LegacyGT.com

What were the LGT's Contenders when you went car shopping?

07 TSX

07 and 06 A3

07 S40 T5

06 S60 T5

05 S60 R

06 Legacy GT Auto

07 Legacy GT Auto

07 Infiniti GT (I didnt test drive b/c too $$)

07 IS 250 (didnt test drive this one either b/c wouldnt spend money to get a IS 250 when I would just really want the IS 350:lol: )

Previous Volvo owner..... bought a 07 LGT the other day. Best bang for your buck. I love the car and everyone I show is just plain surprised with it the looks and power.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out:

BMW 3-Series - any options at all seem to add $10k

Audi A4 - expensive

Lexus IS 250/350 - drove both, 250 very nice, 350 loads of power, much $ and didn't feel the love.

Acura TL - decent price on non-S, no AWD

In the end, I wanted something that had a lot of comfort, power, bells and whistles, decent price, and something you wouldn't see on every street corner.

Bought Spec B in 06.

Looked at:

Acura TL

Saab 93 Aero SportCombi

That's it. Didn;t like the fact that there were 8 gazillion TLs on the road.

And the Saab drove nicely, but it was...well...a Saab.

Spec B really had no competition -- I had wanted one since I heard SOA was going to offer them. And it remains my favorite material possession of all time...

I told myself I was going to test drive a ton of cars when it came time to replace my WRX. I would spend weeks and weeks researching and reading up on things.

That didn't happen at all...

I drove a used '04 STi and had fun, then I drove a used '05 LGT Limited and was blown away at the awesomeness of the interior (compared to the STi at least). It felt just as fast, was newer and cheaper. I thought to myself, I could drop a few grand in this baby and make it handle as well as a WRX so what's the holdup? A few days later I bought a new '06 from a different dealer for the same money I was going to spend on the '05.

A CBE, Cobb AP, catless u/p, d/p, iON springs and whiteline RSB later, I couldn't be happier.

For me it was pretty much between the 2.5i and LGT. I did look @ some Mazda 6 action, never drove but my uncle had one and recommended. I have a friend @ a dealership back East where I got the car, so it was just too easy. Drove the 2.5i and was like 'woot! way better than my '95.' Then I drove the LGT and there was no turning back.

For me it was a Accord V6 coup & the G35 coup. Loved the trunk space on the Accord, but well after owning both an Accord and a Legacy (last car was a 98 egacy wagon) in the past, it wasn't enough to make me go back to a Honda. Now i reeeeeeeally love the G35 coup and would be driving one, if it had two things: A tad larger trunk. Doesn't need to be huge, but justs a bit bigger, and also if it was priced 3-4k less. It's a nice car, but with the price and the higher maintenance, the Legacy just blows it away in terms of a deal! In the end I'm really glad i have got the legacy, although i wouldn't mind picking up a used G35 coup one day to have on the side.

Cars I have considered for the LGT,

Initially they were

S60r

330xi

335xi

A4 2.0t

A3 3.2 dsg Q

But buying those new would put me out a bit further than I felt comfortable spending on a car, especailly after factoring in the upscale service costs to go along with upscale vehicle, so then I narrowed it down to

Forrester XT ( unique buuut, not my style)

STi (friends have em and love em, too much for a toy)

LGT

SpecB

Mazdaspeed6 (having become used to a near 50/50 split ALL the time till it slips, going to a 95/5 split woudl be akward to me)

G35x (great car, but no inifinity dealers up here, that and is about as much as a SpecB)

IS AWD... havent driven it yet. Not exactly appealing to me for some reason. (loved the old IS style over the new)

Top contenders are:

LGT (leaning towards)

SpecB (really want)

MS6 (seems like a great value)

My wife and I have a WRX sedan and she just crashed her civic so we were looking into the LGT wagon to replace the civic. We love subies and I have previously had the old '92 turbo legacy and drove that to the ground. They're basically the most practical, fun, reliable, and safe cars to be had for the money. Not to mention the Legacy was also car of the year in Japan for '05. So we were looking to stay within the family but need a wagon for the dog, kids, etc. The only other car that we considered was a V70R wagon. There just aren't very many performance mid-sized wagons out there and we want something reliable that won't give us any problems down the road and have to spend beaucoup $$ fixing when something breaks. The LGT wagons are already super rare and the v70r's could be even more scarce. We did however, find a V70R for pretty cheap, but we're just not volvo people and not a fan of the maintenance costs. It was tempting but in the end we were fortunate enough to have just purchased an '05 LGT LTD mt wagon from a private seller. :) We couldn't be happier!

-V70R- Pros: Very nice wagon, more of a luxury car, decent performance. Cons: 4wd is very fwd biased, weight of car, maintenance costs, community support definitely not as strong as subarus, high $$ barrier for aftermarket not to mention the cost of the actual car unless you can find used one for cheap

-Forester XT- Wife doesn't like the looks, so go figure. But I like that it's cheaper than the LGT.

-Mazda 6 wagon- no competition, do they even make a mazdaspeed6 wagon?

-Mazdaspeed 3- would be super fun, great car for amount of money, but too small

-Saab 9-5 wagon- performance not up to par

-Audi wagons- performance = meh for amount of $$, A3 too small

I had criteria

Looks good.

AWD.

Turbo.

Sedan(shoulda been wagon)

30kish

Leather

Was hoping for 6 speed

manual

That left me with the g35, s40, lgt.

S40 lost on reliability and the tiny trunk.

G35 lost because it had no stick.

LGT was missing the 6 speed.

I was considering the LGT, VW GTI, G35, Audi A3 and Saab 9-3 and 9-5.

Some of them weren't even out at the time I wanted to buy...others didn't offer awd. Basically the LGT was the best value for the money with the most potential for aftermarket tuning.

Now whether that'd be the same or not now.........I'm not so sure.

Needed to have the versatility of a wagon, and would never buy an SUV. Was driving an Accord 4 banger auto wagon and the wife was driving a Mini in 02 and then bought a 325ci in 03'. I was definitely needing something sporty to drive and when I heard about Subaru putting a detuned STI engine in a wagon......YES!!!

I did do comparison drives for sh#ts and giggles. Drove a Mazda 6 wagon; an 03' A4 2.0T w/ Sport Suspension; a Passat; a Jetta; and a Magnum.

Wasn't feeling the shift linkage in the VAG rides and the MAZDA interior left me cold. The Dodge just sucked.

Compared to the LGT all were seriously lacking in the performance department.

Bought the first LGT Wagon to hit the Eastside. It still rocks!!!!!

I looked at a G35 6-spd, an EVO MR, and an STi. Then I found this Legacy on consignment one night, was awed by the level of fit and finish, especially compared to an EVO, and I thought it was just about as nice as the G35, and then I drove it and that was it. Bought it on the spot .

I had criteria

Looks good.

AWD.

Turbo.

Sedan(shoulda been wagon)

30kish

Leather

Was hoping for 6 speed

manual

That left me with the g35, s40, lgt.

S40 lost on reliability and the tiny trunk.

G35 lost because it had no stick.

LGT was missing the 6 speed.

Are still sad about not having the 6 speed? I mean, some cars really do need a 6 speed... some don't.

Take my current car... 5 gear, 85 mph freeway, 4.5k rpm :eek:. Maybe it's not so bad, but on the tach this is like 1 o'clock.

What rpm is the leggy , at 85 mph?

car for sale. PM me!

The only competitor was my '99 sdn. But the '07 was too good looking to let pass by. I love the fact there are so few sedans on the road, and the looks I get from people is priceless. And the "What kinda car is it?."

Wow - more and more of these threads are coming back from the dead. This thing started 2 years ago!

And FWIW, there were no other contenders for $30k that did everything the LGT did. For me it was a no-brainer decision and I haven't regretted it one bit.

Yes, back from the dead! I've probably already replied to this thread last year, but here is my new, improved witty response:

It was between the Legacy GT and the new 2005 LS2 Trans Am.

Oh but wait!! Being the geniuses that they are, GM canceled the F-body 3 years prior.

So alas, there was no competition, the Legacy GT with its sharp looks, turbocharged boxer motor, and AWD was the only car I looked at.

Are still sad about not having the 6 speed? I mean, some cars really do need a 6 speed... some don't.

Take my current car... 5 gear, 85 mph freeway, 4.5k rpm :eek:. Maybe it's not so bad, but on the tach this is like 1 o'clock.

What rpm is the leggy , at 85 mph?

Some cars really do need a 6MT but not so much the 2.5T boxer. Torque delivery is very linear and steady. The two main advantages of the Subie 6MT IMHO : 1. A little bit taller final drive for economy; 2. It's a heavier duty tranny which means more durability especially if you are into modding the engine.

I looked at so many different cars. This being my first car I had no attachment to any particular brand, which provided me with little bias when searching. I wanted something that my friends weren't all driving around, and something that had the potential to put down the Mustang GT tail-gating you on the highway. The line up was:

Acura TSX: FWD :eek:

Audi A3 2.0: Great car that I would have been happy with, but I really wanted a sedan (though the LGT wagon is a looker). The engine was super smooth, and the DSG gearbox was a dream.

Audi A4 3.0: Liked the car, but it just didn't feel right for me. I needed something a little less formal. It handled well, but felt a little heavy on its feet.

BMW 325xi: Everyone and their dog seems to own one of these.

BMW 530i: I still think this would have been a good choice. But since I was buying used, it was slim pickings and the right one just didn't pop up.

Infiniti G35x: I just couldn't understand the praise the car has received. Maybe I was expecting too much from it because of all the rave reviews when it first appeared. The interior didn't seem to hold up well, but the engine was a winner.

Lexus IS300: There's something about this car I just didn't like. I don't know why, but the interior did not seem comfy, and the overall design was just off in my books. It handled well, if not a little stiff. If the roads of NJ were a little smoother, I might have taken it more seriously.

Mercedes C230 Sports Sedan: Nice interior in the latest models. Quiet, and smooth... But they aren't the most reliable cars, and the supercharged four just wasn't pumping out enough juice.

Volkswagen GLI: Fun, well built car with a really good price tag... compared to these other fine cars, that is. A great car to toss around, but the LGT was just quicker and smoother and more roomy.

I'm happy with my choice and can't wait to go Stg II-- which blows any car on the list right out of the water.

2000 2.5RS - Cool car, but not new enough or "grown up" enough.

WRX - Same thing, wanted something that seemed more adult.

BMW 325xi - Even used, price was still high.

Dodge Magnum - I liked the looks, but wanted AWD, and concerned about

reliability.

Infinty G35 - Bad reviews about handling in inclement weather, and a bit spendy.

I didn't even want a wagon, but I had my heart absolutely set on a LGT, so when I finally found this one in the right color and trans, I had to get it. Good thing the looks have grown on me, and the room is nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived