LegacyGT.com

ECM 2024 planning thread

boxkita

drive the glen details:

Drive The Glen passes can be purchased for $30 (cashless) per vehicle online or at Gate 2 [Main Track Entrance] off of County Route 16. 

Groups of 10 cars or more must reserve their experience in advance, please email Jessica Allen at JLALLEN@THEGLEN.COM

Groups of 30 cars or more must reserve at least 30 days in advance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boxkita said:

Wow! Nice list.

"Watkins Glen State Park itself is also something to behold. If you're into rock formations this will be cool to you. The state park also has campsites, but no cabins."

looks they have cabins if we get 3 nights.

I'm sure this is predicatable, but I would love to hang out at something like this State park. # days/nights doesn't seem like a stretch, and while I didn't dig into pricing I bet even paying for the third night and not using it, you'd end up a lot cheaper than a $7-8K weekend at a house.

How much chicanery do State Parks allow? Not that we were exactly the most raucous crown last year I think. Maybe just up later than most who brough their kids...

That said, any of the above options seem good as well. Seems like most of the house rental are pretty damned expensive for what you get. Lakeside is nice and all, but it seems like it's a healthy premium, and nobody was complaining about the lack of swimming this year. I'd take a drive to hang out on a beach with a book for a while. Isn't having more places to drive to kind of part of the fun of us all dragging our long-suffreing LGTs from all over the place to a campsite somewhere?! Seem like kind of the point to me... ;)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

I'm sure this is predicatable, but I would love to hang out at something like this State park. # days/nights doesn't seem like a stretch, and while I didn't dig into pricing I bet even paying for the third night and not using it, you'd end up a lot cheaper than a $7-8K weekend at a house.

How much chicanery do State Parks allow? Not that we were exactly the most raucous crown last year I think. Maybe just up later than most who brough their kids...

That said, any of the above options seem good as well. Seems like most of the house rental are pretty damned expensive for what you get. Lakeside is nice and all, but it seems like it's a healthy premium, and nobody was complaining about the lack of swimming this year. I'd take a drive to hang out on a beach with a book for a while. Isn't having more places to drive to kind of part of the fun of us all dragging our long-suffreing LGTs from all over the place to a campsite somewhere?! Seem like kind of the point to me... ;)

I like the idea of a state park myself as well, but also sympathetic to those with families who need a little more in the way of modern amenities. I've also reached out to this smaller outfit Catharine Cottages. They only have 4 cottages and they are priced reasonably at $180/night for 2 adults and a child. I've sent them a message asking if they would allow tents and a pop-up RV camper if we rent 2 or more of the cottages. If we can book all 4, I think they might be amenable. As of now they have full availability for 6/14/24 - 6/16/24. A little creek runs through, their site looks quite picturesque. Message also sent to Watkins Glen.

• Like 3

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Catharine Cottages just got back to me:

Hi. I think we can accommodate you. We could handle a pop up camper and a tent or two. I think it would be best if you rented all 4 of our cottages. Because the extras would overwhelm other visitors. I can give you our discount of $165/night plus tax.  Call if you want to discus. 

Between them being OK with tents, pop-up campers, and dogs, I think they check off all of our boxes while keeping everyone in a central location. They are also only a 10 minute drive from Watkins Glen Raceway. Since this deal only works if we book all 4 cottages (furnished with appliances, electric + running water) I think we should move forward with them. Between now and next summer I'm confident we can fill all four cottages. This won't work once just one of the cottages is booked by someone outside of our group.

If people don't have any strong opinions against I'd like to go ahead and reserve the entire location and collect from members on the back-end. Remember that by exploring other options, we will still need to open up the box of questions that is whether they allow pets, tents, pop-up campers, etc.

Thoughts?

spacer.png

• Like 2

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

Here are the preferences @Boxkitty gathered. The only other wrinkle is that some people from the cottages will have to share their bathrooms - to that end I don't mind staying at one of the cottages and letting that bathroom be "public."

On 8/22/2023 at 9:26 AM, boxkita said:

June 14-16 (Friday-Sunday) , Thursday if we can find a cheap place.

Finger Lakes region of New York. $3600 max budget. Housing for 6 ppl, camping for 4. Parking for 20? Lakefront if we can.

Committed ($200/night, $600 max for weekend)

@boxkita - 1 person 

@JJBerk - 2 people 

@tysparks81 - 2 people 

@KZJonny - 1 person?

@Enlight - 1 person?

@m sprank - 3 people 

Invited mot fully committed

@Infosecdad

@JmP6889928

others I can't remember at the moment 

Needs house:

@m sprank

Needs camping space:

@KZJonny

housing ambivalent 

@JJBerk

@tysparks81

@boxkita

We've seen house prices at all levels. I'd like to target 2500 max because 600/weekend would be a big chunk of my lodging budget. Finding more ppl committed helps.

Still need to sort out food and drinks (knocking over a beer truck worked well this time and @m sprank should be recovered from alcohol poisoning by next year). If possible, I'd like the $200/night to cover all expenses minus travel. 

• Like 1

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

51 minutes ago, m sprank said:

This one is nice too, definitely not opposed.

Watkins Glen Raceway doesn't make their schedule for 2024 until January.

• Like 2

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

i looked at the cabins. on google. 4.9 stars &!38 reviews. The Loyal order of Moose has a big parking lot across the road if we need more space for a car show.

its 4.5 miles/er 8 billion kms from Watkins Glen State Park. There's a couple more b&b nearby too.

this year we had a popup, 3 tenters, an idiot and a b&b. The cabins would have brought in a couple more. $1440 for all 4 cabins including tents and popup is one of the cheaper places we've seen.

Not sure if there's a shared bathroom for tenters, so we might have to dedicate a cabin for shared use.

Id either tent or cabin, so I'm in.

@tysparks81 needs to comment unless he's camping again 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, m sprank said:

6.5 acres. 6k = $1500/night = 8 payers/night @200 per. The place is gorgeous, no swimming in lake tho.

I would put this one at the edge of funding 

When the crowd that has more specific needs agrees on a thing, I’m happy to kick in what I can, be that a tent or cabin or just asking nicely to use a sink to wash up.

My usual budget for an 8-10 day vacation (typically backcountry hiking or canoeing) is something like $120-140 for site bookings and $3-400 for food, fuel and consumables. Maybe a little extra for a nice meal when I get off trail. (All in CAD…. So, like $60 USD?! ;))

I had such a good time last year, I’m keen to do it again, so I’ll sit on the sidelines here. You all are doing a fantastic jon searching out all these lovely looking places.

Are the cabins at the place @Enlight mentioned large enough for those with an extra body to throw down an air mat for a kid at night or what have you? Might add some flexibility for those who need it?

4 hours ago, Enlight said:

Catharine Cottages just got back to me:

Between them being OK with tents, pop-up campers, and dogs, I think they check off all of our boxes while keeping everyone in a central location. They are also only a 10 minute drive from Watkins Glen Raceway. Since this deal only works if we book all 4 cottages (furnished with appliances, electric + running water) I think we should move forward with them. Between now and next summer I'm confident we can fill all four cottages. This won't work once just one of the cottages is booked by someone outside of our group.

If people don't have any strong opinions against I'd like to go ahead and reserve the entire location and collect from members on the back-end. Remember that by exploring other options, we will still need to open up the box of questions that is whether they allow pets, tents, pop-up campers, etc.

Thoughts?

spacer.png

We’re in. this looks great.

56 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

When the crowd that has more specific needs agrees on a thing, I’m happy to kick in what I can, be that a tent or cabin or just asking nicely to use a sink to wash up.

My usual budget for an 8-10 day vacation (typically backcountry hiking or canoeing) is something like $120-140 for site bookings and $3-400 for food, fuel and consumables. Maybe a little extra for a nice meal when I get off trail. (All in CAD…. So, like $60 USD?! ;))

I had such a good time last year, I’m keen to do it again, so I’ll sit on the sidelines here. You all are doing a fantastic jon searching out all these lovely looking places.

Are the cabins at the place @Enlight mentioned large enough for those with an extra body to throw down an air mat for a kid at night or what have you? Might add some flexibility for those who need it?

2 adults and a kid is their default. bed & sofa. should be room for an air mattress too

• Like 1

Just sayin...

June 6-13

Duration 7 Nights
Total Guests: 20
Rental price: $1,995
Refundable security deposit $400
Cleaning Fee $200
Lodging Tax 4% $80
Total:

$2,674.80

Deposit of $400 is REFUNDABLE.  Could mean as little as $2275 for the week.  Even if we lost the deposit, 10 people x $200 each is $2k.  I would kick in the extra $675 to stay the extra 4 days alone in the house.  LOL.

@KZJonny can pitch a tent in the yard and use the amenities the rest of the time.

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Just sayin...

June 6-13

Duration 7 Nights
Total Guests: 20
Rental price: $1,995
Refundable security deposit $400
Cleaning Fee $200
Lodging Tax 4% $80
Total:

$2,674.80

Deposit of $400 is REFUNDABLE.  Could mean as little as $2275 for the week.  Even if we lost the deposit, 10 people x $200 each is $2k.  I would kick in the extra $675 to stay the extra 4 days alone in the house.  LOL.

@KZJonny can pitch a tent in the yard and use the amenities the rest of the time.

Send a link for this one?