LegacyGT.com

Trading the LGT in on Tuesday

I'll call BS on that. My family has owned many S class Mercedes and they were quality cars with tons of features. For a 30K car Subaru can't even put steering wheel controls, bluetooth, auto roll up windows and roll downs autos in the back, digital radio that comes standard on every 10K dollar Chrysler, Satellite radio, memory seating. There are so many features that are standard on cheaper cars than the Legacy yet Subaru neglected to add them into the Legacy. I think someone is worried more about spending extra to make a quality car rather than saving money on small things.

Yeah, theres a few things, for a new model introduced as an '05, that should have been done, as they were becoming generally available on the competition. Specifically some of the things that you mention, like windows, wheel controls, satellite radio, nav option, and most importantly ( for me) would be fold-down seats for the sedan.

That's why it doesn't bother me that the mags don't pick it very high in tests. If Subaru wanted to be the top dog in the LGT's market, they needed to offer more value, not be a "me too" car without the "extras". The power sold me, but not everyone rates power as highly.

Ron

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be a complete change for Subaru. I've owned a ton and my family's owned a ton and none of them have ever had the gadgets and stuff that the competition has. That's not why I buy them, personally, but if Suabru does want be classified as a premium brand (chuckle, chuckle) they need to change there philosophy. I just hope that doesn't make them sacrifice performance - the reason I buy them.

I mean I get into a Ford focus or a saturn of some sort and even they will have auto roll up windows, rear folding seats and digital radios. Even though we got the front loading 6 disk cd changer it is still a cheap unit. Look at the mazda 3, they have a digital one that displays the name of the song playing, the radio station and the band. I would hope the LGT is in a higher class than a Mazda 3 or Ford focus, etc. I look at a car with a very similar price tag like Acura TL and notice many features that the Legacy should've had. Okay bluetooth might be expensive and not necessary but some minor old things just bother me. Things that came in 80s cars like telescoping/tilt steering wheel, memory seating on that 8 way driver's seat, auto roll up window for atleast the driver if not all 4 windows. This is the age of innovation and I know Subaru could've done just a tad bit better for a thirty thousand dollar vehicle.

first of all anyone who would pay the asking price for an S class is crazy in my book. i heard they made it better for 2006, but the 2001 and 2002 models we had were not worth what my father paid for them. but thats just my opinion. if you see value in mercedes than more power to you. as for the legacy compared to other cars in its class, i agree to a certian extent that subaru couldve done a better job importing more options for us to choose from, especially in the audio department. i don't know how much of a money difference seperates car classess, but the TL is a tad more expensive minimally equipped (at least 5-6k) than the LGT. that extra six thousand would push me away from looking at the TL. i read one users feelings on the mazda 6 (sports eiditon i don't know the moniker) and said that the interior was a joke and whatnot. but again, all preference i suppose.

our LGT may be lacking in a few things, but i have seldom had the pleasure of driving such a solid car. i would take it over the S classes i drove any day.

I mean I get into a Ford focus or a saturn of some sort and even they will have auto roll up windows, rear folding seats and digital radios. Even though we got the front loading 6 disk cd changer it is still a cheap unit. Look at the mazda 3, they have a digital one that displays the name of the song playing, the radio station and the band. I would hope the LGT is in a higher class than a Mazda 3 or Ford focus, etc. I look at a car with a very similar price tag like Acura TL and notice many features that the Legacy should've had. Okay bluetooth might be expensive and not necessary but some minor old things just bother me. Things that came in 80s cars like telescoping/tilt steering wheel, memory seating on that 8 way driver's seat, auto roll up window for atleast the driver if not all 4 windows. This is the age of innovation and I know Subaru could've done just a tad bit better for a thirty thousand dollar vehicle.

+1

Plus, I forgot about the other thing about the LGT that annoys me....and this is stuff that cheaper cars have.

Not enough interior lighting.

On the LTD wagon, only having the dome light behind the moonroof (really over the rear passenger seat) is useless!! Where's the glovebox light, or lights down by the front footwellls? Anyone else ever drop something on the floor at night, then try to find it in the dark? Another $1 worth of parts wouldn't kill them!!

Ron

ferraris didnt have radios until 97' does that make them cheap? and they were made by sony...

subaru uses mitsubishi stuff (belts.. turbos(wrxs)) i hope that doesnt make em mitsubishis....

and look at the e-class's dash.... it looks like the tribecas sweeping design.. i know the mercedes came out first.

Ferrari himself said reason why he had no radio was because the sound of the engine was music enough. Ferrari also might want the extra weight reduction for optimal performance. Obviously Subarus concern was not weight reduction when they put together the legacy otherwise we would not have power seats, spares, etc. This is a big reason as to why Chevy hasn't put an automatic convertable top on their Corvettes.

someone mentioned the no fold down seat issue.

My salesperson said that Subaru did tests, and in a collision having folding seats is more unsafe compared to fixed ones.. Therefore he sold this as a safety issue... I never saw any proof of this. If it wasnt a safety issue, than there is no reason why it shouldnt have fold down seats.

That's BS.

Double BS when it comes from the mouth of a car salesman. Ask him for proof of those "tests". What's that, the 100 mph rear-end-collision test?

Then why do the wagons have folding seats?? Damn....they sold me a deathtrap!! :lol:

One of my previous cars with fold-down rear seats had a strong frame that the seatbacks latched in to. IMHO, that frame was stronger than the usual seatback used in most sedans. Fold-down seats do add weight due to the need for that frame.

Ron

Structurally, wagons are weaker in the rear. Having the additional cross-bracing in the rear window-rear seat area makes all sedans stronger than their wagon equivalents.

Finding a car salesman who has a clue is a fruitless venture. I believe that most of them were selling shoes last week!! :lol:

Ron

I needed something bigger and the list of flaws kept me from trading on a wagon. I don't feel like getting into the whole story about it either. I've complained enough.

I pick up a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a Hemi on Tuesday. I leased this time which is smarter for me in the long run. (company car, I lease it from my company for personal use, company pays for gas, maintenance ect, I just pay for mileage :icon_tong )

Now maybe I can talk the wife into that boat I want :icon_bigg

regardless of it's flaws the LGT is one incredible car and I would still tell people to look at it when looking for a car. It has a lot of bang for the buck.

saw a new Jeep Grand Cherokee today actually driving next to a new b9. wow, the b9 actually looks pretty good from the back. i'm not too impressed with the way the cherokee looks (boxy and very plain) but that's my opinion.

hope you like your new vehicle and that the cherokee is better than the unrefined previous models of the past.

It's funny, 2 salesman at the Subaru/Jeep dealer both said the reason the Subaru sedan's had no fold down rear seat was a safety issue.

So far the Jeep is great. The Hemi ROCKS! and sucks gas......which I knew before I bought it. My company pays for the gas anyway....... The bluetooth phone interface is incredible. I was talking to my wife on it and then I got my son talking to her from the back seat and she was like WTF???

The initial quality of it is great, I have no complaints.

The dealer however needs to learn how to clean a car, the windows are streaked as was my LGT when I picked it up. I can do a better detail job than they can.

I'm still waiting for some snow......

here's a few pics.

http://www.myfirehawk.net/carpics/jeep.jpg

http://www.myfirehawk.net/carpics/jeep2.jpg

Congrats on your purchase man...

What's the mileage you are getting? We used to have a 00 JGC Limited with the 4.7L V8 and it was averaging 12.5 mpg city/highway driving.... Maybe our feet are so heavy but let us know the mpg average...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Congrats on your purchase man...

What's the mileage you are getting? We used to have a 00 JGC Limited with the 4.7L V8 and it was averaging 12.5 mpg city/highway driving.... Maybe our feet are so heavy but let us know the mpg average...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

for the past 100 miles which has been almost all in town it's 11.4 :icon_surp. I tend to drive with a lead foot.

Archived