LegacyGT.com

Why do you all keep your old Legacy around?

I sold my 08 LGT 5MT the third 4th gen Legacy and second GT! I bought a 2023 WRX to replace it. The modern touches are insane and it’s not really that advanced lol. 

I still wanted a manual but to rebuild my EJ255 the right way (the way I wanted which was 100% OEM) was going to cost me about $12k, wasn’t worth it. 

I miss all my Legacy’s however. 

IMG_0336.jpeg

Edited by GEE-OTTO
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Max Capacity said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, I have sold both my 4th Gen's. The wagon served me will for some 18 years, but at 306,000 miles, I was done putting money into it. My 09 Spec B had 101,000 miles, but it was getting on in age, as I am, 69y/o, I wasn't looking forward to driving the Spec to VT every week for skiing. I told over her 18' Outback 3.6r.

The Outback is a great driving car with all its safety features. Makes the drive very comfortable. 

Guess I'm getting old... ;) OH, BTW, I'm sitting in the ski house now, after skiing the past two days, one more day to go this week.

I saw your Spec.B listed for $17k 🤩 by the person that bought it from you. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I’m a big fan of the new VB WRX, and they would be on my very short list for an immediate replacement vehicle if something tragic happened to my wagon.

Man, to each their own but I think it might be the ugliest car I've ever seen since the Aztek was released. I know the running gag is that the newest style of WRX is ugly, but I've never felt so strongly about a car's looks than the new WRX.

Granted, I haven't driven one. I've heard the OEM tuning on them is greatly improved over the FA20dit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, GEE-OTTO said:

I saw your Spec.B listed for $17k 🤩 by the person that bought it from you. 

Thanks for noticing, I have been in contact with them, giving them info on the car. I even got an email from someone that works at the Subaru factory where the car was built, back on June 6 2008.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm in the same boat with my wagon and after 13 years of ownership, it's just not worth selling to me.  As long as I have some place to keep it and continue to pay the $650 a year for insurance, I plan on keeping it.  I have no plans on any rebuilds though.  If the motor goes or the car has body damage, I'll probably let it go.     

Having owned and driven cars from both ends of the spectrum throughout my wagon ownership I have found that there's not much out there that interests me. If it was totaled tomorrow I'd probably just search for another one. I am fortunate enough to be 30 years old with no kids, mortgage or debt and enough play money to do what I want with the car. I just added a backup camera, a car tablet, and am wiring for a new sound system. The carpet has been ripped out so I can put in sound deadening to quiet it down. I've got all the creature comforts I care for and none that I have no interest in. I like to drive my car, I don't want it to drive for me.

Next I'd like to get the front seats reupholstered so I can go on trips without my ass being on fire.

I also daily drive a Nissan NV1500 that is fully paid for by my company so I don't have to live with my personal cars daily. It goes to the grocery store and on weekend trips. Maybe that is part of why I have this perspective. I do 95% of my own repairs so if it's down for the count I don't have to worry about getting to work.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alex0856 said:

Having owned and driven cars from both ends of the spectrum throughout my wagon ownership I have found that there's not much out there that interests me. If it was totaled tomorrow I'd probably just search for another one. I am fortunate enough to be 30 years old with no kids, mortgage or debt and enough play money to do what I want with the car. I just added a backup camera, a car tablet, and am wiring for a new sound system. The carpet has been ripped out so I can put in sound deadening to quiet it down. I've got all the creature comforts I care for and none that I have no interest in. I like to drive my car, I don't want it to drive for me.

Next I'd like to get the front seats reupholstered so I can go on trips without my ass being on fire.

I also daily drive a Nissan NV1500 that is fully paid for by my company so I don't have to live with my personal cars daily. It goes to the grocery store and on weekend trips. Maybe that is part of why I have this perspective. I do 95% of my own repairs so if it's down for the count I don't have to worry about getting to work.

I agree.  Not ever needing to commute or daily my LGT has increased its life span with me.  If I needed to drive this car every day, it may have been replaced a long time ago.  

12 hours ago, Holla said:

I agree.  Not ever needing to commute or daily my LGT has increased its life span with me.  If I needed to drive this car every day, it may have been replaced a long time ago.  

When I did commute in it I found it mildly stressful because I didn't fully trust the car like I did with my Ford Explorer, Fusion or Impreza. Those were simple, unmodified, and not sensitive. They were also noticeably more refined as a daily driver. My Legacy is prone to tantrums even when it's in tip top shape and isn't the most comfortable vehicle. While I appreciate that it talks to me it also makes me paranoid over the slightest inconsistency.

I did put 25k on it in 2016 including 2 round trips from Vancouver to SoCal with zero issues so 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think if I had to go back to commuting in my own vehicle I'd end up purchasing a 2nd vehicle again.

• Like 1

Driving home a couple days ago and maybe 5 minutes after my fuel light comes on the car chugs noticably and pulls a crazy amount of timing at around 1500-2000 RPM, likely just from whatever physics did to the remaining fuel in the tank. Scared me silly for a second. I can see wanting a different car to commute in, especially in their age.

Reason for me is simple... really loved the Subaru WRX rally car and always wanted a Subi... Went to view a Legacy GT and bought it 200k on clock... drove it for a bit then found out it was a Spec B... got a family now so the feature of the car are still great. Can buy a car with these feature, specs and pleasure for the price I got the car... parts are the same when compared to the newer cars I have owned. Had a Toyota 86 2014 which left a lot to be desired as one would have expected more out of it and to top it of you can't compare it to the Legacy not by price, performance or pleasure... It's just a pleasure to own, pleasure to cruise and pleasure to fly. Engine replacement if it ever happens... could probably buy a hatch back WRX 2009 model this side but would probably just fix the Legacy...

I can't explain what the car does to an owner but I think the guys and girls holding onto them understand where I'm coming from... it's just a car but it's the car...

• Like 1

One other vehicle I’ve been eyeballing is the Ford Maverick. I’ve read the 2.0 ecoboost tunes very well and with some mods can be a fun daily driver. I think they look great too esp with sportier wheels and slightly lowered.

A manual trans is a must for me for a non-daily driver, which I’m very grateful my wagon is for me also.

I’ll say this the stock sound system in my 08 and 09 LGTs were way better than my 23 WRX. Even with the HK upgrade the under-seat sub hit harder.

Daily driving was never an issue if anything the only real downside was 93OCT but in my 2.5i gas was an afterthought. 

In stock form they aren’t bad cars but over 6 years I paid Mach V $12k for routine maintenance and repairs to wear items. 

I could have maintained a used Panamera for the same cost and both cars would still be worth about the same 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

First post in years.  My '08 purchased new in 2007 is almost 18 yrs old now.  180K.  Returned to stock about 6 yrs ago.  I'd sell her if I could get excited about something new.  Right now, I can't really.  I would have bought a second STI, but Subaru made that decision for me.  The Solterra is a joke with its first gen charging technology and pathetic range for $44k.  Sadly, everything Subaru offers now is underpowered for my taste.  So, I'm holding out for something, but what is still the question.  Still a great brand, but I need some additional stock power levels.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 08LGT pulled much harder than my 23 WRX and was more luxurious (power seats leather, and a rear seat pass through) 

I thought hard about a Touring trim OB but I love the look of the Wilderness. The WRX is the most exciting one but overall Fun to drive Subarus are sparse in the year 2024

• Like 2

The new WRX is cool, but my 04 STI would be the ONLY car I would go back to. To each his own, but I need to move up in car. So R35 would be my next choice. i also do not DD my LGT so It only has 145K with fresh build and tune. I have to keep this till the kids are about out of high school and wife out of nursing school. I also only pay cash. So it will be a while.

I hope you tune that baby, Go check out Heavy metal Rex on youtube. he is close to me and has a VA that is tuned and it crazy quick.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 7:54 AM, shadowsports said:

First post in years.  My '08 purchased new in 2007 is almost 18 yrs old now.  180K.  Returned to stock about 6 yrs ago.  I'd sell her if I could get excited about something new.  Right now, I can't really.  I would have bought a second STI, but Subaru made that decision for me.  The Solterra is a joke with its first gen charging technology and pathetic range for $44k.  Sadly, everything Subaru offers now is underpowered for my taste.  So, I'm holding out for something, but what is still the question.  Still a great brand, but I need some additional stock power levels.     

I work for a Porsche/Audi dealer. A lot of old Subaru owners moved on to Audi. The 2.0T A4 with the S-line package is pretty quick, especially with the dual clutch. Not that they're cheap, but hey, lots of Subaru people are engineers with money. 

Edited by Pleides

1 hour ago, Pleides said:

I work for a Porsche/Audi dealer. A lot of old Subaru owners moved on to Audi. The 2.0T A4 with the S-line package is pretty quick, especially with the dual clutch. Not that they're cheap, but hey, lots of Subaru people are engineers with money. 

I tell my wife the same thing. I drive Subaru's because I cannot afford an Audi or Porsche. I see the Cayman as BRZ without compromise (flat motor, RWD, pure sports car) and the most Audi sedans (with quattro) are seemingly fancy WRX/LGTs. I could totally see previous Subaru owners who have a little more money (or maybe less kids in the house) "upgrading" to an Audi or Porsche. 

I’m currently caught in a dilemma. Now that I have the Sti back it’s glaring how dated the car is. When I got it a stage 2 Sti was considered a fast car on the streets but by today’s standards is pretty average. I’m considering a build path that’s going to net some good numbers but at the cost of big $$$ but at the end of the day still won’t be considered fast by today’s standards. Part of me just wants to refresh it back to stock and buy a corvette or something. 

• Like 1

When I sold the race wagon and then boxkita's wagon a couple months apart and then got a 2023 gr86, I was worried I'd miss the power and handling. Turns out that wasn't the problem. trunk space was. Sleeping in a wagon is cake, not so much a sports car.

When the buyer came for boxkita's wagon, they wanted a test drive. I hadn't driven the wagon in 2 years at that point. I knew if I drove it, i'd keep it. The last rebuild really made a difference in the car. I offered to drive him back to the airport or we could do the deal. I felt little bad, but no way I was driving it anywhere.

it's nearly 2 years later. I still have a lgt sedan and obxt wagon and a somewhat built engine. the sedan body suffered in the shop. the obxt is the very definition of rough. As much as I'd like to have another wagon built, with an 08 sti rear subframe welded in (f'kn lgt trailing arm suspension), its just not in the cards. Maybe if I started playing the lottery...

Audi? A few years ago, I made a childhood bucket list item happen...went to mechanics school, graduated and got a job a mercedes dealer as a minimum wage tech (I'm glad I stayed in school and got a job in tech...Mechanics work hard).  the dealership's owner also had an Audi dealership next door. One day I was fetching my next car and drove past the Audi showroom. Beautiful dark purple RS6 wagon sitting there. drool. So I ambled over to look at it. Salesman walked up and first words were "you can't afford that". Sure I can we get a dealership discount. A little back & forth before we got to the important part. How do I order it with 6mt? Do I need to get Euro delivery? Eventually the sales manager gets involved. No 6mt. Not possible. I was bummed. moving on. Subie drivers may move onto to Audi but I can't believe sti owners become Audi owners today.  If the Porsche dealership wasn't complete d*kheads, I'd have bought a Cayman S.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I said id never ever own an Audi till I saw the rs6 wagon in person. I could definitely see myself in something like that, enough that I even brought it up to my wife! But not having a 6speed is also a deal breaker for me.

D*ckheads was my experience with both Porsche and Mercedes. I at one point had it in my head that I needed a viper and went and test drove a privately owned 96. After being far less impressed than I was expecting to be and since I was in Colorado I decided to swing by the Porsche dealership since that was at the time on my bucket list. I pulled up in my gas getting mercury mistake and they treated me like a piece of trash that drifted into their parking lot. About 10min of realizing it wasn’t going to get better I decided to take the cash I had in my pocket that I was going to use on that viper right back home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Okay. I had to look. That is a pretty wagon, yup.

But, given the choice between being able to pay off a mortgage or have a shiney new car, Ima stick with my old junk, hah!

I bet that 4.0L T hauls some serious ass tho. 0-100km/h in 3.8 seconds? Yow.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Okay. I had to look. That is a pretty wagon, yup.

But, given the choice between being able to pay off a mortgage or have a shiney new car, Ima stick with my old junk, hah!

I bet that 4.0L T hauls some serious ass tho. 0-100km/h in 3.8 seconds? Yow.

Pay off that mortgage! I’m about 2-3yrs away then I’ll buy something cool. My current list of cars are the Sti, my outback and my wife’s 09 Malibu. The outback and the Malibu together have over 450,000 miles. Once the house is payed off my wife will get something nice then it will be my turn

Bc bc. My wagon is my dream is my life. Jk. Everyone has said it all already. Those that get it, do. Last wash it occurred to me that I may have a handful of people that understand what my wagon means to me. I’m half on the fence about long term. Then I park after the wash and get a compliment. Makes it worth it. 

I also happened upon a minty, zero mile ‘17 RS6 wagon. Seems smaller in person.  

IMG_0002.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4