERY!!!!! think about the kids you see these days that parents buy them a car (usualy latemodel) and they beat the living hell out of it, causing breakage and damage....im not pointing fingers, but this has to do with alot of the vehicle manufactures fighting us for warrantee work....at the local subaru dealer, they get at least 2 wrx a month with bad first gears...some have been in for the second time, when subaru decided to not repair any blown trannys (fotr thre first gear issues) some of the kids parents came in screaming and yelling...one of the service advisors on one of the cars that was in there more than once told the women , that her son is abusing the car, she flipped out and told him "you dont know my son he is a respectable driver and takes care of his car!"she thretened to sue the dealer, but it never happend because subaru of new england got involved, subaru didnt cover the repair.

id does suck though when you lose a fellow member that felt the same way we do about our cars...

Tragic.

FWIW, I strongly second the "low powered vehicles for novice drivers" recommendation:

1) In 1975, my mother sold her 68 chevelle SS (My mom's cool) for a Firebird formula. An older gent bought the car for his son, who seemed a little too enthusiastic when he picked it up (a little revving here, some tire chirping there). And off he went.

We got news a few months later that he wrapped the car around a telephone pole a month after he got it and wound up in the hospital for several months. My mother was wracked with guilt for some time afterward.

2) (Closer to home) We have graduated Motorcycle licensing up here, and I was on the second of three stages about ten years ago. I was riding a 1972 CB350 twin (no powerhouse by any stretch) and was A)young and stupid & B) trying desperately to get the bike onto one wheel. I had tried unsuccessfully many times, and given up. One day while out with friends, I tried one last time, and actually made it. Problem was that I ended up losing directional control, crossing three lanes of traffic in the process. I managed to keep it together and rode home with my heart pounding.

(My) moral of the story... Young men will always get into situations where they will allow more horomones than brainpower guide their descisions. While there are young males out there who have the willpower/control to only use power when appropriate, the vast majority will exercise poor judgement at one time or another.

The difference in outcomes is simply random circumstance. Had I lifted the front wheel on my Honda 100 feet further down the road, I would have ended up as part of the grill on a dumptruck, and likely wouldn't be here today.

I'll warrant that most of us have been in at least one situation in our lives where we drove/rode away afterward thinking "holy **** I was lucky there..."

The line between tragedy and learning experience is paper thin. Young(er) males in high powered cars walk that line.

The line between tragedy and learning experience is paper thin. Young(er) males in high powered cars walk that line.

And walk it too often.:( Testosterone is a powerful hormone. My best friend in highschool "built" a 260z back in the 80's. The very DAY he finished buttoning it up in "auto-shop" he raced a Formula FireChicken in the twisties, beat him and lost his life to a 200 yr.old Black Pine.:( I would strongly agree that the vast majority of new drivers should never get a taste of that much power that early.

This must be what my dad did to me when I wanted to buy a "built" 340 Challenger, but ended up with a POS '74 MG.:icon_mad: I was pissed for a couple years, but I never got a ticket b/c the car was constantly up on jack-stands, and was s l o w as a slug.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• 1 month later...
wow just found this post. Very sad story. I disagree w/ the limits of power *given to teenagers* idea, however i am very fortunate and my father raised me well. My graduation gift was skip barber limerock 3 day racing school. This can be interpreted in two different ways, because yes they put you on limerock track and you do go very very fast, but they teach you the fundamentals of driving and how a car can be very dangerous if not used under the right premise as well as having the aquired skill to operate. Skip barber's fundamentals have unfortunately been used throughout my daily driving for a few times while avoiding accidents and such, but it has taught me a great deal of how to control a car in all conditions, i.e. rain and dry. Teaches you all about weight transfer of a car and the lmits of to where they can be pushed. I am now a junior in college, and do consider myself a very good driver, but i even notice now a days my friends just dont know when to use a little responsibility on the roads. It all comes down to the driver in the end. All im saying is if you're going to get a teenager a high powered vehicle you shoudl ATLEAST put them in a driving school, where they can learn about a cars limits and what to do and what not to do because they can safely slide off a track into grass with nothing to worry about vs a pole or another pedestrian! The concepts of driving need to be exercised with responisibility and drivers should all IMO attend some sort of driving school.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

That is sad.

Sport bikes are even worse, and many younger kids seem to gravitate to them too. A good friend of mine had possibly the fastest bike in town, another kid bugged him all summer to race, he repeatedly refused. Finally he gave in and raced. The kid slammed into the back of a truck. Killed instantly. My buddy sold his bike and never owned one since. He was also not the safest of drivers, often running from the police on the freeways.

My condolences to his family for a tragic death. Seeing a few of these accidents in person will change your prespective on things.

We were all kids at one point. We all probably did things we shouldn't have. Only thing is we were fortunate enough to live through it.

God rest his soul in peace.

• 4 weeks later...

R.I.P. and my prayers go out to his family as well as scan....

I wouldn't go so far to point fingers and call people novice drivers....what was done wasn't smart but a dip in the road could throw even the best drivers off sometimes....What happened is most unfortunate but I myself can't go so far to say that i haven't done many many wreckless things in my life.... once again R.I.P....and Scan, i'm sure the kid wouldn't want you to feel guilt in any way.

Archived