LegacyGT.com

Spec B: blah

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really consider a 6-sp trans to be necessary. It's nice to have, but when you have a car with a wide torque curve, it isn't *really* necessary. I wouldn't turn it down, though, because it would help in-gear acceleration. Depending on how they space the gears, 0-60 times could suffer, if that matters to anyone. Having driven my R32 for two years (with the 6-sp trans), 0-60 isn't the greatest parameter with which to compare acceleration. It was a good gearbox, though.

I don't understand these posts. People on this board complained frequently about a lack of "upgrades" on the '06 Spec B, and pointed them all in the direction of SOA. SOA in return drops a 6 speed in the '07, gives an aux port for the iPod or whatever, gives STi type seats (for the million people who didn't like the red for some reason) with memory, extra suspension compontents, etc. Yet, everybody still complains. The car gets crap gas mileage as it is, Subaru would have a hell of a time adding more power to the car and still selling it. Get an accessport and you basically have everything you asked for from subaru, for only a few thousand more than the 5spd, no navigation, no bilstein, LGT.

I agree with you, I think the 2007 Spec B is almost everything most people have asked for, with the exception of more power, if it's available in multiple color schemes (wagon owners excluded). But the fact of the matter is that you'll never please everyone and one of the great things about this forum is that it's a place to complain (I'm guilty of it myself). Now if the whole SI-Drive thing interferes with the Accessport then you'll really see some complaining.

If SOA put a better engine in there I'm sure the price difference would be a lot more than just $4000.

Why? The STi's setup doesn't cost a dime more than the LGT's does. A different turbo and different ECU tuning isn't any more money. That's all that separates a 250hp engine from the 300hp version.

A 6 spd (give me the same 5 gears plus a deeper overdrive, thanks) may cost $1k more than a 5spd if they don't try to make you pay extra for something that's been standard in many cars for the past decade.

Something like a twin turbo H6 might cost $5k more but I'd pay that in a heartbeat!

Agreed!!! Granted, we've heard all this before, but SOA could have done just ONE thing to the Spec B, namely drop in the already-developed, already-proven, off-the-shelf STi engine & turbo. They could have scratched everything else (though the red leather & Bilsteins are nice) and that ONE change would have guaranteed the '06 Spec B's would have sold out within a month. They can still do it in '08 (are you listening, SOA?) If they had done that to the '07 Spec B, I would have traded in my '06 for one.

Still love my Spec B, though, even w/o the STi.

We love ours, never seen another on the road, but don't see too many legacys in the south in general. I don't post on here much, but there sure is allot of bitching about things that don't affect you! Sheesh, you don't like it, so you made your statement to SOA by not buying one.

Personally I love the car, my only disappointment is that we bought it for the wife, so I rarely get to drive it. :( About 2K in mods and it will be a monster like the sti, with the comfort and amenitites of a luxury car. Anything comparable from any other manufacturer would cost thousands more. That was my .02, back to lurking.:icon_bigg

I am amused at the positive comments in this thread regarding the red interior in the '06 SpecB.

Admittedly, the lighting wasn't what it should have been at the local (Sacramento) auto show, but the S.O.'s comment about the SpecB was:

"Why did they put part of a brown interior in a grey car? Is this the way they come now?"

-- Steve

My Subauru LegGT wagon MT is 15 months old, 22K miles and Subaru does not have a car to keep me in the Subaru camp when I make my next buy at 45K miles.

After this summer I am going to be spending weeks/months at a time in Sierra's. I would luv a Sti OBwagon, with 6MT and sport suspension.

That will never happen. To bad.:(

Why? The STi's setup doesn't cost a dime more than the LGT's does. A different turbo and different ECU tuning isn't any more money. That's all that separates a 250hp engine from the 300hp version.

A 6 spd (give me the same 5 gears plus a deeper overdrive, thanks) may cost $1k more than a 5spd if they don't try to make you pay extra for something that's been standard in many cars for the past decade.

Something like a twin turbo H6 might cost $5k more but I'd pay that in a heartbeat!

So that would be $5k + $4k then? $45k+ for a specB with a TT H6? I don't think it would be just $5k more for everything the specB already has AND a better engine. How many ppl would be willing to pick one of these up and not cross shop cars like BMW, Lexus or Audi?

We love ours, never seen another on the road, but don't see too many legacys in the south in general. I don't post on here much, but there sure is allot of bitching about things that don't affect you! Sheesh, you don't like it, so you made your statement to SOA by not buying one.

Personally I love the car, my only disappointment is that we bought it for the wife, so I rarely get to drive it. :( About 2K in mods and it will be a monster like the sti, with the comfort and amenitites of a luxury car. Anything comparable from any other manufacturer would cost thousands more. That was my .02, back to lurking.:icon_bigg

I'll make my statements wherever and however the hell I fell like making em. just like you. If you followed your advice then I guess no need for you to say you like it because you have told SOA that by buying one. And I dont care how many times it has been brought up before. I just wanted to have my own rant about it.

The Spec-B wouldn't be as big of a turnoff for me if it wasn't for that red leather inside. I just can't do the red leather thing. I'll hold out for a WRB STi Legacy instead.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Give me a nice dark grey like BMW has and give me dark black leather like Mercedes has. Then give me 325 HP like I know they could choke out of this bad boy if they wanted to. Wrap that up in the body of a Legacy that costs less than $40K and I'm all over it. Keep doing stupid shit like putting red leather in it and gimmicks like navigation and suspension and you can keep your special limited run cars. Give me something that is a real 'head and shoulders above other cars on the road' kind of thing and we can talk trade in value on my 05 LGT. Until then I'll just be happy with my 'fairly freakin fantastic' Legacy. :D

OCDETAILS BLOG

Give me a nice dark grey like BMW has and give me dark black leather like Mercedes has.............Keep doing stupid shit like putting red leather in it and gimmicks like navigation and suspension and you can keep your special limited run cars.
Have you seen the Urban Grey and the Violet Grey that some of the other markets such as Australia get? They are gorgeous colors, not that that does us any good in the USA at this point.

Um, I think there are a lot of people here, including me, that would disagree with your assessment of suspension as a gimmick. For me, suspension was the number one priority as far as mods were concerned, although I caved and bought an AP before I got the upgraded suspension installed. However, there is no way in hell I'm going to stage 2 until I have the suspension, brakes, and tires that I think stage 2 calls for. To me, adding a lot more power without upgrading the suspension and brakes is like building a huge house on a tiny foundation.

I agree, but c'mon.... tacking on that kind of premium for what the Spec B really offers is kind of silly. There are people with better suspension setups AND normal interiors that cost a lot less. I could put navigation and sweet suspension on any GT for less than $4000. You wouldn't get that cool little serial number plate by the shifter, but oh well....

OCDETAILS BLOG

Give me a nice dark grey like BMW has and give me dark black leather like Mercedes has. Then give me 325 HP like I know they could choke out of this bad boy if they wanted to. Wrap that up in the body of a Legacy that costs less than $40K and I'm all over it. Keep doing stupid shit like putting red leather in it and gimmicks like navigation and suspension and you can keep your special limited run cars. Give me something that is a real 'head and shoulders above other cars on the road' kind of thing and we can talk trade in value on my 05 LGT. Until then I'll just be happy with my 'fairly freakin fantastic' Legacy. :D

oh, you would have to have a fantastic wife for her to go for a spec b with what you want on it lol

I love my car ... basically.

Your car is a great car and you don't have to come in here just to defend it!

What this is about to me is the Legacy vs. the Impreza STI. Why won't the Legacy get the bump? Like John M said, the motor has already been tuned for it, so why would it be big deal or price increase to do it?

This whole scheme reminds me of the Trans Am/Z28 vs. Corvette issue GM constantly danced around. The corvette had to be their baby, but the horsepower numbers for the f-bodies should have been the same as those of the Vette. Since 1987, both platforms had the same motor!

Does the WRX STI have to be the horsepower flagship? If so, why?

I agree, but c'mon.... tacking on that kind of premium for what the Spec B really offers is kind of silly. There are people with better suspension setups AND normal interiors that cost a lot less. I could put navigation and sweet suspension on any GT for less than $4000. You wouldn't get that cool little serial number plate by the shifter, but oh well....
I don't think we're that far apart, but the cost of the Spec B suspension alone is not that outrageous, considering that OEM parts tend to be a little overpriced. You can buy the Spec B setup brand new from a dealer for $1,500 or so. If I could have gotten the Spec B suspension as a $1,500 option, I would have.

I guess all I'm saying is that you should have left "suspension" out of your "gimmick" post. :)

What this is about to me is the Legacy vs. the Impreza STI. Why won't the Legacy get the bump? Like John M said, the motor has already been tuned for it, so why would it be big deal or price increase to do it?

This whole scheme reminds me of the Trans Am/Z28 vs. Corvette issue GM constantly danced around. The corvette had to be their baby, but the horsepower numbers for the f-bodies should have been the same as those of the Vette. Since 1987, both platforms had the same motor!

I think you nailed it. The turbo Forester only has 230hp and a sales person said its kind of a pecking order you can't have you small SUV making more power then your sports sedan. Basicly the Impreza is the car they are best known for because they use it as a rally car so of corse a verson of it will be there highest HP car. Now if they got the Legacy into some sort of on-road racing, we would see a higher powered Legacy model but the Impreza would still be top dog at least for a while.

The Skyline is going to hit the states soon so they will loose STI buyers to it so a TTH6 would deffinatly be a competitor for that so lets wait and see whats gonna happen with that.

You can buy the Spec B setup brand new from a dealer for $1,500 or so
Go price out the Spec-B suspension again, dampers, springs, control arms, etc. There is no way you are getting everything for $1500...

Ted

:spin:

I don't quite see it that way, though you make a good point. IMHO, if the LGT and STi had the same turbo system and tuning, plus the drivetrain, that would be cool. However, I doubt sales of one would hurt the other. Typically, the younger folks would still go for the STi. I would have too if the suspension wasn't so stiff (gotta think of my newborn son!).

Besides, we're already 90-95% there with the LGT. Let the aftermarket handle the extra power, and (in some cases) the suspension. For me, the suspension is a-okay considering I have to transport our new son around now. If anything, it could use slightly stiffer springs and thicker anti-roll bars. That may come later...

I dig the red leather, too. If I wanted an all-black leather interior, I would have bought a regular LGT or even an Audi or VW again. Subaru does *not* need to add more Euro flavor to their cars. They should keep doing what they're doing in terms of styling, with exception to the hideous corporate grille their putting on every car now. If I want Euro, I'll buy Euro. This time around, I wanted something a bit different. Hence, my LGT.

Archived