LegacyGT.com

Updated upgrade maps dvd navigation help?

subscribe! I'd love to hear from someone once they get the new discs to see what's changed & maybe, just maybe, we can use the nav while the car's moving!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow!!! What an informative response from Kenwood! I guess that makes it official: there actually IS a 2006/2007 set of discs!

BTW, that bright thing in the sky is the sun, grass is green, and we live on planet Earth. At least most of us do....

:stupid: For those of you don't live on Earth or at least South Carolina, the new discs arrived today. The setup menu says,

3100 Kenwood © 2004

2006 ver. 2

A quick glance shows everything is pretty much the same. I haven't taken it out for a spin yet but my stored locations are retained. I'll post a follow up if a few roads I drive every day are not there. That may help decide if you want to buy if Subaru won't give them to you. There cost is $232.00

:stupid: For those of you don't live on Earth or at least South Carolina, the new discs arrived today. The setup menu says,

3100 Kenwood © 2004

2006 ver. 2

A quick glance shows everything is pretty much the same. I haven't taken it out for a spin yet but my stored locations are retained. I'll post a follow up if a few roads I drive every day are not there. That may help decide if you want to buy if Subaru won't give them to you. There cost is $232.00

Thanks for being one of the first, if not the first guinea pig! Give us updates as soon as you can. The price is steep, especially if it turns out that very little has changed. Here's hoping you bring us good news!

Well, folks, I've got some mediocre news. I'd rate the ver.2 2006 update as a C- grade. I did my normal desert daily commute and I discovered NO new features and everything you didn't like is still there. I agree and locked out menus and no destination entry on the fly are still there. There's no 3-D view like the Kenwood after-market model, either. It seems to be a map update only.

So why a C-? They added the 8 mile freeway bypass (opened in spring 2004) that used to have me plunging though a guardrail and driving off a freeway embankment into the desert. But, I still plunge off a cliff onto the railroad tracks below where the county relocated a bridge in 2001. You city folks might be more impressed.

I was afraid of this. A "New & Improved!" version of the same old sh*t, with nothing new and nothing improved. Like I said before, if I could figure out any way to interface my HP Ipaq Travel Companion (Tom-Tom v6) to the built-in display, I'd tear out the Kenwood underseat unit and toss it in the lake!

Sorry you actually spent good money on that "upgrade," but like you, I assumed something would actually be improved. I should have known better.

If you do discover any improvements, let us know.

Thanks!

Ah, my friend, if I had spent money on it I would be truly pissed. I merely invested in the time it took to badger the dealer into sending it. I just bought this car six weeks ago and figured I was due like all software used to be for a new upgrade and only the better ones are now.

I called 1-800-Subaru3 and talked to a customer service representative about the navigation. The guy was genuinely interested in my comments and seemed to indicate that all manner of things can be programmed into the Nav via the disk. The problem is that no one ever calls in. I was probably the first ever (or at least it seemed like it). Subaru does their own tailoring of the software so call in with your suggestions of features from other units you'd like to see on the OEM unit. Frankly, I don't have a problem getting the Nav to do what I want but it seems some do so if you want the next disk to have more than just map updates give them some feed back.

That said, I used my Nav like crazy today. It is an excellent tool. Ran into heavy traffic due to the nice day and everyone going out for a drive coupled with massive construction projects. On the fly, I selected one of my marks; preference, no tollways, no freeways; etc. The traffic was moving better than I expected at one point so selected freeway but no tollways and was able to use the Nav to help me figure out some cool short cuts. Using the different info displays and scouting ahead via touch screen the calculated route I was able to pop in some way points to tailor the route. If I didn't like my solutions, I'd just cancel the nav and have it figure out a new route. Man, it was great. I ducked all the choke points and made it to my destination 30 minutes faster than the broadcast travel times.

The tutorial disk says that there are many more ways to use the system than they are able to demonstrate. They are right. There's piles of info on the system and many, many ways to use the pretty powerful hard drive to exploit it.

Call them. 1-800-Subaru3

I suspected that I was just ignorant. Why would this be such an expensive option otherwise? Unfortunately, I received no tutorial disk nor even any manuals when I purchased the car. I did ask for a manual when I got the update and they included a Tribeca manual but obviously I'm on the steep side of the learning curve. Thanks for the tip on Subaru's Maytag Man. I will put him to work.

I suspected that I was just ignorant. Why would this be such an expensive option otherwise? Unfortunately, I received no tutorial disk nor even any manuals when I purchased the car. I did ask for a manual when I got the update and they included a Tribeca manual but obviously I'm on the steep side of the learning curve. Thanks for the tip on Subaru's Maytag Man. I will put him to work.

I read a review of the Spec.B by some auto writer attending to the Detroit auto show. He and a couple of buddies decided that a road trip to Canada would be a good way to put the car through its paces. On the Nav, they thought is was broken or something because when they programed a route to Toronto (or some other city) the Nav kept calculating routes that ran parallel to the freeways. I laughed when I read that because they had obviously de-selected freeways and/or tollways in the route preference options.

You are in tough if you don't have the manual or disks because they do give you a base from which to work. That said, even the manual and disk don't even begin to scratch the surface of the way you can eventually operate the system.

"Maytag man". :lol:

• 4 months later...

Hi, Friends,

My subie is going to Europe this month and I was wondering where to get EU nav maps... First, I'll take any version for the time being :eek: just because something is better than nothing (drop me a PM if you are willing to burn it). But a newer version would be even better... Anybody knows when newer EU maps will be available?

(yeah, I am a good citizen, but $600 for a DVD is :woowoo: )

Thanks,

Klaus

• 5 months later...

OK just received this reply today. Surprised they responded so quickly.

QUOTE:

from

sales@store.kenwoodusa.com

Dear Matt:

Thank you for your email. Currently, we are shipping version 3.0, even though the information is tied to version 2.0. If you order with us, it will be version 3.0. Thank you for pointing this out as we work to rectify the description on this. There has only been one update since the original 06 version was released. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for your time.

Cordially,

Sara

Kenwood Store

• 1 month later...

I just received my Version 3.0 DVD from SoA. I'll let you know how it looks once I load it in and check some addresses, but if Kenwood said its "tied to V 2.0" that's very concerning. My 2.0 is way out of date.

Do you think they mean they just slapped a new label on the same 2.0 data set?

Well, I popped the 3.0 disk in this morning. Displays are identical, and I cannot find any new "features", but I presumed these are mostly hardwired, and not on the DVD anyway. The maps, buttons, etc. all look the same. Languages and voices are the same (i.e., you still have three options - annoying lady, annoying pseudo british guy, and french).

As for data, I am pleased to announce that the ATM near me is no longer only listed as "BankBoston", which changed to Fleet in about 2001 and then Bank of America in about 2004. Now it lists it as both BankBoston and BoA. I looked for a restaurant that I know was in business here in Boston from about 2004-late 2006 and its listed, so I know the data at least has updates since 2004. But I'm still not so confident that its that new. The TeleAtlas copyright on the disk says 2006.

I'll keep plugging in some places I know opened in the last few years and try to pin it down, but seems like there may be some improvements circa 2005, maybe 2006. But I'm not exactly wowed. I'll also have to check whether the new layouts for the Big BIg road project are on there, that'll be a biggie. Plus, by the time my lease is up in 2010, I'll have data 5 years out of date.

Keep you posted.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the 3.0 DVD - came yesterday and installed flawlessly. Considering i have an '08 spec. b was not happy about paying $235 or so for the update disk!

Anyway, as masssuby says its got updated data. Not sure its worth the $$$ but i'm one of those folks who needs to keep versions managed.

I have the 2.0 version for sale (a whopping 6 months old on a car with 5,000 miles) if anyone wants to PM me with an offer

• 1 month later...

Archived