Is this you first subaru?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. Is this you first subaru?

• No, have owned Subaru's before
    • First Subaru

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IWSS, you and I both know that with every year that passes, you'll keep telling yourself "Oh, if I just wait until the (insert next year here)- version arrives, it'll be vastly improved over the current year. I must continue holding out to 2010." :);)

Owned several starting in 1987 since I needed a winter car (new 1987 Mustang GT - still have - doesnt like the snow)

1979 Wagon 4sp Hi/Lo range transfer case (Sold at 147,000 miles went on to 205,000) Complete with Rams head door sticker with the words - Yama Yagi which means mountain goat if I recall correctly - gotta love the late 70's marketing

1982 GL Wagon 4sp Hi/Lo range transfer case (Sold at 123,000 miles)

1987 GL-10 Wagon AWD 5sp w/AC (finally AC) (sold at 97,000 miles went on to 156,00 when it was t-boned and totaled)

1990 Legacy L Auto AWD/ABS (sold at 92,000 miles)

1997 Legacy Wagon GT Auto - First new Subie (sold at 90,000 miles)

2003 Legacy Wagon GT Auto (62,000 and counting...

2007 ???? perhaps a new GT sedan

Oh and first post.

05 LGT LTD 5MT, my first, and probably my last. Bad experiance with both the dealer I bought it from AND Subaru of Canada. If I were in US, it would've been different, 'cuz this car in US is $30k USD and I paid like $45K CND in Canada. Well, for that money it's not worth it. Too bad I haven't tried other cars because I fell in LOVE with this car and turned out to be....well, not worth it :(

This LGT is my first Subie, though I know a fair number of people who have had them in the past, usually for a long time. No clue what my next car will be, 5+ years from now we could have a 400hp Camry or nothing but 98hp hybrids if we've got $15/gal gas.

'05 WRX STI, before the two LGT LTD's. I keep dreaming of a twin turbo flat six in a nice wagon, sedan or even coupe. Subaru has the ability to become the "not so poor man's Porsche," if only they would step up to the plate.

X2

First Subie. Who knows what car I will get in 8 years from now. So many choices to go with nowadays and it'll only get better.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Summary of what's been wrong?

long story. I've been actually thinking of making a web site about what happened 'cuz I found a lot of complaints regarding that dealership. But in short, they gave me a car and PDI wasn't done (I didn't know that when I pickup a car, found out couple of weeks later after I started discovering things). I drove the car with bad alignment 400km home (didn't notice it right away because of traffic, when I figured that my alignment is bad, I couldn't take it back to a delaer - it was late afternoon saturday). Once I started discovering things about PDI not being completed, I also saw scratches on that clear plastic over gauges and saw something unusuall on rear bumper and thought it was a 'flaw' (first time when I was cleaning the car about a week or two after I picked up a car). Then, it took a whole buch of phone calls to a dealer and SOC to do my PDI and fix that plastic and bumper. I drove for over 1000km with bad alignment. They did a PDI about a MONTH after I bought a car and told me that the bumper was hit and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Plus there were all these other things. I'm strongly thinking of making a web site and sharing it that way 'cuz if I just post it here on the boards, no one would care.

That all happened in August of 2005. Oh yeah, this car was made in May/04 (I think, have to check). One of the dealers (not the one I bought it from) got the car in Aug/2004. Pretty much, it was sitting on a lot for 1 year and they haven't told me that. I was stupid not to ask 'cuz I trusted them. Subaru says, 'well, you got a 05 model' well, thanks, I got an '05 model that was sitting on a lot for 1 YEAR !!!!!

It's too bad that this has hapened to an otherwise enjoyable car. On one hand you are stuck with a dealer that has obviously overlooked an important part of the delivery process, but on the other hand it is part of the purchaser's responsibility to know what they are getting, ie do a walkaround check and test drive before signing the title transfer paperwork. I did this and the salesman was livid to the point of complaining that he has a life outside of work and wanted to go home... but I insisted that I drive my car before I legally take ownership in case something is drastically wrong.

But anyway, before you do anything drastic, remember that the dealer has royally screwed up and isn't taking responsibility, and this is only something you would have found out after buying the car and taking it home... Could have happened at any non-Subaru dealership too...

Yes, too bad it happened to a car like this. I really LOVE the car, and that's why I bought it. I hate that it has rattles and that stutter issue, which sometimes makes me hate it too, but I can live with it I guess. Those are one of the reasons why I think this car is not worth the money. My g/f civic doesn't rattle like this car, and it costs half the price as this one, plus it's '03 and has like 40K km on it. But anyway, not to get off topic here I'm going to have to disagree with you. You see, I paid about $1200 for freight and PDI (PDI being around $700-800). I personally DON'T think that I should overcheck something I paid for. One thing, like I mentioned, I PAID FOR IT !!! Other thing is that I'm buying a BRAND NEW car. Come on, it should get a fricking alignment DONE before a customer picks up a car. PLUS, they picked up a car from the other dealer (because they didn't have that one on their lot) and THEY DROVE IT for about 15km. How come they didn't notice a bad alignment???

The other thing, they completly rushed me with everything (and I discovered that I wasn't the only one, other ppl had the same experiance at that dealer). I told the salesman that I wanna see the car (it was my first time buying a brand new car, at a time I was 23, I only owned used cars previously which I bought from my brother - 2 in total), he said not a problem, he told me to take a seat this will take a sec, he explained me everything regarding warranty and all that stuff, had me signed something and completly rushed me. Now, we're off to see a car. All excited (did I mention that I was 23 buying a $45K car? ) he takes me to the BACK of the building. There was my car, sitting btw. all other cars in a shade (day before when I talked to him over phone he told me that the car is IN THEIR SHOW ROOM). So walking towards the car (all excited) I got to the car looking at it and can't find anything really (it's black in color and sitting IN A SHADE). I noticed one scratch on trunk lid, about 1/2" long and didn't care about it. I also noticed door handels scratched and didn't care much about it. We all get into the car and he shows me everything inside. I noticed that a lighter wasn't there and he said he'll give me one. And that was about it from what I could notice. I went and bought him a coffee from across the street. Couldn't notice bad alignment then. Even after we took off, there was so much traffic (late saturday afternoon) and to be honest, I was sooo tired (both me and my dad) because we took a bus (450km from home). We got to the highway, still traffic - slow down, go around one car, change lanes, avoid potholes - finally, about 100km outside of Toronto I notice car pulls. By then, dealer has closed and I'm thinking even if I brought it back they wouldn't do the alignment - who knows if they do it in their shop or take it somewhere else, so I didn't wanna drive back there - besides, I WAS TIRED!!!!

Next two weeks I was busy at work, and one weekend I finaly wash my BRAND NEW car. That's when I started noticing things. They didn't even give me a hook that holds the fricking mat on driver side.

Well, I told a lot, but there's still A LOT more to it.

In short, car was dirty, had finger prints all over a-pillar, headliner and visior (sp?).

Sad thing is that, I sat in that car in 2002 or 2003 autoshow in Detroit and since then I knew I wanted that car. Didn't even consider test driving other cars. I bought it, and turned out to be waste of money. So, would it happen to ANY non-Subaru dealers? Maybe yes, but I DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER LOOKING AT OTHER CARS !!!!!

Like I said, there's too much to tell. That's why I didn't wanna start it here on this forum because it would just stay here - that delaer deserves to be punished. I read a lot other story about that dealer AFTER I bought a car. Too bad I didn't research a dealer before I went there, but there's always a frist time I guess. I personally don't think dealers should do this and customers shouldn't be searching about dealers. I would expect this from a small dealer that sells used cars.

It's 1:20 and more I think about this, more frasturated I get - and I have an exam tomorrow, which I'm studing for as we speak.

Good luck with your exam!

I was 19 when I picked up my first new Outback which is when the salesperson gave me a rough time about driving the car that would ultimately be mine. With all the stories about crappy dealers, I am not surprised. Fortunately mine has been pretty good.

One word of advice: Make sure your website is aimed at the dealer and not just Subaru (except for the issues you have with the car unrelated to the lack of PDI)

I still find it hard to believe they only did a partial PDI (I believe there are things that MUST be done in order for the car to actually work properly...) but they definately overlooked other stuff.

I do have some rattles in my car now too, but then again one look on volvo and other owner forums turns up the same complaint "My xxxxx car rattles when my friend's xxxxx doesn't..."

What would turn me off of a 4th Subaru is lack of better performance offerings - the rattles I can live with providing the roar of a Turbo H6 drowns them out :p

Thanks.

It wasn't a partial PDI, nothiing was done. Passanger side seatbelt wouldn't rall back in. That's when I started getting suspicious and one memeber from this forum sent me a checklist for PDI. Once I went through the checklist that's when I realized that PDI wasn't done. I called the dealer I bought it from and they told me I should take it up with the other dealer. I'm like, why should "I" do that? They just wouldn't do anything about it so I had to take it up with SOC.

Anyway, congrats that you could buy a new car at the age of 19. Keep in mind that this is an expensive car in Canada. Buying this car in US (~$30K) is like buying a Civic in Canada (~$30K). That's the difference btw US and CA standard !!!

seberry>> I forgot to make a point when I said that I was 23 at a time I bought this car: I'm young and I'll be buying more cars in my lifetime. Subaru obviously didn't look at it that way. They screwed me over and their #1 principle was to SELL the car. If they made that first impression positive (to me) they would've have a loyal customer who'd probably come back. They obviously didn't care.

mlrtime>> it's all over now. I don't have time to call everyday.

gotta go back to studying...

This is my first Suby, but I have been in love with it since early 2004. I love the room, speed, modability, and price point on the Legacy. That, and getting to see the look on people's faces when they see a silver wagon shoot off like it can is amazing.

Three total for Me.

1993 Emerald Green Impreza L Wagon (Used)

Traded For:

1998 Quick Silver Legacy L Sedan (New)

Traded For:

2004 Silver Stone 35th Anniversary Legacy Sedan (New)

This most likely be my last as I loved them all during winter in Virginia.

But I have no need for the AWD since I moved to Florida. Must admit though it does come in handy for the rainy season. (whispers: just make sure you get better tires than the stock RE92's they are horrible.) Can't keep a good Subie down!!!

1976 GL

1986 GL Turbowagon

1996 Outback 2.5L

2002 Outback VDC

1992 Subaru SVX

2006 Legacy GT Limited

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

First Subaru for me.

I've known poeple that have had them but was never really that impressed. When the wife and I decided to get something bigger (I had a Civic coupe and she has an Acura Legend coupe) I started looking around and had decided the WRX wagon was a bit small but found out about he redisign of the Legacy and that they would include a turbo. Bingo! That's the car for me! ;)

I did shop other makes but wasn't all that impressed with the Volvo offerings (even test drove a V70R but it definitely wasn't worth the $14K premium), or the Audi/VW reliability concerns.

Right now I'd definitely buy another one. It's not my turn though, and the wife has it in for a BMW (she's always wanted one). Of course my mind might change in the future but for now I'm lovin' it! :D;)

Cheers!

-Ian

Archived