LegacyGT.com

Spec B: blah

Go price out the Spec-B suspension again, dampers, springs, control arms, etc. There is no way you are getting everything for $1500...

Ted

I was thinking just the struts and springs. I thought someone said that's about how much they are.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love these Spec B e-mail threads, always nitpicking away at what comes out after you all bought your 05's. I know how it feels...I bought an 02 WRX back in May 01', and cringed when the STI came stateside, especially with the bigger motor. I must admit, I have some 2007 6 speed envy (though, it sucks arse if you 1/4 mile), but with my set up (Stage 2 TMI TDC), it simply does not need any more gear. The interior is fugly though in blue...I was looking for the uncle-ben's insignia on the window sticker as the official "RICE" option. All that said, no other car with this quality of interior, speed, style, looks, 4 doors, a stick, Nav, and AWD comes close for the money. And in terms of LGT vs. Spec B....all this controversy alone was worth the 4K more for me.

I love these Spec B e-mail threads, always nitpicking away at what comes out after you all bought your 05's. I know how it feels...I bought an 02 WRX back in May 01', and cringed when the STI came stateside, especially with the bigger motor. I must admit, I have some 2007 6 speed envy (though, it sucks arse if you 1/4 mile), but with my set up (Stage 2 TMI TDC), it simply does not need any more gear. The interior is fugly though in blue...I was looking for the uncle-ben's insignia on the window sticker as the official "RICE" option. All that said, no other car with this quality of interior, speed, style, looks, 4 doors, a stick, Nav, and AWD comes close for the money. And in terms of LGT vs. Spec B....all this controversy alone was worth the 4K more for me.

The "rice" option is only available with the Lipstick Red interior.

And I think it's funny when people with Spec B's think people who own an 05 couldn't buy a Spec B if they wanted it. If I thought it was worth it, there would be one in my driveway now. If any other company made a car I wanted more than the LGT, it'd be in my driveway right now.

The fact remains that for most people, the value : price ratio of the Spec B isn't enough to justify choosing one over a regular limited. For the 500 people that do think it is, it's their right to buy one and I won't belittle their decision either.

And I think it's funny when people with Spec B's think people who own an 05 couldn't buy a Spec B if they wanted it. If I thought it was worth it, there would be one in my driveway now. If any other company made a car I wanted more than the LGT, it'd be in my driveway right now.

<Wesley Snipes>Eggzactamundo.</Demolition man>

The "rice" option is only available with the Lipstick Red interior.

+1. if a vehicle manufacturer decides to offer red interior, it needs to be all red (like corvette or porsche), not red seats with black carpet and black seatbelts and black floormats with red trim and black doors with red inserts (red and black do NOT complement each other, IMHO)

although, not a fan of the fake blue suede inserts, either

if they wanted a "limited" look, i think some shade of gray would have been much sharper looking

The only negative comments I've read regarding the red interior are on this forum. Everyone who has seen my car has commented on how beautiful it is, and a lot of them specifically mentioned the red leather. :iam:

The only negative comments I've read regarding the red interior are on this forum. Everyone who has seen my car has commented on how beautiful it is, and a lot of them specifically mentioned the red leather. :iam:

I haven't seen JohnG's Spec.B, but if he says it's beautiful, I believe him.

I just don't understand why folks with GT are complaining about the Spec-Bs...

If you think you got a better value, that is great. But that doesn't mean it is not a nice car, or that the people who bought them are stupid. Your view that this or that sucks, is your opinion. You are entitled to it, but it is not fact. I am happy they brought a Spec-B as it might mean a Legacy STi someday. Oh well, I guess I am happy for people buying subarus in general :lol:

Ted

:spin:

Same here. If it was Whorehouse Red it would be a different story but it is a muted shade of red that really probably shouldn't be called "red" at all. I'm real happy with it.

Re: pricing on the '06 Spec.B, instead of comparing it to the Legacy GT and wondering if the delta was worth it, I compared it to the Lexus IS, Infiniti G35, and Acura RL and TL and concluded that the Spec.B was a terrific deal.

No vehicle is perfect but with all models of the Legacy, Subaru has done a great job of creating an affordable, reliable, good looking, fun to drive high performance car, IMHO.

Actually, I think the red interior is one of the nicest I've seen, and my wife really likes it, too. Nicer and more sophisticated than the lipstick red of the M3, GTO and new Mustang (certainly better leather quality than the new mustang) and a more calm color than porsche's "boxter red" leather, which is more orange.

Maroon seats and door inserts with a black interior seem nice. All red I think would be too much. I might have added black piping to the outer edge seams on the seats, to bring the black of the interior panels back into the seats themselves. But that is a small thing.

What gets me about the Spec B package is it's RESTRICTION!!!!

One color combo, one standard option package, and nearly no optional equipment (to delete, or to add if desired) And if it has to be one color, it had (has) to be a grayscale hue...

the 06 was a limited number (which still haven't all sold, Ramsey Subaru in DSM still has theirs, among others...) So I can begin to see a reason for restricting color and things.

But a 2000$ mandatory premium for NAV. Could do without, but some people might like... but should have been optional on GT, especially the wagon... (who would travel anywhere in a wagon, anyway?)

No HIDs available... I might actually pay for OE HIDs properly designed.

Suspension upgrades should be standard on the GT. OR a relatively inexpensive sport package... ORRR... SPEC B should BE that inexpensive sport package. The suspension upgrade should not be so hard to come by.

The 06 Spec B had no drivetrain changes from a regular GT... and an expensive pricetag to boot. Now they are sitting, and deals can be had, and it is more plausible. Perhaps that says that that particular configuration should have been at a different price point to begin with...

The 07 adds a 6MT to the mix, and possibly VDC (if VDC isn't standard on all 07 Legacy GTs...) which helps justify what will probably still be a high price tag.

The price delta may be worth it for some who would configure their car pretty much exactly the way subaru mandates... but if you have slightly different taste, even in terms of color, all of the sudden you are questioning the price tag.

The 07 is the second verse, same as the first. Still limited with too few *options*. Nav and Hids should be options, so people can delete or add them. Not to again mention a full paint color pallette.

I do not have an 05 Legacy. I don't have a legacy at all yet, and I AM looking to buy one, barring unforseen obstacles.

The 06 Spec B at the current going rate, or even cheaper as the 07s arrive is a somewhat more compelling option than it was originally. MOSTLY it is getting more attractive as the price comes down.

I am bored with silver, but the 06 Spec B looks better with the medium silver and red leather, than dark metallic gray with blue ultra-suede.

But the 07 offers two big standard features that are really busting the 06... -folding rear seats... I am giving up a truck... It will be nice to haul something longer than 2.5 feet long when needed.

-audio input. I know Jazzy's mod is popular, and works... but a nicely integrated factory input is a zero-effort, and selectable as a source. (no blank cd needed, switch on the panel easy...)

The 6MT might be nice, and more robust, but without the rearward bias VTD AWD (seems like it will be symmetrical AWD, 50:50) from the STI's 6MT... it looses a bit of upgrade appeal. An extra gear might be nice, but the improved AWD would have been better.

So, with that... I am left looking forward for information on the 07 LGT Limited. Sans the NAV, sans the extra gear, but with all the features I want, and a color choice...

So for all the effort with the Spec B, it just seems like SOA hit the target, but both shots (06 and what we know about 07) have failed to hit the center bulls-eye that would really make them worth the price, or conversely a great performance value, which the LGT Limited is.

Maybe I'll have to look into getting a Garnet Red, or Obsidian Black 07 GT, and add the red 06 Spec B front seats, door panels, and rear seat bottom pan, and have the rear seat back leather cover modified to re-cover the 07 sedan's folding rear seat backs, and add HIDS, and upgraded suspension, at least a rear sway bar, and lowering springs...

and make my own spec "c" or something...

Actually, I think the red interior is one of the nicest I've seen, and my wife really likes it, too. Nicer and more sophisticated than the lipstick red of the M3, GTO and new Mustang (certainly better leather quality than the new mustang) and a more calm color than porsche's "boxter red" leather, which is more orange.

Maroon seats and door inserts with a black interior seem nice. All red I think would be too much. I might have added black piping to the outer edge seams on the seats, to bring the black of the interior panels back into the seats themselves. But that is a small thing.

What gets me about the Spec B package is it's RESTRICTION!!!!

One color combo, one standard option package, and nearly no optional equipment (to delete, or to add if desired) And if it has to be one color, it had (has) to be a grayscale hue...

the 06 was a limited number (which still haven't all sold, Ramsey Subaru in DSM still has theirs, among others...) So I can begin to see a reason for restricting color and things.

But a 2000$ mandatory premium for NAV. Could do without, but some people might like... but should have been optional on GT, especially the wagon... (who would travel anywhere in a wagon, anyway?)

No HIDs available... I might actually pay for OE HIDs properly designed.

Suspension upgrades should be standard on the GT. OR a relatively inexpensive sport package... ORRR... SPEC B should BE that inexpensive sport package. The suspension upgrade should not be so hard to come by.

The 06 Spec B had no drivetrain changes from a regular GT... and an expensive pricetag to boot. Now they are sitting, and deals can be had, and it is more plausible. Perhaps that says that that particular configuration should have been at a different price point to begin with...

The 07 adds a 6MT to the mix, and possibly VDC (if VDC isn't standard on all 07 Legacy GTs...) which helps justify what will probably still be a high price tag.

The price delta may be worth it for some who would configure their car pretty much exactly the way subaru mandates... but if you have slightly different taste, even in terms of color, all of the sudden you are questioning the price tag.

The 07 is the second verse, same as the first. Still limited with too few *options*. Nav and Hids should be options, so people can delete or add them. Not to again mention a full paint color pallette.

I do not have an 05 Legacy. I don't have a legacy at all yet, and I AM looking to buy one, barring unforseen obstacles.

The 06 Spec B at the current going rate, or even cheaper as the 07s arrive is a somewhat more compelling option than it was originally. MOSTLY it is getting more attractive as the price comes down.

I am bored with silver, but the 06 Spec B looks better with the medium silver and red leather, than dark metallic gray with blue ultra-suede.

But the 07 offers two big standard features that are really busting the 06... -folding rear seats... I am giving up a truck... It will be nice to haul something longer than 2.5 feet long when needed.

-audio input. I know Jazzy's mod is popular, and works... but a nicely integrated factory input is a zero-effort, and selectable as a source. (no blank cd needed, switch on the panel easy...)

The 6MT might be nice, and more robust, but without the rearward bias VTD AWD (seems like it will be symmetrical AWD, 50:50) from the STI's 6MT... it looses a bit of upgrade appeal. An extra gear might be nice, but the improved AWD would have been better.

So, with that... I am left looking forward for information on the 07 LGT Limited. Sans the NAV, sans the extra gear, but with all the features I want, and a color choice...

So for all the effort with the Spec B, it just seems like SOA hit the target, but both shots (06 and what we know about 07) have failed to hit the center bulls-eye that would really make them worth the price, or conversely a great performance value, which the LGT Limited is.

Maybe I'll have to look into getting a Garnet Red, or Obsidian Black 07 GT, and add the red 06 Spec B front seats, door panels, and rear seat bottom pan, and have the rear seat back leather cover modified to re-cover the 07 sedan's folding rear seat backs, and add HIDS, and upgraded suspension, at least a rear sway bar, and lowering springs...

and make my own spec "c" or something...

Nominated for the "longest post ever" award.

To me, there are three things wrong with the latest offering. 1) No wagon option; 2) Excessive weight; 3) No brake upgrade.

Someone stated it above - it's foolish to throw more power at this car without upgrading the brakes and suspension. The Bilstein components might have this covered (haven't driven one so not sure), but having driven a stock LGT more than once, I can say that a heavier version in the SpecB along with more power really requires better braking force.

Why not offer the STi Brembo package and wheels that will clear it as standard on the SpecB? We can always add power in the aftermarket, but a track-ready brake setup would cost $1k or more in the aftermarket. Even more if you have to upgrade wheels to clear the setup.

Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

+1. if a vehicle manufacturer decides to offer red interior, it needs to be all red (like corvette or porsche), not red seats with black carpet and black seatbelts and black floormats with red trim and black doors with red inserts (red and black do NOT complement each other, IMHO)

No way... If the entire interior were all read, then it would be over the top. It's fine just the way it is. Red and black go fine together.

You're saying you'd want a red dashboard and all red interior trim??

Wow... I know it was your opinion, but to me, that would be extremely tacky.

Just because Chevy and Porsche do it, doesn't make it good.

~~~~~~~~~

And for those who think the LGT is "too heavy," please check the weight of other comparable AWD sedans. It's actually not that bad. Our A4 Avant is nearly 3800 lbs. *That* is heavy. These cars aren't going to get any lighter. If people want a track car, buy the STi. Why bother complaining that Subaru didn't market the LGT as a high-performance race car for the street?

And for those who think the LGT is "too heavy," please check the weight of other comparable AWD sedans. It's actually not that bad. Our A4 Avant is nearly 3800 lbs. *That* is heavy. These cars aren't going to get any lighter. If people want a track car, buy the STi. Why bother complaining that Subaru didn't market the LGT as a high-performance race car for the street?
I was actually stating the spec.B was too heavy. The '06 LGT Limited weighs in at 3,365 lbs, compared to 3,500 lbs for the '06 spec.B. The '07 spec.B is shown to come in at 3,515 lbs - not bad considering they've replaced the 5MT with the 6MT. I wonder how much we could shave by making the NAV and sunroof optional equipment.
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

Archived