LegacyGT.com

Why do you all keep your old Legacy around?

I'm off for a trip out of the country here shortly and realized I'd be without my car for two weeks and became a bit sad. I've had the car for 5 years now and it's taken me many places and I have many memories with the car. It would be incredibly difficult for me to sell it. It doesn't hurt that interest rates are super high right now and my car still runs and drives fine, so the desire for a car with a loan attached to it is minimal. I've got a 6-speed sitting in the garage waiting for a rebuild so it can go into the car. I'm always thinking about the next thing I want to do with it or to it. 

These cars are quite old now. I joke that my car has a quarter million miles and is old enough to vote. Why do you hang on to yours? I just love mine too much to let it go. Perhaps if I have kids in the future and need a safer car or something I'll think about replacing it.

Edited by Pleides
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, I have sold both my 4th Gen's. The wagon served me will for some 18 years, but at 306,000 miles, I was done putting money into it. My 09 Spec B had 101,000 miles, but it was getting on in age, as I am, 69y/o, I wasn't looking forward to driving the Spec to VT every week for skiing. I told over her 18' Outback 3.6r.

The Outback is a great driving car with all its safety features. Makes the drive very comfortable. 

Guess I'm getting old... ;) OH, BTW, I'm sitting in the ski house now, after skiing the past two days, one more day to go this week.

• Like 7

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm at 235k+ on my '05 wagon.

Where else am I going to get a 6-speed, turbo wagon, with stunning good looks that I can still work on?

I've modernized a few things, adding upgrade audio, wireless charging, etc.  

As a complete package, she can't be beat (in my opinion).

I'm not looking forward to another 10 years down the road when it's going to be much more difficult to keep her going and the crappy options I'll have to replace her with...

• Like 9

Number one reason is the amount of money I'd need to spend to have any sort of enjoyable driving experience. If I sell it or it gets totalled, I'm firmly down in plain commuter car territory without adding another car payment. 

But I suppose if money wasn't a constricting factor, I'd probably still keep it. I had a vision when I bought the car 11 years ago and I haven't finished building it to my ultimate goal yet. If I had cash for a car payment, it would just go to parts lol. It's pretty oxy moronic, but I like the idea of a rorty, obnoxious sleeper. Most sleeper sport sedans are pretty plain, and I suppose that's a huge part of the appeal. Then there's things like the widebody Charger, Gulia gtam, etc. 

My wagon won't ever be as fast as those, but I smirk when I walk up to a station wagon that's been hit with the "faster than normal" stick. And there's a huge boost knowing I made it that way in my own garage. 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Like 7

Old? This is my flashy modern car.

I was debating engine swapping the ‘71 Datsun, and really getting some power out of it. Like 3.3L V6 swap, full suspension rebuild, etc… Want to chat about parts being hard to find? $$$!! Also probably a death trap for a mediocre driver like me.

This LGT wagon is probably my last opportunity to own something that is classy, comfortable, sneakily sleeper fast and remains easy to work on, not terribly computerized and does not have a tablet integrated into it or a proximity key, etc…. (Did I mention safe, great visibility from the drivers seat, good crash protection) I really see them as an ‘end of an era’ car. Even 5th Gens don’t have much aftermarket support.

Short of spending crazy, newish car money on something more modern + standalone ECU + dash insert, etc…. Where else can you get a package like an LGT now?

• Like 3

I'm just getting started with my OBXT driving experience, after finally getting my rebuild back on the road.  I just went with a friend to a used car lot today where he bought a 2016 WRX, and we talked cars a lot.  I told him that I don't want to drive a rolling wifi hotspot/video theater that steers and brakes according to its own opinions.  It's a real serious question how much longer this or other older cars can be kept going, but I think this era is about when driveability peaked and most of the "improvements" touted since then are things that I don't need or want.  Now get off my lawn.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I don't really consider it "old".  My 2008 is 15 years old, effectively has a brand new engine and still drives wonderfully with 145k miles.  The cost to buy a new car, fix a new car, the move away from physical buttons (though backtracking is in sight), and the connectivity and crap required on newer (5 yrs or less) cars is a real turn-off.  I paid too much for my spec.B during covid, spent 4k on a new shortblock, clutch and other parts, and I still can't justify the price of newer cars.  Turbo, awd, 6-speed manual that fits 4 adults and isn't a bloated chonker... and it doesn't report driving/location metrics back to HQ?  I'm holding onto this thing as long as I can.

Besides, it's one year newer than my previous daily! (RIP)

• Like 4

Well I just love the fact that no one in my area has an 2006 Narrow Body LGT. I really think it is a Cool car. I have no nanny features and it is a true driver car for what it is. I have 6k miles on full build and everything. As mentioned it is paid for. You would be surprised how many 392 ScatPacks get there feelings hurt case they spin and I dart off with my External screaming lol. Also with car prices crazy, I have two little kids, a house, and I just got my wife's 2013 legacy rebuilt there is no way I can go get the car I want.

I wanted and still do want a R35 GTR, my buddy daily drives his 09, but I can't do that. My car LGT sits in the garage cause I have a daily also, so it's different for me. It also has the sleeper look. From the rear It looks like a kid threw on some mufflers, but when you see the STI big brakes and they hear the turbo spool up, it's makes people think twice lol.

main thing I cannot drive something performance wise I see everyday on the road.

• Like 4

I have literally never seen another obxt since I’ve moved to Arizona. 2 or 3 outback bases. My Sti gets an uncomfortable amount of attention, literally people stopping on my street to take pictures of it. There are sti’s driving around here but they’re all new and still pretty scarce 

Edited by blackobxt
  • Like 2

Because new stuff costs a lot of money for a bunch of features I don't want and don't have the tools to fix. As several others have mentioned, these really are some of the last vehicles a DIYer with a decent set of standard tools can keep going.

I can't think of a single car newer than 2014 I really want, much less would be willing to drop a years salary on. So I keep two of these BPs around. What are the odds they'll both break at the same time? OK, don't answer that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Everything I thought of has already been said.  I detest SUVs, trucks, vans etc.  So wagon fits all our crap like an small SUV and drives better.  Sure as **** not getting a manual transmission in an SUV.  My son just turned 16 and is excited to drive the LGT.  It's still pretty damn cool.

• Like 3

My ‘08 XT daily only has 40k on a new short block w/refreshed heads and with the sudden replacement of my 5speed with a ZF Design RA Spec close ratio 1-4 OEM 5th I’m in it for the long haul. Paint is getting tired but at least I don’t have to obsess over it and the car checks boxes that most cars just can’t. 

The track car? Well that’s just a 15 year slippery slope. Will continue to modify and upgrade but don’t see ever getting rid of it unless I was it up at the track…

• Like 5

Sometimes I don't know. Sometimes I'm ready to move on to something different, the GR Corolla, specifically, has caught my eye. Unfortunately between mortgage, living costs, and student loans a car payment is not feasible right now. Sometimes I wonder if I can somehow sneak me having a second car by my wife, and get a BRZ again, because I do miss the one I sold. 

Other times I look at my wagon and remember why I searched a long time for one. I wanted to experience and preserve one of the last good, manual, "fast" wagons. I like the level of technology the car has, and how easy it is to work on. Upgrading the stereo gave me the only bit of a modern car I felt I was missing. I enjoy it every time I drive it.

I'll be ready to get rid of it someday, but I'll be a bit picky who it goes to when that day comes. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tehspud said:

Sometimes I don't know. Sometimes I'm ready to move on to something different, the GR Corolla, specifically, has caught my eye. Unfortunately between mortgage, living costs, and student loans a car payment is not feasible right now. Sometimes I wonder if I can somehow sneak me having a second car by my wife, and get a BRZ again, because I do miss the one I sold. 

Other times I look at my wagon and remember why I searched a long time for one. I wanted to experience and preserve one of the last good, manual, "fast" wagons. I like the level of technology the car has, and how easy it is to work on. Upgrading the stereo gave me the only bit of a modern car I felt I was missing. I enjoy it every time I drive it.

I'll be ready to get rid of it someday, but I'll be a bit picky who it goes to when that day comes. 

Hate to admit it but at this point if I could afford a GR Corolla, (circuit edition) or a R32 I’d gladly jump ship on my daily 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This post has me thinking a lot more than I wish it did. The car is getting old and the interior is showing its age with daily use and my two kids being less than gentle. It’s actually getting to the point where I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get the car back to where I want it interior wise without spending a fortune. The suspension is 100% new but the car is no longer completely quiet and has its random clunks and rattles. Hell I just realized that my new motor isn’t new anymore and I’ve put about 100,000 on it since I put it together! Sadly, I think the car is going to eventually degrade faster than I financially will want to keep up with so we will see how long that will last. Our current plan is to get the house paid off then buy my wife something new then I was going to buy myself something fun after. Who knows, I might have to get something in between all that.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, tehspud said:

Nissan Skyline R32 or VW Golf R32?

Wish I could afford a low mile used VW R32, they pop up on Bring A Trailer here and there. Would gladly take a newer Golf R tho. Total Swiss Army knife car right there…

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, shralp said:

Hate to admit it but at this point if I could afford a GR Corolla, (circuit edition) or a R32 I’d gladly jump ship on my daily 😬

100% the same, but I need the 2014 R35 track edition and I want it already FBO on 91/93 tunes.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:54 PM, blackobxt said:

Our current plan is to get the house paid off then buy my wife something new then I was going to buy myself something fun after. Who knows, I might have to get something in between all that.

I am in the same boat, I just can see myself with a expensive car and still have a house payment, and my wife needs to get something bigger next. So i will run the LGT till she gets hers, but we will  buy it cash.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, shralp said:

Wish I could afford a low mile used VW R32, they pop up on Bring A Trailer here and there. Would gladly take a newer Golf R tho. Total Swiss Army knife car right there…

Mk7 Golf R is also on my short list for replacement. They're starting to come down in price, too. Unless you want a 2019 Spektrum color.

Still, until I find a better paying job, it's looking like I'm keeping the LGT for the time being. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s basically impossible to find something that has everything my wagon does or that I don’t actually want. If my budget were $50k then it becomes a conversation, but as long as my wagon is structurally sound, I can upgrade it to my wildest dreams and still be waaay under budget. Why trade down when it’ll cost me twice as much to do so.

I’ll probably buy a Porsche to replace my wagon one day.

• Like 6

Replying from Melbourne,

There are wagons everywhere here in Australia. I would probably not continue to own an LGT wagon if I had the options they have here. 

With that said, until Caddy CTS-V 6-speed wagons make sense financially (they are super expensive, so probably never), it'll likely stay with me. 

On 12/19/2023 at 4:17 AM, BoozeRS05 said:

It’s basically impossible to find something that has everything my wagon does or that I don’t actually want. If my budget were $50k then it becomes a conversation, but as long as my wagon is structurally sound, I can upgrade it to my wildest dreams and still be waaay under budget. Why trade down when it’ll cost me twice as much to do so.

I’ll probably buy a Porsche to replace my wagon one day.

I'd really, really like a Boxster. Depending on if I want an auto or manual then I would consider a Jaguar F-Type. They're not practical, though, so it would have to be a second car.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pleides said:

Replying from Melbourne,

There are wagons everywhere here in Australia. I would probably not continue to own an LGT wagon if I had the options they have here. 

With that said, until Caddy CTS-V 6-speed wagons make sense financially (they are super expensive, so probably never), it'll likely stay with me. 

I'd really, really like a Boxster. Depending on if I want an auto or manual then I would consider a Jaguar F-Type. They're not practical, though, so it would have to be a second car.

If I lived in Australia I’d scoop up a Holden Adventra in an absolute hurry and would immediately start working on a turbo setup.

Edited by blackobxt
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pleides said:

Replying from Melbourne,

Not that I would necassarily ditch the LGT, but with some of the other options available to the rest of the world it's a very different story.

Nissan Stagea for a large wagon.
Toyota Caldina for something cheap and cheerful that is okay with having a supercharger or small turbo slapped on.
Keep it Subie and get the 2.0L Levorg w or w/o engine swap to something bigger.... etc... etc...

Hope you're enjoying Aus. Melbourne was one of the best places I visited while I was there a few years ago. Not much I really liked about Aus after spending a few months there, but the car culture is something to behold.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 5:43 AM, blackobxt said:

If I lived in Australia I’d scoop up a Holden Adventra in an absolute hurry and would immediately start working on a turbo setup.

My friends who I'm staying with felt like I had shot them point blank when I told them we'd kill for a Commodore in the states since the Chevy SS got axed.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:04 AM, KZJonny said:

Not that I would necassarily ditch the LGT, but with some of the other options available to the rest of the world it's a very different story.

Nissan Stagea for a large wagon.
Toyota Caldina for something cheap and cheerful that is okay with having a supercharger or small turbo slapped on.
Keep it Subie and get the 2.0L Levorg w or w/o engine swap to something bigger.... etc... etc...

Hope you're enjoying Aus. Melbourne was one of the best places I visited while I was there a few years ago. Not much I really liked about Aus after spending a few months there, but the car culture is something to behold.

I landed in Adelaide for a few days' stay and then my friend and I drove to Melbourne. He's an Adelaide native. Quite liked both cities. Melbourne reminds me a lot of San Francisco. Adelaide is a bit of an eclectic mix of Portland and San Diego and its own city. Melbourne's car scene was unreal. I'd never seen a Ferrari F40 before and saw 3 in 24 hours there amongst an LFA, Carrera GT, XJ220, and so on. 

• Thanks 1