LegacyGT.com

Wifey wants 40+mpg commuter car - suggestions?

Wife enrolled in nursing school over 100 miles roundtrip away. Must drive there 5 days per week so the miles (and gasoline bills) are really going to pile up.

She asked me for recommendations. I have a few. Thought I'd solicit suggestions from this knowledgable group. Basic need - must sit 5 passengers. She doesn't like to buy used cars no matter how much sense that makes. Really need a sticker price below $25k. Prefer less than $20k.

Mine are Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wife enrolled in nursing school over 100 miles roundtrip away. Must drive there 5 days per week so the miles (and gasoline bills) are really going to pile up.

She asked me for recommendations. I have a few. Thought I'd solicit suggestions from this knowledgable group. Basic need - must sit 5 passengers. She doesn't like to buy used cars no matter how much sense that makes. Really need a sticker price below $25k. Prefer less than $20k.

Mine are Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris.

I know you said no used but an older civic hybrid would be a great price for people hauling and fuel mileage. Plus what you said.

I know this car does not get 40 per gallon but at a cruising speed of 65 or so you can get 32 out of a legacy.

I know you do not want used but I have seen 05 for 14,500 with 25,000 miles.

Even if you spend an extra 500.00 per year in fuel the car is a way better 3 year value then a pos vw or some little death trap car.

The 2.5I is a great value and is safer then any other car for the money spent.

So get another suby and set the wife up in a safe, reliable car

I realize my suggestion goes against 2 of your needs but for a little extra gas no worries

1000 miles at 40 mpg is 25 gallons per 2 week period = 75.00 per 2 weeks

1000 miles at 30 mpg is 33.3 gallons per 2 week period = 100.00 per 2 weeks = 600 per year

I think the suby will get 30+ and the other options get maybr 38 so the real cost at 3.00 per gallon is prohably 400.00 to 475.00 per year

Over 3 years it is less then 1500.00 and you will save 5000.00 to 10,000 on purchase price

Plus all wheel drive and a real good looking car

Brand new 06 2.5I auto invoice is 19,800 less rebate of 1000.00 plus 500.00 dealer holdback and your at 18,300 brand new. I just saw a few on auto trader for under 15k 05 auto

I like the new Civics, and an EX auto sedan will run about $19K, and includes sunroof, etc. with mileage rated at 30/40 and that's about what folks are getting (according to the 8thCivic.com forums). In fact, I was on the waiting list for a Civic Si sedan, coming out late this fall. But alas, I got too impatient and got the Outback XT, which I like even more, anyway!

didn't know the "new Beetle" comes in TDI model. I'm no fan but she's always liked the pill bug. man it gets 37 city and 44 hwy. that's worth the slightly higher price of buying diesel fuel.

civic or prius hybrid. The diesel prices will kill you and besides they do not get THAT awesome mileage. Consistently superior to the Legacy though.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

2006 Toyota Prius vs 2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI

MPG city 60 vs 36

MPG highway 51 vs 43

MPG combined 55 vs 39

where did you get those numbers? The Mfg?

All of the hybrids list highway mpg's only 10 or so under their city mpg's....but in real world driving, most people get 3-4mpg over the listed city and 10-15 under the listed highway.

Once those batteries die, it's no better then a regular old civic....actually, it's probly worse

If you want highway MPG, diesel (actually driveable) or tiny engine (tiny car) are the way to go

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I love diesels, but they are not an option in CA. Other than in light trucks, there are no diesel passenger cars available for sale new in CA right now due to emissions regs. For 40 mpg in CA in a new car, you're looking at a hybrid, or a small car like the Fit or Yaris.

check out this http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/108467/article.html

What about the 2006 Corolla. 32/41 mpg, also the msrp is $14,105 - $17,880

06 Corolla. 3.9% Financing right now. OR

New Honda Fit. I would test drive both. VW TDI is nice too, more $$$ and deisel fuel still more than regular octane. In fact it's closer or same as premium at a lot of places.

- The Mortgage Man

Guys.......you need to also consider safety.....who cares if it gets 40mpg but will crush like a tin can!

Get a 06 Accord Hybrid demo

The owners secretary just purchased one with about 3k miles on it. After seeing this thread I asked her what she paid.

27,500 it is a nav model

It is a little more than your target was but re-sale on these is great:)

She is getting an avg of (34mpg)........ 75%hwy / 25% city

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Corolla gets 'good' (highest rating) for frontal and 'average' for side

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=305

Given Honda's performance everywhere else, the Fit should be at least as good as the Corolla and Civic. It's got side-impact airbags.

Don't give into the 'smaller cars aren't safe' BS without looking into it first. Our MINI Cooper S is very safe (at least for front seat passengers which is 99.9999% how the car is driven).

Archived