LegacyGT.com

Why do you all keep your old Legacy around?

Money green ftw!! Careful, this will turn into a HW thread in a jif. I do have a sick ‘84 Quattro hatch but my son played me like a fiddle to get it off the shelf after Christmas. Somewhere getting battle damage rn. ‘S why dad can’t have nice things. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I don’t understand why any sane person would go from Japanese to German engineering. Seems like a massive headache unless it was truly worthwhile, aka a Porsche. 

Haha! I know a couple of Porsche owners who might back you up in the ‘not truly worthwhile’ argument.

I mean, it’s kind of like the turbo Subaru thing; how they are awesome when they work….. except when they don’t they cost 4x as much to fix..

And the interval between stuff breaking and costing money seems shockingly small.

• Like 1

Most of the modding on a Subaru can be done with a basic wrench set. Buying specialty tools seems like adding insult to injury. I think my buddy had to remove his BMW motor to fix a coolant leak or something. Audi and VW seem excessively complicated too.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:57 PM, BoozeRS05 said:

I don’t understand why any sane person would go from Japanese to German engineering. Seems like a massive headache unless it was truly worthwhile, aka a Porsche. 

Not all Japanese cars are Toyota Camrys that will go 400k miles with nothing but oil changes and not all German cars are V10 BMW M5s that habitually eat rod bearings.

Mrs. Haze DDs a 2010 Audi A6 3.0T that now has around 110k miles on it. It has proven more reliable than my beloved pair of BPs, gets better fuel economy and rides better. I still don't particularly like driving it but, kept out of reach of an Audi dealer service department, the running costs on it are completely reasonable.

My kid has had a similar experience with a Benz E430. 

Both cars purchased with low miles for short money, I assume because everyone is convinced they would be financially ruined by them.

Edited by Haze
  • Like 1

I’ve done work on BMWs without complaint, but to be fair I’ve never wrenched on an Audi or VW.

I just look at Subaru’s as big kid Legos. Everything seems obvious and simple, and it’s all been roughly the same for decades. When tribeca parts fit an outback, and STi parts fit the legacy and foresters, etc, it all seems so wonderful to me.

• Like 1

Ha, my wife calls my OBXT my "Lego" toy - I've spent hours and hours in the garage replacing most of the suspension, doing a 6MT swap and engine build with turbo upgrade.  My "other" car (not counting what she drives and a pickup truck, because you have to have a pickup truck if you live in Alabama, it's a law or something) is a B7 Audi S4, which I have also had the engine out of (to renew the timing chain guides that are that model's Achilles heel) in my garage.  I paid about 3x for the Audi what I paid for the Subaru, but wrenched plenty on both, and aside from the packaging difference that comes from cramming a V8 into a 4-cylinder car, effort-wise they are about the same to work on, including similar minimal needs for special tools for what I have done, mainly in the timing-setting area for both cars. New Audi parts are more expensive than new Subaru parts, but are similarly available online and I don't want to take either to the dealership to pay their prices.  With 30k now on the reinstalled Audi engine, I guess you'd call it my DD, and it is a tighter and smoother driving experience in a much more luxurious cabin.  I also have had occasion to scoff at the German "more is more" engineering approach, but my experience is that once you start breaking out the wrenches for either one of what I have, they require comparable effort and yield comparable results.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dammmmnnn, Gunnar's wagon is the cream of the crop... What a sad time it'll be when that goes.

Shall we play The Price is Right on guessing how much he'll want for it? I'm guessing 18K.

Edited by Pleides
  • Like 1

What do people think it’s worth? I had a conversation with a couple Subaru guys today (one of which has an 05 WRX wagon) and a well kept turbo manual wagon seems to be working their way up in price. I wonder what mines worth all the time. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...