LegacyGT.com

Updated upgrade maps dvd navigation help?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
600 is just price gouging.... and if they made the system so that kenwood's DVD's don't work I'll sue!

I'm usually an upright citizen but if 600 is forced upon us I don't know if I'll get it. I can buy a DVD burner for way less than that.

HINT HINT

And I thought Pioneer was bad charging $300 for "upgraded" map discs that included NO updated roads in my area!

Check ebay immediately after the latest discs are released. You'll probably be able to buy a DVD-R "backup" of the new discs for under $30. Check soon after the release, because ebay tends to crack down and cancel the auctions once they realize what is being sold!

holly fack!! :icon_surp Well now the Kenwood one sounds more appealling at $320 lol. So does anyone know if that dvd will work for sure?

SOA told us (in Tribeca Navigation training) that any Kenwood update disc would work BUT! if you use the standard Kenwood disc it would probably disable the other functions of the display unit (i.e. maintenance reminder, gauges, etc).

That would be great if someone could give that a try. And as for what chuck said, is our kenny even able to play +/- R disks? If so that would be a great idea. lol But the word on the street for the new Subie disks are Aug and Jan right?

• 3 months later...
OK...Just got the call back from Kenwood OEM and there are some updated disks that are 2005. But even newer disks will be out in August and the 2007 disk will be out in January. He did say you would be better off waiting for the August disk because he said the 2005 disks arent that different than the 2004 ones.
Any updates on this, like a new SOA part number?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
OK...Just got the call back from Kenwood OEM and there are some updated disks that are 2005. But even newer disks will be out in August and the 2007 disk will be out in January. He did say you would be better off waiting for the August disk because he said the 2005 disks arent that different than the 2004 ones.
Well, here it is the end of January. hovied, how about giving the Kenwood guy another call?

I see that Kenwood USA has a new version of the map DVDs (KNA-MP416) on their site at http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=38&k3=150&pr=2732, but their store only shows an old version (KNA-MP414A) at http://store.kenwoodusa.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=6. I understand that we can use the generic Kenwood map DVDs, but we'll lose the Subaru-specific functionality, mostly from the INFO button, like being able to adjust the security shock sensor sensitivity.

In another thread, a Subaru owner in Europe wrote:

The new Version 4 Subaru DVD to go sale in December in Europe lets you input destinations while moving after you Agree to a screen that asks you: ‘Are you the passenger?’
I sure hope we in North America get the same functionality - and soon!

I just bought a 07 lgt with navi and the DVD case shows ver 1.1 2005-2006 86283AG04B. The version in the system itself shows... 2004 ver.3. This is not new. The 04 Honda Accord I bought with navi had 2002 maps. The Magellan Roadmate 700 I bought has several years old maps as well. When I upgraded it (rm700) just 6 months ago, it upgraded the functions/features to a Magellan RM 760 but the maps only upgraded to the next quarter of 2004. So the maps never really got updated. The cool thing about Honda (Alpine) is, they state the updates to maps (cities/towns etc...) and they will state if there is new functionality or not. That is why I decided never to upgrade. There were 4 upgrades and none of them helped me so I saved the $185 per update! I must say... Honda/Acura has the best factory GPS out there. I bought my first Subaru (with navi) because I wanted an AWD vehicle since my wife wants to get rid of the pilot suv and go with a minivan. So I will have a car just to myself to cruise around in and not have to have only a minivan!

BTW, does anyone know how to make Subaru navi work while driving like in the Hondas? Drives me crazy that I have to stop and program in a destination! I am new here so I will start to search around... Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Two weeks ago I was told by the dealer in Santa Monica that the new 2007 U.S. disks would be released mid Feb. That's tomorrow in a non-leap year. but then I was told by the same dealer that I would hear of updates directly from Kenwood until I showed them Kenwoods Tech Support message that OEMs are supported by the OEM.

;975155']Well, here it is the end of January. hovied, how about giving the Kenwood guy another call?

I see that Kenwood USA has a new version of the map DVDs (KNA-MP416) on their site at http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=38&k3=150&pr=2732, but their store only shows an old version (KNA-MP414A) at http://store.kenwoodusa.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=6. I understand that we can use the generic Kenwood map DVDs, but we'll lose the Subaru-specific functionality, mostly from the INFO button, like being able to adjust the security shock sensor sensitivity.

In another thread, a Subaru owner in Europe wrote:I sure hope we in North America get the same functionality - and soon!

Well, I tend to think this is not true. Using the generic discs should have no effect on the Subie menus. I haven't given up on this and have actually been doing lots of legwork. I'll update the other OEM NAVI HACK Thread when I've compiled all my research. If you take your DVDs out of the reader, as I have, the info button and all it's features still work just fine.

The INFO button, it's features, shock sensor, calculator, maintenance, etc. have nothing to do with the DVD discs read from the KNA 3200 (under our seats). Rather, our touch-screens (FGZ-000UF2/DDX7015) have the OS embedded in ROM/EPROM. Now, the question of whether or not that ROM is "flashable" remains to be seen. It has to have been programmed somehow and I can't imagine Kenwood embedding custom ICUs just for SOA - gotta be software IMNSHO. The problem is that there are several other Kenwood NAVI and touchscreen HUs that are indeed flashable per Kenwood's easily findable documentation. I have been completely unable to find any documentation pertaining to flashing our NAVI units. Sigh.

The DVDs we have from SOA contain .KWI and a couple of dat files. These files contain mostly Nav/geographical data not Subie diagnostic interface and functionality code - that stuff is built into the display unit. These files are thoroughly compiled and basically the entire Nav system is completely proprietary, and made by Denso. Our Denso systems are very, very similar to the Denso Nav systems in Corvettes, Tundras, Caddies, etc. The folks on those other Boards are also frustrated and have been stonewalled at every turn by both current and former Denso technicians. Many people are still trying to work these issues out.

Now in all likelihood, IMO, there should be a way to flash the ROM (again if it's found to be possible) from certain files on those DVDs. Other Kenwood systems actually have flash memory slots from which to perform the firmware upgrades - ours do not. Again the problem is there is no documentation and no cooperation. The Acura TL guys (whose system may also be Denso based) have actually found a way hack their specific systems only, accessing a diagnostic menu, and pointing to their hacked (manually and via TL-specific software).

I'm keeping hope alive.

:icon_conf

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Well, I tend to think this is not true. Using the generic discs should have no effect on the Subie menus. I haven't given up on this and have actually been doing lots of legwork. I'll update the other OEM NAVI HACK Thread when I've compiled all my research. If you take your DVDs out of the reader, as I have, the info button and all it's features still work just fine.

The INFO button, it's features, shock sensor, calculator, maintenance, etc. have nothing to do with the DVD discs read from the KNA 3200 (under our seats). Rather, our touch-screens (FGZ-000UF2/DDX7015) have the OS embedded in ROM/EPROM. Now, the question of whether or not that ROM is "flashable" remains to be seen. It has to have been programmed somehow and I can't imagine Kenwood embedding custom ICUs just for SOA - gotta be software IMNSHO. The problem is that there are several other Kenwood NAVI and touchscreen HUs that are indeed flashable per Kenwood's easily findable documentation. I have been completely unable to find any documentation pertaining to flashing our NAVI units. Sigh.

The DVDs we have from SOA contain .KWI and a couple of dat files. These files contain mostly Nav/geographical data not Subie diagnostic interface and functionality code - that stuff is built into the display unit. These files are thoroughly compiled and basically the entire Nav system is completely proprietary, and made by Denso. Our Denso systems are very, very similar to the Denso Nav systems in Corvettes, Tundras, Caddies, etc. The folks on those other Boards are also frustrated and have been stonewalled at every turn by both current and former Denso technicians. Many people are still trying to work these issues out.

Now in all likelihood, IMO, there should be a way to flash the ROM (again if it's found to be possible) from certain files on those DVDs. Other Kenwood systems actually have flash memory slots from which to perform the firmware upgrades - ours do not. Again the problem is there is no documentation and no cooperation. The Acura TL guys (whose system may also be Denso based) have actually found a way hack their specific systems only, accessing a diagnostic menu, and pointing to their hacked (manually and via TL-specific software).

I'm keeping hope alive.

:icon_conf

Great info. There was a thread on the forum recently about the '07 cars having the ability to display the temperature in the top right corner when viewing the map that doesn't exist on the '06 units (the only way to get the temp to display on my car is switch to info or pull up the last button and see on the display overlay along with the brightness and contrast controls). This would seem to support that those features are separate from the underseat Nav unit itself and it's operating system as I believe the '07 cars have the same DVD's/OS that we do.

I'm not sure if this will be any help or not, but I found a website that has schematics and user manuals for the KNA-DV3200:

https://www.manualsparadise.com/ShowProductsForModel.do?model=M65838543

Err... thanks man. But, you can get that manual for free in the Hack thread if you search. I posted it a while back on my Web site.

Besides, we're interested in the HU not the under-seat DVD unit. Trying to find a way to read/crack/reprogram the the EEPROM / NVRAM within.

:icon_mrgr

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized product support center for Kenwood, we are replying to your recent e-mail.

In regards to your inquiry, there is a 2006/2007 disc that should be available. Please check with the Subaru dealer.

If you have any further questions or need help with anything, please feel free to contact us again.

***********************************************************************************

Kenwood U.S.A. Corporation

Consumer Services

P.O. Box 22745

Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized product support center for Kenwood, we are replying to your recent e-mail.

In regards to your inquiry, there is a 2006/2007 disc that should be available. Please check with the Subaru dealer.

If you have any further questions or need help with anything, please feel free to contact us again.

***********************************************************************************

Kenwood U.S.A. Corporation

Consumer Services

P.O. Box 22745

Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

Wow!!! What an informative response from Kenwood! I guess that makes it official: there actually IS a 2006/2007 set of discs!

BTW, that bright thing in the sky is the sun, grass is green, and we live on planet Earth. At least most of us do....

Archived