LegacyGT.com

What were the LGT's Contenders when you went car shopping?

Cross-shopped :

CPO(used) S4

CPO BMW 540i

waiting for the mazdaspeed 6 to hit the showrooms (im glad now i didnt wait)

Acura TL

G35 sedan

The used S4 mainly got nixed because finding a used manaul S4 with low miles and the color/options I want was damn near impossible.

The 540i was mainly knocked out with the thought of averaging 13-15mpg city + insurance costs + the one i was looking at had summer tires on it

To make the G35 affordable i either would have had to go used or go with a bare bones model, and when it came down to it i could get a loaded awd legacy GT for 27 whereas i was getting into the high 30s to look at a g35 with the same features..

Acura TL.. I was coming from a TSX, it felt like too much of a lateral move

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like most people have a similar opinion to the one that drove me to buy this car, that it's the best balance of features at the best price. I'm thinking if I throw on a set of pinks, an AP and a DP, I'll be pretty set for handling and performance.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

Looked at:

Saab 9-3 Viggen (didn't drive it)

CTS 3.6L with 6-speed manual (drove it)

Mazda6 wagon with manual (drove it)

G35 with manual (drove it)

Used late-model E36 M3 manual sedan (got a ride in one)

2.7TT S4 (drove it)

Heavy feel, FWD, cost for repairs, cost for mods, and non-folding rear seat eliminated all of them over time.

Sounds like most people have a similar opinion to the one that drove me to buy this car, that it's the best balance of features at the best price. I'm thinking if I throw on a set of pinks, an AP and a DP, I'll be pretty set for handling and performance.

You already have a Spec B, whaddya want for a suspension?? :)

For my std LGT, afer a couple of track days (with better tires), all that I may do is some Cusco-type bars for the body lean. The car performs quite well otherwise (and Panther+ pads are on the workbench).

Get better tires and play it from there (and I don't recall what the Spec B has as a std tire, but it's probably not the optimal)

Ron

You already have a Spec B, whaddya want for a suspension?? :)

Get better tires and play it from there (and I don't recall what the Spec B has as a std tire, but it's probably not the optimal)

215/45 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's. They grip wonderfull for me in dry weather, and I haven't had any issues since it started raining. I'm not making any major mods soon as I basically went broke putting as much down as possible on this car. I was more just thinking ahead... with a set of pinks, the suspension would be superb. My first mod is probably gonna be something small and asthetic oriented like a boost gauge or some tinting.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

Requirements:

1) AWD

2) Wagon

3) Manual Tranny

Choices:

A) Volvo T5 AWD

B) Audi A4 Avant

C) Subaru Legacy

Results:

Never found a T5 AWD to test

Didn't find an Avant with a manual

Drove a Legacy GT LTD 5MT, loved it, bought it

03 Aspen White WRX 5MT

05 Aspen White WRX 5MT

05 Mini Cooper S 6MT

I wanted something with a proven rally history. Nix the Evo because Mitsu is such a shoddy company and the car is a bit too... juvenile for me. Great car, just not for me.

All the above cars look great dirty (minus the Evo). I am a firm believer that a dirty Subaru looks better than a clean one.

"There's no doubt for me that the 330i is the only car "better" than the LGT for less than $50K, period!"

Before you draw this conclusion, read the review of the Legacy GT that appears .....

First of all, let me remind you that I own and love an LGT!!

That said... keep in mind that he is not reviewing the latest 330i which is faster than the LGT (according to Car and Driver, anyway), and has superior torque immediately off the line -- and coming out of corners. It also "fixes" almost all of the problems about which I hear constant complaints of the LGT on this board:

• bigger/better tires
  • no squat
  • reduced body roll
  • no turbo lag (obviously)
  • no stutter under accelleration
  • 6-speed manual
  • better brakes with vastly better pedal feel
  • no brake "float" in the rain
  • traction control (fully defeatable)
  • better stereo (although no aftermarket capability and no in-dash changer)
  • steering wheel mounted radio controls
  • nav system available w/ manual tranny
  • HID headlamps
  • better gas mileage
  • incredibly comfortable seats
  • memory for seats/mirrors (for three drivers)
  • functional, non-crazy auto HVAC
  • better paint / fit-n-finish
  • fold-down rear seats
  • edit: accessories available after the car is powered off

...and a few of my own...

• auto-down-tilting side mirrors in reverse
  • auto-slowing wipers when stopped at a light
  • all windows/sunroof remotely open/close from key fob
  • memory seats auto-adjust based on which fob unlocked the car
  • free oil changes and maintenance while under warranty

Again, I'm not here to disrespect the LGT -- I LOVE IT!! But the BMW is clearly the better car, if judged by nothing other than the complaints LGT drivers make about their cars on this board!

I too have owned both cars, and the LGT is simply not in the same class as the BMW. The LGT is, however, an awesome machine and a drastically better value (and undoubtedly more reliable).

So the real question is: are these amenties and performance enhancements worth the $10K - $15K premium? That is for the buyer to decide -- I've already made my choice!!

TSX- loved the navi, great interior, love hondas and think they make a great product...needed more juice

g35- nice engine, nice amenities but the price was a few grand more and i couldn't really justify it. great resale value, i know that some of you are against the discussion about resale value but it's a legitimate topic for many and an important consideration for car fanatics whom change vehicles frequently...ultimately a lil too common for me

325i- nice look, free maint, but i hate the small back seat and didn't feel the premium has ever been justified.

a4- reliability and dealer service has scared me off. however, my own scooby dealer blew as well.

rx8-originally the bang for the buck wasn't there...however, since i've made my purchase they're on a fire sale and my local dealer is selling ad cars for 19k. the mileage woulda sucked but it looks decent, nice balance...i wouldn't have minded it.

there was nothing else in the price range that was AWD and had the

modability of the LGT.

the fact that there is an established subaru community where i'm from didn't hurt either. this was the only car I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh crap, I forgot the G35. You can count it in there some place, but not the AWD part. It's not quite as fast and it'll cost more $$$. Plus, I think the interior is cheeeeeeep!

I can confirm this in a big way...just traded my 03 RWD AT G35 for an 05 LGT MT. Damn, I'm happy. The G would not get out of my new driveway with an inch of snow. LGT is faster and sooo much tighter.

Interior of the G35 is carp!

Things I miss...Leather (didn't get the Limted), tape deck for the IPod (Waiting on the Jazzy Board), one touch up/down windows, steering wheel audio controls.

Fun question ...

G35 Sedan > But to undergo model change next Fall

Jeep Grand Cherokee > V-8 option, like the new style but reliability was a big ???

Toyota Avalon > New model is great, awesome engine but was surprised it's a FWD ... plus, too young to drive "Daddy's Car"

But I am soooo happy with this car. It's the best bang for the buck. And I love my dealer - props to McRee Subaru in Dickinson, TX (South of Houston) ... cheap maintenance, AWD, snug interior feel, and its way inconspicuous ... folks are always surprised by its lively performance and handling!!!

I've only seen two other GT's in the last year - one in Sugarland, TX and the other in San Antonio, TX.

First 2005 GTO, but then I moved to the northeast

Thought about the VW R32 after driving a few of them, fun car but small

Saab 9-2x Aero when they were selling for under $20k, but the wife hates wagons

Then a 2003 Jag X-type until I read about the reliability, and the wife hated it

2002 Audi A4 1.8T, the dealers wanted way to much money for one around here. 19k+ for a car with 50k miles, nahh

2006 LGT for under $24k, can't go wrong with that, plus it was more comfortable and faster than all the others (besides the GTO)

2005 GTO...but wife wanter a 4-door car.

ACURA TL...but nearest dealer was 450 miles away and I was concerned about warranty service.

MAZDA 6...almost bought, well almost ordered one...local dealer didn't have a MT in stock. Began to get serious about the ordering process and then my 17 year-old son said I should check out the LGT. I hadn't even heard of the LGT before. I did some internet research, including this forum, and went to the local Subaru dealer the next day. They had a RBP MT on the lot. I took it for a test drive and fell in love. The next day I took my wife over to look at it and a problem immediately surfaced...she didn't like the taupe interior.

I went home and checked the Subaru site "nearby" dealer inventory listings. Found a RBP MT with dark interior 450 miles away. Told the dealer about it the next day, he called the other dealer and we made what I considered a good deal. Over the weekend the local dealer sent a flatbed to the other dealer to bring it back. I picked it up the following Monday and haven't experienced one iota of regret or "buyers remorse" since!

1) Nissan Pathfinder

2) Nissan Xterra

3) Nissan 350Z

4) Mazda RX8

5) Ford Explorer Sport Trac

6) Wrx

7) Legacy

The Legacy won out. But my main reason was the fact that I have always been a huge fan of all wheel drive, turbo's, and intercoolers. I seriously considered a Wrx but I just didn't feel it was comfortable enough so I went with the Legacy.

No other contenders, really. I prematurely dumped my Acura TL just because I wanted the LGT, not that I really needed a new car. If the LGT hadn't come out in this form, I eventually would have bought a Forester XT (probably this year for fear that Subaru will give it the Tribeca snout in 2007).

I wanted AWD or 4x4 (snowboarding trips during winter vacation and spring semester, but turns out i won't be going on trips during the spring semester). Decent gas mileage (drove my dad's Nissan Frontier Crewcab and that got HORRENDOUS mileage). Decent cargo space (carry all my shit for trips to/from school and home and snowboarding trips).

so the choices narrowed down were

1. Nissan Murano AWD, various other small SUVs like liberty and stuff

2. Audi A4 Avant

3. Subaru Legacy Wagon

4. Subaru Impreza Wagon

5. Saab 9-2x

1. murano/SUVs too expsensive, didn't want SUV, not enough power, or bad fuel efficiency

2. too small, not enough cargo space, too expensive, decent power, GREAT fuel efficiency, but... 4 inches of ground clearance are you kidding me? what am i going to do with 4 inches of ground clearance?

4 and 5. too small, not enough cargo space, 9-2x sold out by the time i caught onto it.

Basically all the same here (still haven't pulled the trigger yet). My criteria is 200+ hp, rear or all wheel drive, 4 doors + safe.

Audi A3 3.2

Mazdaspeed 6 (not sure what the big deal is, drove it and LGT the same dealer, I though the LGT was way better)

Audi A4

BMW 325Ix

Infinity G35x

Definently leaning heavily to the LGT.

I never drove an 06 with the 2.5, but the 05 2.0 handled terribly. It wasnt so much the styling, as it was the body roll :icon_frow

You should have tried an '05 with the 2.5 XT package, as the suspension was tighter than the stock Forester. The '04 2.5 XT Forester 5MT is the one that C&D pulled a 13.8 out of in their road test back in August '03 (IIRC). Even with the 210 HP 2.5 at the time, it weighs less than the LGT.

Head over to some of the other Subie forums. With some suspension changes, you can drop that puppy way down, plus it looks a LOT better!!

Before I saw the new LGT at the Detroit show in early '04, I was gonna go with a Forester XT/2.5 5MT over a WRX wagon, as they ran a bunch quicker with the 2.5, plus the (aftermarket) suspension changes would have helped in the looks/handling dept.

Actually, if something happened to my 5MT LTD wagon, I would not get another LGT since I cant get the 5MT in the wagon. I would consider a Forester before I would consider the heavier Outback with the 2.5 turbo + 5MT.

Ron

Archived