LegacyGT.com

Guaging interest in Crucial Racing quad tip cat back exhaust (sedan) turndowns (XT)

Mblock66

Would you be interested in purchasing a Crucial Quad Tip Cat Back System?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing a Crucial Quad Tip Cat Back System?

• Yes, and I would be willing to prepay some undetermined amount to get the project moving
    • Yes, but I am not putting any money down
    • No, Already have a cat back or am just not interested

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1)Mblock66 (Matt)

2)Tsi+Wrx (Allen)

3)Wukindada (Jeff) - Ok with $, wants wagon fit, 2.75+ piping, no resonators

4)praedet (Ted) - wagon fitment (wants 0 drone)

5)Patagonian GT (Dan) - wagon fitment (wants 0 drone) + powdercoating

6)MDork - Wagon fitment (wants 0 drone)+ powdercoating

7)jagcars26(Rudy)-Wagon fitment (wants 0 drone)+powdercoating

8)oister -wagon/but ok if it is just sedan fitment (wants 0 drone)

9)gibsonsg-2.75+piping, no drone, go for sedan, on my car SOON!!

1)Mblock66 (Matt)

2)Tsi+Wrx (Allen) - EDITED TO INSURE: wants (a) relatively quiet, (b)quad tips a must, © will pay extra for powdercoating "if necessary" as a first-batch option :)

4)praedet (Ted) - wagon fitment (wants 0 drone)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hahaha WHOAH this thread moved fast!!!

Let me kind of spell out how this would work:

FIRST, before anything else at all happens, we'll make a prototype. This will get put on an LGT and we'll get all sorts of photos and videos for you guys to check out. ...then we can debate any changes but I think it's pretty clear what everyone is leaning towards... we don't need any sort of financial help to get a prototype made :p .

Then it'll be set up as a group buy. The bottom line is that I don't have the funding right now to purchase ~ 20+ or whatever catbacks all at once outright... if you can imagine, 20 x $$$ is a hell of a lot :lol:. We've been stocking up on inventory like crazy, including on multiple new products, so this much spare cash just wont exist for a while. Your "investment" would just be a pre-payment or partial pre-payment on the production version. No $$$ needed to get any sort of ball rolling on the project -- that ship has sailed :)

Again, we don't necessarily need full pre-payment or anything. Just a way to know exactly how many people want a catback and some sort of way to basically create a 'commitment' to purchasing when they arrive, but by no means will it be non-refundable in the event of some extenuating circustamce or whatever. Pre-payment isn't a problem, I would just really rather avoid taking more $$$ than necessary when the delivery date of said product is always a touch hit-or-miss... usually we should be able to get a good estimate but it seems like delays of various sorts are basically inevitable.

When the prototype is made, pricing will be determined. Since we're not doing anything weird, I'd expect it to be in line with the other options on the market. Since the situation is not the normal one of us having stock and selling from it, but rather you guys paying some amount in advance and waiting for them to be produced (which, btw, should be 3 to 6 weeks), the 'mark up' will be less than usual. We'll make sure there's a legit deal built into this for going through the trouble.

XT guys -- we did have turndowns in mind. It would allow the muffler and piping to be tucked up appropriately and fit behind the bumper, like the stock exhaust does. If you wanted the tips to come out below the bumper it would probably be easier to use long exhaust hangers (the rubber part) than to build a different exhaust with extra long metal hangers.

Wagon guys -- with smaller piping than the WRX exhaust and two mufflers, this will be even quieter. It should not drone at all. Our WRX prototype exhaust is currently on a wagon and it's totally catless, and the owner (Ed of EQ Tuning) is happy with the lack of drone on the highway. I'm sure there are probably some specific rpm points where it will resonate with the particular volume of space inside of the car but this LGT exhaust should be even less likely to do that... ...and just to be clear, there isn't different fitment or anything on the wagon, correct? The "wagon fit" guys are just speaking of drone, right?

The idea for the catback is extremely subdued, at least at idle and all types of normal cruise and normal, daily-driving-type acceleration. If it rips at full throttle I hope that's okay :cool: . Dual mufflers is going to make it quieter than the Impreza exhaust. We'll do the same packing in each of these to make it a quiet as possible. If the piping is smaller than 3", which [i'm assuming] it will be, that will also reduce the volume level and definitely the propensity to drone as well.

Dual tips on each muffler. The mufflers will be true dual exit, btw, it wont be a single exit split into two tips... that's just too Pep Boy's ;) .

In all likelyhood it will look most similar to the Stromung, except we'll be wanting to get the tips to tuck up into the bumper cutouts really nicely.

The powdercoating isn't cheap. Actually, it's kind of expensive. I don't think the LGT needs it nearly as badly as the Impreza. The exhaust is pretty well hidden under the Legacy, whereas on the Impreza a huge amount of the can and the piping is clearly visible from behind the car, and the piping sticks out like a sore thumb where it snakes next to the rear diff. I'd LOVE to have the catback for the LGT black, but I'm not sure if the cost is going to be worth it... that'll be up to you though, not me! I know it'll be a fair bit more expensive than on the WRX because there's nearly twice as much to coat, but we'll get a separate quote for the powdercoating. Since it's going to be a group buy, it'll be totally up to you whether or not you want it powdercoated... we could do one, do them all, or do any number inbetween... I'm pretty sure the cost would go down with volume.

*** So that's where we stand! *** once the prototype is made we'll post pictures and videos and we can go from there.

Jeremy

btw -- does everyone feel the need for 304 stainless for all of the piping? If the piping were 429 stainless instead, it would probably knock $40-$45 off the price of the catback considering the amount of piping in this system. It's still stainless and should never rust out in the [literal] lifetime of your car, but it's not as high of a grade as 304. No matter what, the flanges will be 304 (unless you guys actually wanted mild steel, which would also knock a surprisingly large amount off the price but I'm guessing no on the mild flanges) and the entire muffler and all internals and tip will be 304. If the exhaust is being powdercoated, btw, a mild steel flange wouldn't even be exposed to the elements ever... just food for thought ;)...

^^^ actually, those kinds of things would be really good to come to a consensus on fairly soon so the prototype accurately resembles the final version and so pricing is accurate, etc...

mild steel would not be a good thing om the wast coast..

i would want 3in from the dp back, maybe splitting off into something smaller.. (*sigh*)... I think the dual mufflers (properly packed) should be nuff to keep things drone free...

and 40-45 more ill take the higher grade SS..

Give me an idea of price and ill send you off some cash... Oh and with some luck ill pick up what we talked about earlier..

Short version: I'm in 100%. :)

Long version:

If it rips at full throttle I hope that's okay :cool: .

Totally! :icon_bigg Hell, when I'm letting Winky run free, the wifey has more to cringe about than some silly exhaust note. :lol:

Dual mufflers is going to make it quieter than the Impreza exhaust. We'll do the same packing in each of these to make it a quiet as possible. If the piping is smaller than 3", which [i'm assuming] it will be, that will also reduce the volume level and definitely the propensity to drone as well.

Sounds fine by me - no pun intended! Idle and cruise "sophistication" is what I've been seeking for the longest time.

A bit of pop-and-snort, plus our lovely Boxer note, at full-tilt is definitely to be cherished, though!

Dual tips on each muffler. The mufflers will be true dual exit, btw, it wont be a single exit split into two tips... that's just too Pep Boy's ;) .

Super sweeeeet!

In all likelyhood it will look most similar to the Stromung, except we'll be wanting to get the tips to tuck up into the bumper cutouts really nicely.

Again, super schweeeeeet!

The powdercoating isn't cheap. ... Since it's going to be a group buy, it'll be totally up to you whether or not you want it powdercoated... we could do one, do them all, or do any number inbetween... I'm pretty sure the cost would go down with volume.

I would defer my opinion to the desires of the rest of the group. If the majority wants it, and I can help defray costs by joining-in, I'll gladly do it for the benefit of all my brothers and sisters here on LGT.com! :)

btw -- does everyone feel the need for 304 stainless for all of the piping?

I would definitely prefer 304 stainless, even if powdercoated.

However, a powdercoated 429 would be an acceptable compromise for me if the majority of the group wanted to go this route. I would guess, though, that the cost of the powdercoating would well negate any potential "savings" that going this route would take it.

At $50 or so, having 304 would be a no-brainer, coated or not. :) At least for me! :)

Thanks, Jeremy!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

great input...to shed some light on the "wagon fitment" comments...the wagon bumper is 2-3" longer than the sedan so the tips need to be longer or they look dorky. the stock exhaust is too short in my opinion. id like the tips to be flush or .25" short of the rear bumper whereas now theyre back an inch or two.

everything you posted sounds great. i am stock downpipe so id need the cbe to work with stock dp.

I personally am willing to pay for 304 and powdercoating of the whole thing...

I think everyone needs to understand that this will be 3" to the Y, and then smaller after. That is how EVERY single other exhaust that is mass produced for the Legacy is (Big single pipe to 2 smaller pipes...)

1)Mblock66 (Matt)

2)Tsi+Wrx (Allen) - EDITED TO INSURE: wants (a) relatively quiet, (b)quad tips a must, © will pay extra for powdercoating "if necessary" as a first-batch option

4)praedet (Ted) - wagon fitment (wants 0 drone) + powdercoating

:spin:

I should edit for Jeremy/Matt's ease-of-reading:

1)Mblock66 (Matt)

2)Tsi+Wrx (Allen) - EDITED AGAIN: wants (a) relatively quiet, (b)quad tips a must, © will pay extra for powdercoating "if necessary" as a first-batch option, (d) prefer 304 stainless throughout

4)praedet (Ted) - wagon fitment (wants 0 drone) + powdercoating

Well the Master has spoken hahaha. I tried to get as much right as I could. I think I did a fairly good job of posting accurate infromation on this to you guys.

I think 3" to the Y pipe split to 2.5 or 2.75 would be ideal to the muffs

If it were 40-45$ then I would say go for 304SS if it were 100+ then I would be cool with going to 429SS. I like the powdercoating idea but if the piping is already 304 then I am not sure I would need it. I would like to see what the cost of it is when the prototype is done.

Flanges should always be 304SS I think

Other then that I think we are going to get in on a great product here guys. I mean how often do you on a forum get to dictate to a GREAT product maker exactly what you want in a part, and then see it come to life!!!! I think that is amazing and that Jeremy at Crucial is doing EXACTLY what vendors need to.....LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER!!!

Good stuff!

I guess I can keep posting about the group buy once the prototype and pricing is up. I will talk to Jeremy and keep posting as I hear more on this. Or he can jut post himself if he has time.

Thanks All!

Matt

I think everyone needs to understand that this will be 3" to the Y, and then smaller after. That is how EVERY single other exhaust that is mass produced for the Legacy is (Big single pipe to 2 smaller pipes...)

A 3 inch pipe split into two 2.25" pipes = same flow. Run the numbers on it and you'll see they are the same.

Other then that I think we are going to get in on a great product here guys. I mean how often do you on a forum get to dictate to a GREAT product maker exactly what you want in a part, and then see it come to life!!!! I think that is amazing and that Jeremy at Crucial is doing EXACTLY what vendors need to.....LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER!!!

+1. :)

I know I'm by far not a "big-spender" here, and that my Winky is but a very mildly upgraded LGT - however, to see this kind of support coming from a vendor in terms of listening to the feedback from the community, Crucial has definitely got my "owner loyalty dollars."

Thanks, Jeremy - and thanks to you too, Matt.

powdercoating isn't just about rust protection but about t3h stealth. Here in VA, any change to an exhaust can get you in trouble with John Law. Nice, shiny polished pipes = unwanted attention.

I currently have the EVO2 2.75" Y-pipe would def want that with this setup also.

As far as the powdercoating goes....I would prefer to have mine from the Catback;)

So make sure I am put down as wanting a full Powdercoat

Hangers need to also be 304SS

For all of you with a wagon thinking of installing a sedan fittment exhaust....you might want to rethink that one.

Not only does it look silly but if you like the paint around your exhaust cutout....don't even think about it;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Well the good thing is that you can decide later on an a la carte basis whether you want your pipes and cans powdercoated or not. That is such a cool option.

Jeremy is doing this right, taking in all the feedback, and producing a piece of equipment with some real street desires built in.

J ..... Russ would be proud!!!

+1 304SS.

Powdercoating...probably too expensive, couldn't go that route.

What's all this quiet talk? If I'm spending all that cash I want to know I've put something on the car. I'm not down with drone, but the WRX set up on the video sounded sweet and the interior noise wasn't bad at all. I fear if this thing is too quiet, I'm out. Very very sad!:icon_cry:

+1 304SS.

Powdercoating...probably too expensive, couldn't go that route.

What's all this quiet talk? If I'm spending all that cash I want to know I've put something on the car. I'm not down with drone, but the WRX set up on the video sounded sweet and the interior noise wasn't bad at all. I fear if this thing is too quiet, I'm out. Very very sad!:icon_cry:

Agreed. I had Cobb turbo back on my stage II WRX and loved the rumble and growl, as did my kids (boys), but my wife refused to drive it or even get in it and complained endlessly about it. Also, Maine now requires exhaust to be "no louder than stock" for passing inspection!

Guys I am sure it will be louder then stock and a tad bit louder then borla. Borla has the smallest pipes out there on their setup hence it is pretty subtle. If this system has larger diameter and the same basic muff design as the WRX system then it will be noticable, I promise, but yet still quiet enough to not shatter glass haha

Archived