LegacyGT.com

Summer Tire Recommendation

2 hours ago, pleiadesfella said:

... so I can't say for sure that the bridgestones are better or worse in any category than the pilot sports. 

@Jolbaru_LGT I can! The RE-71Rs are way better in the category of "inferior to PS4Ss."

I'm just giving you a hard time. If it helps you jump, you could justify it in the name of safety and longevity. The PS4Ss last longer and are stickier in both wet and dry situations.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I'm not campaigning agianst PS4s, and would probably try out a set if I had the cash, or I though I would have a chance to really use them at their potential.

But I'm a big negatory on both counts there. I DO believe in spending good money on good tires, the comment about the value of the front of your car is a very good one.

Anyway, I'll just throw in that I've been happy with my Continenal DWS 06s. I am quite sure I could find the limit of them, but one they're warmed up a little, they're great for all purpose, off track use. And I do a fair bit of twisty road driving... Not at track speeds, but they've been excellent at 80km/h or so when pushed pretty hard.

So, I guess it comes down to the use case. If you're not regularly doing track days, is 2x the money really getting you anything you're going to actually use ?

1 hour ago, Febreze Mee said:

@Jolbaru_LGT I can! The RE-71Rs are way better in the category of "inferior to PS4Ss."

I'm just giving you a hard time. If it helps you jump, you could justify it in the name of safety and longevity. The PS4Ss last longer and are stickier in both wet and dry situations.

hey, I still think my tires were a pretty good deal for what they are 😛 

and OP, don't fret over all the choices and pricing. as long as you choose a reputable brand and do the research on the model of tire you're getting you'll be alright in the end. there are some people in my area who throw out the stock dunlops/yokohamas mounted on oem enkeis/bbs on their stis in exchange for garbage like ESR wheels combined with cheap shit tires like ironman or whatever. as long as you're not like these people, you'll do fine. when I say I got my bridgestones for cheap, I mean I just got a great deal on what is normally a pricey tire. keep your eyes peeled and you'll find the right deal for your use case eventually.

also just to clarify, in my last message I meant I got a set of potenza RE-71RS, not RE-71R. my fault for typing in lowercase like a lazy idiot :). the RE-71R is out of production, the RE-71RS is it's replacement. there's a 1000hp s15 in japan running this tire so it can't be all that bad lol.

11 hours ago, Jolbaru_LGT said:

I’m still deciding. I know PS4S’s are pretty top of the line. But, I’m not sure I can justify the price. I see those tires on Porsches and other high end cars and SUVs and idk, they could be overkill… I’d feel SOL if something happened to my car. 
Guess I’m leaning towards another set of Indy 500s or General GMax RS. 🤷‍♂️

I would not have purchased my Michelins if it weren't for the steep discount at the time, however I do like them for the just over a grand I spent on them after installation. They are noisier than my Falken FK510s, for what that's worth. The grip is absolutely insane on them for a street car with a chassis that was likely engineered on software older than I am, so make of that what you will. I have never been capable of pushing these tires past their limit and I did manage that with the Falkens being the novice that I am. G-MAX RS are decent tires and often have rebates and stuff and I don't think you would regret purchasing them. The Michelins might wear slower and grip harder, but the slower wear is still not worth the hundreds of dollars more. 

If the difference is a hundred bucks I'd get the Michelins but if you're staring down the barrel of $400 less and you're torn then I'd skip the Michelins, Contis, or whatever else are sky high in price. Life is expensive right now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, my thoughts now, are that I went from WI weather to Chi weather. I didn’t see nearly as much snow in the winter, just cold and maybe rain? Snow was minimal. Would I be better off with an all season? Anyone have the Crossclimates? 
I still want to keep my LGT for more of a weekend machine, rather than a daily but I’m just trying to exhaust all options before I pull the trigger. 

1 hour ago, Jolbaru_LGT said:

Would I be better off with an all season? Anyone have the Crossclimates? 

I have them on my wife's Ascent, they are plenty good in most conditions, much better than any all season that I have used. If you are driving in snow, the only drawback that I have noticed is that dedicated winter tires are noticeably better with braking.

13 hours ago, Jolbaru_LGT said:

So, my thoughts now, are that I went from WI weather to Chi weather. I didn’t see nearly as much snow in the winter, just cold and maybe rain? Snow was minimal. Would I be better off with an all season? Anyone have the Crossclimates? 
I still want to keep my LGT for more of a weekend machine, rather than a daily but I’m just trying to exhaust all options before I pull the trigger. 

I've driven many Audis with CrossClimates. They're really a true *all* season tire and are better in the snow that most cheap winter tires but they do not inspire sportiness. Softer sidewalls and shorter tread life if driven aggressively are definitely not gonna make for a good tire choice for a car driven for fun. A Pilot Sport AS4 or the like would be better for that sort of driving, and many top summer tires do excellent in the rain.

• Like 1