LegacyGT.com

Trading the LGT in on Tuesday

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF did I start here?

I have a 27 month lease, I'll never hit 50K miles on it. I have many friends with Jeeps and have very few problems but as we all know every car has problems, none are perfect.

Yep, Toyota is the king of recalls! It's all about perception and Toyota sells plenty of that.

I don't like the Tribeca, drove one and did not care for it at all, lots of noise from the back of it as well as other things. It's just not me.

I've driven a lot of SUV's trying to find one I liked and the Jeep was it. Lot's of creature comforts to boot.

I'm not waiting for the SRT8, I have no need for that kind of power, I'm happy with the Hemi. I spent 4 days in my dads 05 Jeep and loved it. It's quirky and most cars are. My only complaint was his needed more power, hence the Hemi in mine.

I like very few American vehicles but I tend to buy what I like at the time.

I have 27 months to decide what my next vehicle will be.

it would be refreshing to see people lose thier attitudes for a change on this site, but alas I know that won't happen.

I haven't been to "Motor City" yet to check those out. I've always been a fan of the JGC though.

Has the interior opened up any? I know the JGC has always had more room than the just the Cherokee.... but a little more room & maybe a telescoping steering wheel could help?

Yep.... now I'm in the mood to hit up Motor City!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

+1, though there do seem to be alot of engineer types etc.

Outliers outliers!! :lol:

I'm one of those :) ... I happen to be well versed in the science of data analysis. The problem is, I have yet to see anyone provide actual numbers on the subject... only 'reports' as issued by CR, JD Power, and other third parties. If anyone has any actual data, please post it up...

It seems odd, but the perception of quality seems to be more important than quality itself anymore. People think that since Subaru has had a reasonably good record over the last few years, that the '05 LGT must be perfect and anyone who states that they've had problems with theirs must be imagining it.

IMO, Subaru has a long way to go before they're in the same class as Toyota and Honda for making a high-quality automobile.

To the original poster, good luck with your new ride..

I am about 99% sure that our next vehicle will be an Asian produst. Being 52 I have never purchased anything other than a domestic product and I would have no problem continuing to do so. With the exception of one GM product in the early eighties I have been very pleased with the quality of the domestics I have owned. The main reason for switching this time has to do with the domestics refusal to even offer a manual tranny in its mid size sedans.

A big part of the troubles that Ford GM and Chrysler to a lesser degree is that they do not design or produce cars for the world market like the Asians or the Germans do. Over the last 10 or 15 years they have put the bulk of their R+D into trucks and SUV's while the Asians have jumped way ahead in the car market. Both GM and Ford offer way better products in Europe and Australia for instance than they do here. Its like they dumb them down to sell them here, which may have worked 20 years ago but not anymore. Just my .02.

I'm one of those :) ... I happen to be well versed in the science of data analysis. The problem is, I have yet to see anyone provide actual numbers on the subject... only 'reports' as issued by CR, JD Power, and other third parties. If anyone has any actual data, please post it up...

I would very much like to see CRs raw data. JD power can go puff smoke up someone else's ass, their results always seem to contradict the real world or they provide ratings on first year reliability which are all but meaningless except for noting what the worst cars are.

It seems odd, but the perception of quality seems to be more important than quality itself anymore. People think that since Subaru has had a reasonably good record over the last few years, that the '05 LGT must be perfect and anyone who states that they've had problems with theirs must be imagining it.

I agree there is confusion on quality vs reliability. Subarus tend to be very reliable but I wouldn't say they have the same quality as a Honda or Toyota. Even their reliability isn't the same, but I've got to say of all the other makes they might generally be one of the closest.

IMO, Subaru has a long way to go before they're in the same class as Toyota and Honda for making a high-quality automobile.

Yep, they're not there for quality. But I think it is still important to distinguish quality from reliability. Fussing about squeaky trim or bad paint is one thing and a Pontiac might not have those problems but in the long run if both are properly cared for everything I've seen shows that the Subaru will last longer (And Honda and Toyota are still a bit better than that).

I have owned american cars since my days as a teen. Everyone of the american cars i've owned had some form of major problem. When I bought my first japanese car (corolla s 03) it was great. When i bought the legacy, it was awesome. Japanese cars have overall better resale and reliabilty. I friend of mine that owns a car repair shop always tells me that he loves suabrus because they're one of the most reliable cars.

as far as the b9, it's in a league of its own. you can get a cookie cutter suv (ford explorer, gmc envoy) but a b9 is different and more refined.

I would say Daimler Chrysler has some good cars in their line up and I would not mind owning a Chrysler product at a cheaper cost. As a car dealer I find amazing products from Chrysler at the best price with all the goodies. My fiancee has a Chrysler Crossfire, she loves it. It is built and engineered in Germany. I showed her a Chrysler Pacifica with navigation, AWD, leather, rear and front seat warmers, button that opens up rear hatch, dvd player and other goodies all for under 30K slightly used. I find it comfortable and appealing.

I have found that the Jeep Grand Cherokee seats are the most comfortable out of most other trucks in its class. I would not own many american cars but I think I wouldn't mind a Chrysler product. The 300C, the Dodge Charger and Magnum all can be found at a good price and can withstand a beating.

Not all American cars are crap. I have a 93 Grand Marquis that's never needed anything beyond a transmission fluid flush/fill. Even in its old age t runs 10.1 @ 72 in the 1/8th too -- plenty faster than lots of the ricers.

The 300C is a good car. I wish they'd make the dash nicer and make it available with the AWD they promised shortly after its release. The v6 Charger I rented was nice enough that I'd consider a Hemi version if I didn't already have a LGT.

Anyway, for Sneezy, did you drive the 06 Explorer? The 3 valve v8 makes a huge difference in power (292hp, 300tq) and it's got a 6spd automatic to boot. I'm sure it's every bit as quick as the revered Hemi and the magazines say it's among the quietest interiors they've ever tested.

You could also convince me to get a Trailblazer SS (400hp, AWD optional). The SS package can be added to any level Trailblazer so you can order a stripper or one fully loaded. It begs to be turboed to ~ 600hp 'cause with AWD you can use it all.

Good Luck with the Jeep...I had a rental 3.7L V6 Cherokee for a few days and was, actually, quite impressed. The steering, road feel and handling is light years ahead when compared to the older Cherokee models and even the Liberty...

Well, to put it kindly, that's a pretty broad statement.

the LGT isn't better than the offerings of some US mfrs.

Name one....

Thats what we thought.

You know, Being a fanboy is one thing, Fanboying US cars though.. thanks, I needed a healthy laugh this morning.

I would say Daimler Chrysler has some good cars in their line up and I would not mind owning a Chrysler product at a cheaper cost. As a car dealer I find amazing products from Chrysler at the best price with all the goodies. My fiancee has a Chrysler Crossfire, she loves it. It is built and engineered in Germany. I showed her a Chrysler Pacifica with navigation, AWD, leather, rear and front seat warmers, button that opens up rear hatch, dvd player and other goodies all for under 30K slightly used. I find it comfortable and appealing.

I have found that the Jeep Grand Cherokee seats are the most comfortable out of most other trucks in its class. I would not own many american cars but I think I wouldn't mind a Chrysler product. The 300C, the Dodge Charger and Magnum all can be found at a good price and can withstand a beating.

I agree...I could see myself buying a Chrysler product sometime in the future...I never thought I would say those words :icon_surp

Look under the hood of the Crossfire...just about everything is stamped with "Mercedes Benz"...right down to the fan belts. So, basically, you're getting a Mercedes E-Class for A LOT less money...not a bad deal.

the crossfire is no E class.. more like a c class. I think its funny how some salesman will try to pass off a chrysler as a suedo mercedes. "this is a mercedes" all of that. dont get me wrong Chrysler makes a really nice looking product on the outside but please dont tell me that their interriors are nice. there almost as bad as ALL gm cars. We had a fully loaded Pacifica on our lot a few months ago with 1400 miles on it. we were having a lot of little mechanical problems with it. so we just sent it back to chrysler. our used car lot is a high line lot. we have e500s cl55's porsches' bmw's lexus infiniti so on and so on... we also have a few used chryslers. personally i have never liked the mercedes. i was driving the cl66 last nite and thought to myself geez this car was 115k new or 125k new and now its selling for 50k and is only a couple years old. mercedes has never been the same since the whole chrysler thing.

I agree...I could see myself buying a Chrysler product sometime in the future...I never thought I would say those words :icon_surp

Look under the hood of the Crossfire...just about everything is stamped with "Mercedes Benz"...right down to the fan belts. So, basically, you're getting a Mercedes E-Class for A LOT less money...not a bad deal.

Actually, the crossfire is essentially the previous generation SLK (2004 down)...

If you wan't German hand-me-downs, I have a slightly used pair of liederhosen for you... :icon_tong

I'll never own another Chrysler product, even if it's a rebadged Mercedes.

Thank one Lemon '94 Dakota for that Chrysler, and GM and Ford can also thank Chrysler for being the 'Last straw' that turned me from Domestics for ever. Then again, raised in a GM family I've been subjected to their litany of failure since the early 80's. Ford is the only Domestic I'll stand behind anymore, and they get that nod simply because my '97 F-150 despite it's age and wear still starts, still drives, and doesn't give me any grief aside from its 130k And previous life as a trailer puller. But I'm not rushing out to buy another Ford mind you.

Domestic Automakers are what domestic automakers are.. suppliers to 'the rest of the world of car buyers' The "every man" vehicle choice.

The Big 3 used to serve the enthusiest market, but all they saw was Toyota demolishing their sales with mundane cars for the masses, so they had to follow suit. And follow they did with unimaginitive, uninspired design and performance. The latest 'retro' craze should clue in any autophile as to why their market share is taking a thrashing- It's desparation time for the Big three- Chrysler too I agree is the closest to having their crap together, but as was pointed out a while back on this very forum, Chryslers quality goes up- while Mercedes's goes down, so at best they are breaking even, not gaining anything. Another 'bright' desicion by a Big 3. Also- Equiping every car in your line up with a Hemi isn't unique, and is like trying to plug a breached New-Orleans dyke with a paper towel.

Yawn..

the crossfire is no E class.. more like a c class. I think its funny how some salesman will try to pass off a chrysler as a suedo mercedes. "this is a mercedes" all of that. dont get me wrong Chrysler makes a really nice looking product on the outside but please dont tell me that their interriors are nice. there almost as bad as ALL gm cars. We had a fully loaded Pacifica on our lot a few months ago with 1400 miles on it. we were having a lot of little mechanical problems with it. so we just sent it back to chrysler. our used car lot is a high line lot. we have e500s cl55's porsches' bmw's lexus infiniti so on and so on... we also have a few used chryslers. personally i have never liked the mercedes. i was driving the cl66 last nite and thought to myself geez this car was 115k new or 125k new and now its selling for 50k and is only a couple years old. mercedes has never been the same since the whole chrysler thing.

Believe me...I only believe about .0001% of what a Car Salesman says...like when I test drove a Legacy GT and he proceeded to tell me that it handled better than a Porsche. I asked him, "What Porsche? Boxster, 996, 997?" He said, "I don't know...I guess they did some test and the Legacy handled better." Well, I've driven a 996 and a Boxster...and as much as I like my Legacy, it's not in the same league...

...and, true, the Crossfire is no E-Class. I'm not a huge Mercedes fan...but my father had a 2004 E500 and it was a very nice car...but the Crossfire does use a lot of parts from Mercedes and it does ride on the chasis of the last generation SLK roadster...which was the current generation until 2005...I would think the Crossfire will be updated accordingly and be riding on the current generation chasis and share the same engines as in the past....and from what I've read, the new SLK is a big improvement inside and out.

I never said the Crossfire is on a E-Class chassy. Maybe the 300 is but defenatly not the crossfire unless they cut that thing in half. Actually I've driven many mercedes as my father owned an all mercedes limo company a few years ago. The feel, all the buttons, etc. inside the crossfire is straight from the old slk roadsters. Infact every crossfire made is made at the same plant in germany and then imported into the US for sale. But that is just one car in their lineup.

I have to agree that Daimler Chrysler as a company demolished Mercedes and improved Chrysler quality and engineering. I'd much rather take a BMW than a benz today.

I still can't stand a Ford though. Their inside rattles more than a Legacy. All the plastic they use falls apart after a couple years. Transmissions become unreliable when approaching 100K miles. The only ford I would take is a Jaguar, Land Rover or Aston Martin.

I still can't stand a Ford though. Their inside rattles more than a Legacy. All the plastic they use falls apart after a couple years. Transmissions become unreliable when approaching 100K miles. The only ford I would take is a Jaguar, Land Rover or Aston Martin.

I'll make no bones about it, I do own an F-150, and the dash sounds like the shuttle is taking off from my box untill I hit about 70mph. The U-joints are in need of replacement, but my Engine and tranny are both very strong still at 130k and with it's previous life as a hauler. (it's got the 3600lb trailering package or some-such)

Wife and I are trying unsucessfully to get rid of it.. Anyone want an F-150 X-cab 3 door 4x4 with trailering package? $6,000 and she's yours ;)

Archived