LegacyGT.com

Wifey wants 40+mpg commuter car - suggestions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump for the final decision..??

You should seriously look at the total ownership cost (purchase price + gas + insurance + maintenance + repair).

Ditto, and add Depreciation / Resale in there, too. Doing the math, 500 miles / week X 50 weeks = 25,000 miles per year. At $3.50 / gallon, that works out to:

30mpg = 833 gal = $2917 spent on gas.

35mpg = 714 gal = $2500

40mpg = 625 gal = $2188

So the difference between 30mpg and 40mpg is $729 over the course of a year. Now that's not insignificant, but it represents just 33% of your total gas bill, if that. And could easily be made up in the price of the car itself plus any maintenance / insurance deltas. That's a lot of time spent in the car and I'd be looking for something that (A) I'm VERY comfortable driving, (B) gets above 30mpg on the freeway, and © has a large fuel tank so I'm spending as little time as possible at the gas station. You also said the car needs to seat five, and to do that comfortably, you really need something larger than the Fit / Corolla / Civic, IMO. I'd say Accord 4-cyl MT FTW, and I'd look for something just a year or two old. Buy used, put a ton of miles on it and it, and it will still be worth something a couple years later.

Faced with the same choice, I'd probably go with the Mazda6 4-cyl MT, also a couple years old. Not quite as good mileage as the Honda, but I had the V6 Mazda6 before the LGT and I actually really liked driving that car: with the 4-cyl and the 18 gallon fuel tank I could still be a very happy driver while racking up all those miles. And they can be had used for like $16k, maybe less, which makes a lot more sense than paying new for a car that gets 40+ mpg, only to have it depreciate fast because of those miles.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

she got the 2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan rated at 30/40 mpg, for those who care to know.

Good choice IMO.

And even though I'm very late, just wanted to chime in that all the treehuggers in CA are probably clueless that there is BIODIESEL that exists and can be used in TDI vehicles.. So it's even better than a hybrid!

Oh well, one thing for sure is that all hybrid vechiles have much stronger advertising then... :iam: ...

Is that an Opel? Can't quite make out the badge on the trunklid.

that would be a fun little commuter. Not as fun to drive as a Miata/MX5, or a new Opel GT, but probably a lot cheaper to run, and top-down is still fun no matter what.

^^^^^x2

that thing looks cool! damn U.S. crashworthiness tests. it keeps lots of cool cars away from our shores.

heck, if a big-ass American SUV hit you, they could just bury you with the car (the whole enchilada)!

:icon_twis those big us suv are not selling here! and are not going to sell more with our Eu very high petrol price. In few year i am quite sure they are also going to deseappear from the us:icon_surp

Civic EX is a good call. Our other car (besides my Outback) is an Odyssey, and I think in a couple years we'll switch to the Civic EX, as well, since I can haul stuff (though not as many people, or at least quite as comfortably) with the Outback.

Good choice IMO.

And even though I'm very late, just wanted to chime in that all the treehuggers in CA are probably clueless that there is BIODIESEL that exists and can be used in TDI vehicles.. So it's even better than a hybrid!

Oh well, one thing for sure is that all hybrid vechiles have much stronger advertising then... :iam: ...

i got a high school buddy who is doing that.. he gets 55 gal tanks of used veggie oil from mcd.. and other fast food places. he has a couple diseal cars, one of them is a late model tdi. its 'greener' than anything out there.. and more importantly he smells like french fries every where he goes.

Archived