LegacyGT.com

Guaging interest in Crucial Racing quad tip cat back exhaust (sedan) turndowns (XT)

Mblock66

Would you be interested in purchasing a Crucial Quad Tip Cat Back System?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing a Crucial Quad Tip Cat Back System?

• Yes, and I would be willing to prepay some undetermined amount to get the project moving
    • Yes, but I am not putting any money down
    • No, Already have a cat back or am just not interested

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct to a certain extent about flow = sound. However there are ways to deaden the sound even on a very high flowing exhaust system. The WRX exhaust in the beginning of this thread is a perfect example. That is a single 3 " pipe and it isn't nearly as loud as some of the other WRX cat backs. And that is catless too!

Have faith highwaydrifter

Stromung's pipes are too big and sit too low. They don't look right on our cars...IMO.

Their system is really the only one that I've seen that tucks under the car (maybe not the bumper cutouts...) VERY Nicely...and it is very flat, w/o hanging down at the Y pipe, like so many others...

bunch of old farts on here...

ITS NOT ABOUT SOUND!!!!!!!!!

ITS ABOUT FLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLOW EQUALS POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLOW ALSO EQUALS SOUND (to a certain extent)!!!!!!!

so if its a trade off between lots of sound and tons of flow or little sound and barely any flow improvement... WEll lets just say this

DRONE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you even participating in this?? You want loud and flow buy something else,it's out there,or better yet ,get yourself a full 3 inch catless custom setup with dual cherry bombs in the rear,that tends to be what you say your looking fr.

I'm not afraid to say it,I HAVE grown out of the "hey everybody my eardrums are numb but I'm makin powa!" stage in life.

Been there done that.

Personally it isn't even that much of a trade off. You do want some backpressure too. So that will give back the low end power

Here we go with the old "a little backpressure is good" again. Backpressure is NEVER GOOD! This myth came from when people went with overly large diameter piping and lost low end power. The conclusion was that since the bigger piping offered less backpressure, that the reduced backpressure was causing the loss of power. That is not the case. The bigger diameter piping reduced exhaust gas VELOCITY, which hurt low RPM scavenging. The exhaust gas stream is a series of pulses. The exiting pulses create a low pressure zone behind themselves as they move through the exhaust piping. These low pressure zones help pull out the subsequent exhaust gas pulses. When the velocity of these pulses gets too low due to oversized piping, you lose this scavenging effect. The key is finding the right balance between velocity and total flow, but you always want to reduce backpressure as much as possible while maintaining that balance.

Nobody is kidding anybody here,most of us know it's a trade off .

+1

We who originated the Crucial request (or, alternatively, read: bullied Jeremy into doing this for us) are indeed aware of the trade-offs.

Again, as with many here, I've had plenty of vehicles that had louder exhausts. More free-flowing exhausts. More power to the wheels - much more - than my current LGT.

What we seek is a civilized, sophisticated compromise.

If our intent had been to maximize flow to support a much-larger turbo, much more power-intensive setup, we would not have pursued this option with Crucial. There are plenty of other systems out there that currently meet such "power" needs.

Without a larger snail, there simply isn't much to be gained from any cat-back type modification. At least not via current consensus or data. This has held true for even professionally/custom-tuned "Stage II"-modification level LGTs.

----

And +1 to Boostjunkie's post, too. :) No backpressure = best backpressure!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

OK well then I have been proven wrong. The fact is that maybe I was using the term "backpressure" wrong. What I wanted to say was there is a point that biger isn't always better. More piping diameter isn't always the answer.

And like you guys said above, what is the real difference we are talking about here. 8hp vs 10 hp under optimal WOT ??? who cares

I honestly don't care if it is a bit louder or if it comes out as quiet as borla. They both sound good to me. I am more in it for the unique quad tips! I think it makes the classiness of this car jump a ton.

Archived