LegacyGT.com

JL Stealthbox announced - GROUP BUY now available!!

PGT

Patagonian... in terms of CLEAN output, it will be about the same.

In terms of dirty output, the two 10W3's might have a 3dB edge.

I haven't measured the SPL in my wagon, but I'm pretty confident it will do around 133-134 dB without breaking a sweat.

133 -134 db? off a single 10? Thats pretty darn impressive.

Im about to look for a dealer for the install on my new outback wagon which ill get early next week. Getting a cleansweep, jl stealthbox, e6450, zr525 componets for the front and xr 650 coax's for the back. Figure this will be a nice clean system with my sirius receiver and stock hu. I think ill be very impressed by the sound. I have a optima battery I plan on using and im not sure if I will look for a cap to stiffen up the amp.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Patagonian... in terms of CLEAN output, it will be about the same. 133 -134 db? off a single 10? Thats pretty darn impressive.

Im about to look for a dealer for the install on my new outback wagon which ill get early next week. Getting a cleansweep, jl stealthbox, e6450, zr525 componets for the front and xr 650 coax's for the back. Figure this will be a nice clean system with my sirius receiver and stock hu. I think ill be very impressed by the sound. I have a optima battery I plan on using and im not sure if I will look for a cap to stiffen up the amp.

Sounds good, sjgerman...

A bit of advice... the woofer in the Stealthbox presents a 2 ohm load so it isn't the best match with the sub channels of the e6450 (they prefer a 4 ohm bridged load and will not be happy at 2 ohms). I would recommend the 500/5 if you want a single amp... alternatively, you could add an e1400 to drive the sub and bridge four channels of the e6450 to get more power to the front speakers (always a good thing). This is what I did in my wagon.

I do not advise placing tweeters in the factory speaker locations. The LGT works best with coaxials or low mounted tweeters... you may want to consider running a pair of XR650-CXi coaxials instead of the components up front to simplify the install and avoid cutting holes. This would help pay for the extra amp or the switch to the 500/5.

You do not need a capacitor... it will not help... don't waste your money. You also do not want to install a second battery... it will hurt your charging system's performance, add weight and installation complexity. It won't help the audio system at all. If you're thinking of replacing the stock battery with the Optima, that is a different story. Is it a red top or a yellow top Optima?

The only thing you should be spending money to make the electrical system perform is a good power connection system with a 2 AWG main power wire, a good blade fuse block up front and a solid ground in the back. Use twisted pair interconnects for best noise immunity. You should also consider throwing some of your budget into some good damping products for your front doors... this will have a major benefit in terms of sound quality.

I used an Optima red top and left my capacitor out of the system completely (no room for it on my amp rack). Absolutely no issues with respect to audio performance (though my car did struggle a bit on a recent cold start after sitting for a few days - the size red top that fits might b a bit underspec'ed as far as CCA rating).

Good to know about the amp, the 500/5 was definitely on my short list for amps, just curious on the tweeter's why is that? too bright?.

I was considering the red top optima but if there are possible starting concerns maybe ill leave stock in there. BTW, I also plan on using sound deadening material on the front doors at the least.

I used an optima battery with my 1200+ watt system and it performed beautifully. I loved it! I've had it in all my cars up to this point.

I no longer work in the auto industry so no discount on the expensive battery and I have a brand new car so no need to replace existing new parts.

Plus I don't have an audio system worthy of any aftermarket battery let alone much else. This will probably be the longest I go without modding the audio system. I'm going to stick to pure performance and save teh audio till last/later.

Love the car though! But if subaru keeps this up they'll keep JL in business a long time! :)

Good to know about the amp, the 500/5 was definitely on my short list for amps, just curious on the tweeter's why is that? too bright?.

I was considering the red top optima but if there are possible starting concerns maybe ill leave stock in there. BTW, I also plan on using sound deadening material on the front doors at the least.

High mounted tweeters result in increased pathlength differences between left and right and place the tweeters closer to highly reflective boundaries. In the LGT, the tweeters are positioned directly below the upper portion of the windshield which leads to smearing due to early reflections off the glass. Low-mounted tweeters reduce the pathlength difference AND early reflection problems, leading to more stable imaging and better spectral balance.

Add this to the fact that the stock tweeter location and door woofer location result in substantially different pathlengths to the near side listener's ears, which creates big-time phase issues at and around the crossover frequency.

Bottom line... keeping the tweeters low (as with a coaxial) will produce equal pathlengths between mid/twt, reduce the path length difference from left to right for the tweeters and give you a much more stable soundstage with much better imaging.

If you are also running a subwoofer in the system, you should reverse the polarity of the driver's side door coaxial as this will create a better soundstage... there's a long explanation somewhere.... look here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24288&highlight=%22reverse+polarity%22

Trust me. I'm trying to save you from bad audio. :icon_bigg

Red top is a better choice than yellow top as a main battery... but honestly, a good conventional battery is even better... I use an Interstate MegaTron in my car and have always had very good success with these batteries in my cars.

Good reading, So new plan is 500/5, 2 pair of xr650 coax's, 1 jl stealthbox, some good wiring and sound dampening on the front and rear doors, amp rack built into spare tire well. Wiring the drivers side reversed for the woofer or maybe both and using the ambiance feature of the 500/5 amp for the rears. 2AWG power wire and other stuff up front and good grounding in back. Gonna look into a heavier duty battery but gonna try and keep from adding too much weight to the car. Any more suggestions? :p...Guess ill be looking for a good installer for all this stuff very soon as Ill be getting my car on tuesday.

You're getting a full-on audio consultation, this is the forum at its best!

Before you switch out batteries, try your system with the stock setup. The OEM battery has worked well for me so far (about 900w system), you may not need the upgrade.

The stock battery didn't do well for me. The heat in Florida can be pretty tough on batteries and after an accidental full discharge the stock battery wouldn't come up to full voltage anymore. The Interstate MegaTrons do really well in our heat for some reason (I don't know why, I just say that from experience).

• 1 month later...

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1540

The Legacy wagon Stealthbox will ship next week. We are taking dealer orders. MSRP is $750 (remember it has a $400 woofer in it). I will consider offering a group buy with a nice discount if someone on the forum volunteers to be a coordinator for the group buy. This would need to be limited to no more than 20 purchasers (United States only). Patagonian, I nominate you. :)

We are currently working on the Impreza/WRX/STi sedan stealthbox, by the way. There are no immediate plans for an LGT sedan version... if you want to initiate a lobbying effort e-mail Don Vertrees at dvertrees@jlaudio.com. He's in charge of Stealthbox development.

SUX!

Guess I'll have to live with my crappy OEM one untill someone can convince Don Vertrees to make them for the Sedan. For the IMprezas, they are a bit late as others have been on the market with that aplication for a while.

Don't loose time on the Impreza and go into the Legacy Sedan as no-one has that to offer(that I know off)

I will start writing daily to Don and hope I'm not alone!

I hear they are finally working on a WRX/STi fitment, so I wouldn't hold your breath on the LGT sedan one (though it's certainly worth trying). Most sedan owners go with a traditional enclosure since it works best, so StealthBox's are not a 'sure bet' when it comes to a business model.

Archived