LegacyGT.com

What were the LGT's Contenders when you went car shopping?

3. E90 330i- i like the way bimmers drive, but $40k for a sport premium package, please... had a E39 530i, all the stuff you pay extra for never worked the way it was supposed to, basically ticked me off so i was not ready to do that again. also can't stand being part of that snob genre.

2. G-35 sedan sport package. closest contender for me, but could not stand the seat adjustments on top of the seat.

LGT- great heritage, unique technology (boxer AWD). 3pt. steering wheel is perfect. supportive seat. IMO its more of a real driver's car.

There's a lot of gripes about the LGT not having steering wheel radio controls, premium sound system, etc. nice features, sure, but I'm personally a little tired of all those unecessary amenities.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot of gripes about the LGT not having steering wheel radio controls, premium sound system, etc. nice features, sure, but I'm personally a little tired of all those unecessary amenities.

I here ya, as I don't care about that stuff either.

BUT.........car enthusiasts don't by enough cars to matter. In the segment that the LGT "plays" in, you need that stuff to attract the mainstream buyers that buy the bulk of these cars.....meaning the bulk of legacy buyers who would never be on a forum like this.

Ron

I was driving a 97 540 BMW 6 spd with all options except phone & Nav. The Steering wheel had a lot of buttons and even heated up. I bought that car used with about a million miles on it,drove the crap out of it for another million and traded it in for my LGT after I watched the fan blade go through the hood of the BMW.

I had looked at Maximas and Acura TL's and liked the Subie the best. I did not want to go with another million mile (all I could afford) 540 even though I loved the vehicle.

This is not my beautiful car.

Mazda 6 5-door V6 MT: Cheap interior, drove ok, liked the hatchback styling and utility.

Infinity G35: Nice to drive but bad ergonomics for me... felt cramped, window switches were placed idiotically, no wagon

Volvo V50: Too expensive with the equipment/motor I wanted... dealer was a prick, too.

Forester XT: Interior too cheesy. Kind of boring looking. Only a couple grand cheaper than the LGT Ltd. when loaded... end of story.

BMW 325i wagon: not a manual in the whole country and the automatic was too expensive and had plastic seats. Dealer was a prick.

Nissan Maxima: no wagon, crap interior

VW Passat wagon (old model): had a 98 Passat just like it... yawn.

IS300 sportback: too ricey on the inside, nice car, though.

Outback XT wagon: would look better lowered without the cladding... oh, wait...

LGT wagon fit the bill... great utility, goes like stink, looks good, interior is nice, AWD is excellent... dealer found me SWP MT at the right price and that was it... my first Subaru.

sorta considered and FX35, but wanted something I could still autox so the only contender was an is300 ...... then I drove the legacy and then decided I might as well get the wagon since I could haul more of the family stuff on trips and such.

AWD Sedans To Consider (for those looking anyways):

BMW 330xi

Legacy GT

Mazdaspeed 6

Lexus IS250

BMW has questionable reliability, and while I like Mazda's design better, the Legacy is built from a company that is all about AWD.

HOWEVER, nothing beats Luxury from a company that is #1 on the reliability list:

AWD 2.5Liter Lexus IS250 FTW...however I hope soon they make MT equipped AWD models...right now only Auto :(

After the BS I went through w/ Nissan with my Altima I promised myself never to buy another Nissan. I looked at the VW GTI VR6 and also the Volvo S40. My grandmother purchased an Outback wagon a few months before I bought my Legacy and raved about it so I started looking into them. I knew they were good cars and the AWD factor appealed to me because of the commute I have to work..in all types of weather. I made an appt for a test drive and the rest was history.

Yes I know, I this was for the LGT..but hey..I still got a subie!

dougc: I live near newburgh...you really think you need AWD in poughkeepsie?

I dunno, I'm not liking my 24mpg in my Legacy GT Auto...and I know part of it is because its an Auto, and the other part is the AWD.

And here in Orange county (and even in poughkeepsie), we don't have too many huge hills you can't avoid, and there are maybe 2-3 days out of the YEAR that I somehow am forced to drive while it's actually snowing and the roads are pretty bad.

Otherwise, this area of the NE is fine with FWD and a set of snow tires if the need be. *shrug*

But I love everything else about my 98 Legacy GT.

dougc: I live near newburgh...you really think you need AWD in poughkeepsie?

I dunno, I'm not liking my 24mpg in my Legacy GT Auto...and I know part of it is because its an Auto, and the other part is the AWD.

And here in Orange county (and even in poughkeepsie), we don't have too many huge hills you can't avoid, and there are maybe 2-3 days out of the YEAR that I somehow am forced to drive while it's actually snowing and the roads are pretty bad.

Otherwise, this area of the NE is fine with FWD and a set of snow tires if the need be. *shrug*

But I love everything else about my 98 Legacy GT.

um..hell yeah...I need awd. I commute to Parsipanny NJ 90 miles approx. each way. I have to be at work at either 7 AM or 7PM depending if our shift is on nights or days. If I wake up at 4:15 AM and there is 8 inches of snow on the ground and the roads have not been plowed yet. I have to brush my car off and start my trek to NJ. I work in a 24/7 365 days a year Network Operations center, we do not close. If I know there is a bad snow storm coming I use the company credit card and stay at the Hilton just 2 mins away..which is nice..but not always an option. Besides to get to my house I have a few steep hills to go up. I had trouble w/ the Altima one year...I barely made it home. The last snowfall we just had dumped 11 inches where I live and I was cruising around my development before the plows came..rippin through all of it. I would not be able to do that in a RWD or FWD car.

If you opted for the low HP in the Altima (like the NA Legacy) I am sure it was bad.

As far as snow travels - Well I live in Buffalo NY and I am certain I travel in a lot of snow, and drive 25k miles a year. Not to mention I go to the mountains a lot and most locals have fwd junk and make it around.. - My last car was a Maxima

I say every car needs snow tires period.

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/compare/Car.htm

i made this when i was shopping for the LGT back in march

Wow, that's a pretty extensive list. I never really priced one out, but I didn't realize the WRX cost that much fully loaded.

I'm surprised that the LGT shifter merited special mention on that list. It doesn't seem that smooth to me (compared to my old A4 for example), although it's not bad. I have the STi short-shifter, so maybe that makes it a little notchier.

easy....

LGT .vs. sti

my wife reminded me how old I was and so went for the LGT

... I don't regret it one bit tho' - kickass car.

what car does she drive u ask? the wrx of course and

please don't ask me any further question on the matter

thank you and have a nice day....:rolleyes:

MazdaSpeed 6

Evo VIII

STi

A4 1.8T

The Evo & STi weren't what I was looking for along the lines of comfort.

The MS6 wasn't out yet so I couldn't test fit it.

I read that the Audi has quite a few electrical problems.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

1) legacy 2.5i

2) impreza 2.5rs

3) corolla xrs

4) 300m

5) volvo s40

6) a4 quattro

in the end it was either corolla or legacy.

19k fully loaded corolla w/ every factory option available

or

20k for bone stock legacy

had to go for awd..... must grip every corner!

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

1. 2006 Subaru Legacy GT sedan

2. 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan

3. 2006 Acura TSX

4. 2006 Mazdaspeed6

I haven't bought mine yet, but that's basically the list, all those vehicles are similarly priced. The LGT already won for me, I just want to get a feel of some other sport sedans in the same price range.

In June 2005, and AWD was a must:

1. Volvo S40 T5 AWD - too expensive, front-drive, small and the salespeople pi**ed me off (we're all busy now, please make an appointment and come back when we have time to take your money from you),

2. Audi A4 - less power, bad quality rap, see 'em everywhere,

3. BMW 330xi - WAY too expensive and unbelievably slow published 0-60 time,

4. Mazdaspeed 6 - not available to test drive, every car was pre-sold so delivery date was uncertain, same price as LGT,

5. Infinity G35x - more expensive, eats up brakes, cheap interior, see 'em everywhere, no faster

Thank God it's almost 2006 which means we should be buying in the next three or four months. Here are the top contenders at this time.

Pontiac GTO - Great power, nice interior but no sunroof or heated leather.

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Also great power but no manual.

Nissan Altima SE-R - Good power, has everything the wife wants, nice rumble

The wifes favorite.

Dodge Charger Hemi - Great power, boring interior, over 30 grand when

optioned the way we want, no manual.

Acura TL - Nice power, great interior, over 30 grand, dime a dozen in our

area.

Legacy GT - My farorite hands down, has everything I want including the

turbo and AWD. The problem is that the wife gets to chose the

next car and I can not convince her of the advantages of

AWD. However the biggest roadblock to the LGT is the fact

that she thinks it is way smaller (interior volume) than the SE-R.

I am hoping to get the LGT to move up because the the Nissan Altima is about to totally change and if I hold out a little longer the next gen Altima might turn her off. To be honest it is probably between the SE-R and the LGT, since they are the only two that has everything we are looking for. We me luck guys.

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/compare/Car.htm

i made this when i was shopping for the LGT back in march

Excellent write up. I am suprised your insurance was more for the BMW M3. Every time I quote a policy change, my insurance is actually less for the Leggy and a M3. I currently have an Acura TL-S.

I am actually going through this process right now. I have a decent car that is paid for in the Acura TL-S. I have driven the 2005 Leg-GT and thought to myself this is nice, but would need AP at the very least. I have always lusted after the M3, but would have to be used as I am not spending that kind of jack on a new car even though I could. There is the coupe factor of the M3 and that is a consideration with two kids in carseats, but of course our other car is a van.

My wife is pushing hard for me to just be satisfied with the TL-S, but I am tied of automatic and FWD. Oh Well, thanks for the list.

Subaru Liberty ( Legacy ) GT

http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/exterior.asp?body=Sedan&grade=GT

:( In Oz we still get the 2.0T not the 2.5T. Turbo is fun but off the line the GT was slugish imo. I also prefer more consistent power delivery of NA engines.

Ford FPV F6 Typhoon

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.440

:( Lots of go but only RWD and not as refined as the Suby. But it does look the shiznit and it goes like stink.

Mazda RX8

http://www.mazda.com.au/rx8/

:( Realistically not enough storage space and too sporty of an image for work. But rotary is cool and this car is a great roadster with looks to die for.

:) The Liberty GT got me hooked into the Suby brand and the 3.0RB suits me fine plus it had these bonuses...

+ Electric seats both passenger and driver ( important cause I often have different passengers )

+ Stereo controls on the wheel ( the GT had tran shifter buttons there, bad idea imo )

+ Smoother power delivery ( obviously as it's NA )

+ 18" rims with better suspension ( no GT Spec.B option here )

+ Costs about $4000 less ( ok not all that important but anyway :p )

Hope it helps ;)

Archived