LegacyGT.com

What were the LGT's Contenders when you went car shopping?

Throughout 2003, I decided that I didn't want any more FWD, so it was either RWD or AWD, and a manual tranny. The G35 was on the list, along with a WRX wagon, Forester, and both flavors of the 330.

Later in the year, I decided to try AWD, so the list came down to a Forester XT (mixed feelings, but more room than a WRX wagon and more power), 330xi, S60R, and some mild interest in the S40 T5. G35 got knocked off when I learned that the AWD sedan only came in an auto.

At the Detroit Auto Show in January 2004, they had the new LGTs (sedan and wagon), and that made up my mind!

The original thoughts on the WRX wagon and Forester were because there were no fold-down rear seats in the Impreza sedan, and that was also an annoying thing to discover in the new Legacy. If the Impreza had fold-down seats, an STI could have been a contender (or an STI wagon!!).

I like the looks and utility of the LGT wagon, but I probably would have gone with a sedan if they had the fold-down rear seats. My wife's car is a Del Sol, so we need at least one vehicle that can carry four people and/or a fair amount of "stuff".

Ron

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe kind of a mistake on my part, but the LGT was the first car I test drove and I knew I would be buying the car as soon as I drove it. Love at first sight. Didn't even consider anything else, it was more of a battle between Subaru dealers and where I could get the best deal on the car I wanted. I know now after owning the car for 5 months that even if I did look at other vehicles I would have still ended up with the LGT. Great all around car with everything I wanted + more.

I needed something fast because my Saturn SL1 had just pooped out on me. Looked at a lot of used cars, wanted something with personality so I test drove an old baja-style bug and an old Alpha Romeo. We decided we wanted something somewhat reliable and a little more comfortable to drive.

I read a lot of good reviews on the Mazda3 so we test drove that next, thinking that it would be the one. Not a chance, thoroughly unimpressed. I had always said that if I still lived in the Northeast I'd get a Subie for the AWD so I decided to take a look at them, even though I'm now in SoCal. It was a slippery slope from there. I looked at the Impreza and Legacy and then turbo models of both. Then I looked around to see what was comparable (G35, TSX) and realized the LGT was the most car for the best value.

Somehow I convinced my wife that this was the car for us and that we were getting an incredible bargain. She admits that it is a great car, and she loves to drive it. However, I think the financial aspect of going from getting rid of a paid-off car, to looking at cheap replacement cars, to buying a rather pricey car causes her the occasional grief.

I did try the Mercedes C230 sedan with "Kompressor" and 6MT. Went like crazy and was incredibly comfortable.... too comfortable. It's wierd, but you are completely isolated from any sensations in the thing. Can't hear the engine, can't feel the acceleration -- I kept redlining the bastard 'cause I couldn't hear the revs!

Love my LGT!!!

I test-drove many, many cars before buying the LGT, from SUVs to the new Civic Si (which is a lot of fun). In the end, it came down to STI, Evo, and LGT, and I chose the Legacy because I didn't think I could live with either of the other two as a daily driver for the next 4-5 years.

My choices were:

* Aston Martin V12 Vanquish

* Lamborghini Murcielago

* Maybach 62

* Saleen S7

* Spyker C8 Double 12

* Pagani Zonda C12S

I chose the Legacy because it had AWD and I felt the seats were more comfortable. Also, when I priced in all the options, I felt the Legacy offered better bang for the buck.

Guest *Jedimaster*
My choices were:

* Lamborghini Murcielago

* Maybach 62

* Saleen S7

* Spyker C8 Double 12

* Pagani Zonda C12S

I chose the Legacy because it had AWD and I felt the seats were more comfortable. Also, when I priced in all the options, I felt the Legacy offered better bang for the buck.

:lol: Nicely done :lol:

My choices were:

* Lamborghini Murcielago

* Maybach 62

* Saleen S7

* Spyker C8 Double 12

* Pagani Zonda C12S

really? i looked at the Saleen S7, but the salesman kicked me out of the dealership when he found out I didnt make a million a year.

A few others i forgot

1. Pathfinder

2. Durango

3. Altima SER

4. land rover discovery

5. RX8

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My choices were:

* Lamborghini Murcielago

* Maybach 62

* Saleen S7

* Spyker C8 Double 12

* Pagani Zonda C12S

Will you be trading your LGT for the Bugatti Veyron? At least it has AWD.
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

Acura TL, but no torque.

Volvo V50, but no horse.

Both were pricier and the Volvo was the only other with AWD, which I hear is not reliable.

Subaru was te best value, and truthfully, now that I have the rocker panel trim and tinted windows, a nice coat of Wolfgangs, I think my black wagon looks better than both of those sleds. Next I need a summer set of 18" wheels, and the Cobb AP.

Still debating which to get first.

I love this car so much I am incredible satisfied, and happy I didn't buy that Acura. Never thought I could love something more than the Hondas I have owned, but I do. :icon_bigg

1) Corvette Z51 - Victory Red, 6 speed manual

2) Infiniti G35 Coupe

3) Acura RSX Type S

4) Psuedocontenders - The Evo was just too boy racer and the STI is ulgy boy racer in my opinion. The GTO was a querky Cavalier, with no trunk or storage space, but an amazing engine. The new Stang was suffering from rediculous price gouging, not to mention Ford's ability to Funk-up every car they design - It's a tarted-up attempt at a retro look in my opinion and has a SOLD REAR AXLE (I thought these were for pick-up trucks?!?)

LETS DISCUSS THESE CHOICES:

1) The Corvette was no competition - I practically wet myself the first time I stepped on the gas. 400 HP and 400 ft/lb of naturally aspirated V8 POWER. PRAISE THE LORD! Unfortunatly it was twice the price of a GT and would be awful in the snow (I can only have one car now and it needs to be my daily driver in central PA - and as a surgery resident, I have to go to the hospital come hell or high-water). I actually test drove this car on a whim one day - went to see a movie that was sold out, and the passed the dealership on the way home. One drive and I was ready to beg, steal, and cheat to get one. The second this orthopaedic surgery residency is done and I'm making some real money, I'm leaving my deposit at the Chevy dealer. - You'll know when I do because you'll see the smoke from my RWD burnouts - God help those Goodyear Eagles.

2) The Infiniti G35 Coupe should have been the car I am driving - I wanted a coupe, and loved the way it looked. The interior was great and the brakes, ride and handling are practially perfect. Unfortunatly, I didn't like the power of that big V6 very much - almost 40 HP more than my legacy GT on paper, but you'd never know by seat of the pants feel - The rush of the turbo in the GT puts a stupid grin on my face everytime I wind it up. The price of the Infiniti was about 5 grand too high in my opinion too (which made it more than I'd want to pay for a car right now, and if I'm gonna break the bank, I may as well go all the way and get the Vette - right?). There is WAY MORE bang for the buck in the GT. Even though I tend to prefer coupes, the GT is wonderfully styled for a sedan - MUCH NICER than the G35 sedan which I wouldn't even consider. The G35's RWD would suck in the snow too, especially the cool G's with the 18's and summer tires. In conclusion, my Subaru is almost as good looking, way more practical, more fun to drive, faster, and almost 10 grand cheaper. - No brainer

3) Acura RSX Type S - all I can say about this car is REDLINE - snick - REDLINE - snick. What a sweet little gearbox, and what fun it was winding the snot out of the VTEC. For some reason, I loved that car's interior - The only reason I considered it was because I sat in it at the Auto Show and was shocked by how nice it was. The seats were perfect for my backside and all the controls couldn't have been closer if they were in my shirt pocket. Too bad there's NO torque to be found anywhere. Handling is super crisp when driving it at 9/10's and below. Unfortunatly, once you push the handling envelope beyond 9/10's, understeer from the front wheel drive sets in. I had enough of that with my old MX-6. It also looks like a chick car and is pretty small. Hell, the Vette had more luggage space. It also gets it's doors BLOWN off by a Legacy GT (9000 RPM redline or not). If they sold it for 17 grand, it would have been a much tougher decision.

IN CONCLUSION:

I love my legacy and am glad I didn't get an Infiniti or Acura RSX. I still, and will continue to, lust for a new Vette. Unfortunatly, the vette is just too expensive (right now) and too impractical as my only car. I can't even imagine what the new Z06 is like. I never though I'd say something like this, but I think more HP than the standard Vette may be unncessary. I could easily scare the beJESUS out of myself on a daily basis with 400 HP in a small RWD car!

I always imagined that in the future I'd drive something like the BMW M5. Having my Legacy has made me realize that a supersedan like an M5 would be a waste...I'll keep driving a daily driver like the Legacy GT regardless of how much I'm making. I love the performance, style, comfort, regardless of the price, and could care less if the badge on my car says Subaru or BMW/Mercedes. I'll also have enough left in the bank for something like a new Vette (together they'd equal the price of the new M5). That would leave me with a sweet, all-season daily driver and a sunny day toy for romps on the back roads.

The wifey will have to get the badass SUV I guess....

My requirements were AWD, decent power, MT, and a reasonably refined interior. These cars were on my short list:

VW Passat W8 6-spd

BMW 325xi/330xi (probably used if I went with the 330)

Jaguar X-type

Audi S4 (used B5 version)

Porsche 996 C4 (used '99 or so)

The only one I actually drove was the Passat W8, and although it's a very nice car with a great engine, it's very heavy and handled like a boat. Also, the clutch was difficult to work in stop and go driving. The 330xi was probably the next choice after the LGT, but I couldn't justify the price difference. The X-type is a pretty car, but I haven't read any really positive reviews of it, and it struck me as more style than substance. The B5 S4 hasn't been made since 2001 (possibly '02), and I really didn't like the idea of buying a four-year old Audi, after having a lot of reliability problems with my A4. The 996 C4 was a pipedream, but there were used ones around for mid-$30's; I just decided it wasn't practical as a daily driver, and I'm sure it would have been pricy to maintan.

Inifniti G35 Sport package

BMW 330i Sport Package

Lexus IS350 - sport Package (had a preorder in on this and waited six months)

Volvo S60R

Acura TL/TSX

Summary:

G35 - pretty nice car with the sport package, good motor, auto tranny not too bad (Legacy's is better IMHO). Good interior room. Fit and Finish was okay for the '05 and '06 models. Great handling with the sp. Crappy gas mileage put it out of the running for me. Car was gonna run me about $35,500 so the increased insurance costs and extra gas (crappy gas mileage on the car - same as Legacy's), would have made it just as expensive over 5 years as the 330i or IS350.

330i - actually placed an order from one, only to find out a week later that the car is going to be replaced in roughly 18 months with a 335i with 310 HP and comfort access as standard, all for 1-2K more than a 330i now. I was going to pay 39710 for my car plus taxes and tags, so what is an extra grand in a year or two? Cancelled my order and used my aunts Executive VIP discount and got my GT for $1800 under invoice, which wound up being about 14k less than the 330i. Technically, I bought the Legacy to "hold me over" under the 335 comes out, but with as happy as I am so far with the Legacy, I might just be a Subaru owner for a long time to come. Now if only they'd add three key features to the Legacy - Fold down rear seat, Driver seat/outside mirror memory, steering wheel mounted audio controls, and a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel attached to the driver seat memory (okay, that's four things). A little better stereo would be nice too (McIntosh anyone?)

Lexus IS350, nice car, but it was just too damn small for me. I kept hitting my head on the headliner and while I was exiting the car. The back seat wasn't too bad. I actually think the seats in the GT are more comfortable (at least for me). Car was fast and handled pretty well, but for the price (especially considering the size), the 330i was a much better choice for me. The 330i with the sport package outhandled the IS by a significant margin in my opinion, plus the 330i seats were my hands down favorite of every car I drove. I felt instantly at home in the 330i sport, with the Legacy being my next favorite for driver comfort. The IS also has poor visibility all around in the car, with huge blind spots created by the C pillars out back. Also, the car has very little glass to it, so I just didn't feel like I had good visibilty out of the car.

Volvo S60R. Nice car, good power. I thought it handled pretty well in 6/10 to 7/10 driving. I hear it really degrades when you push it harder though. Backseat was useless and it was pretty expensive. Easy to rule out.

Acura TL. Not in the same handling/fun to drive league as all the other cars. Good value for your money though. I really didn't think that the materials/fit and finish of the interior were all that great though. The car felt kind of cheap to me, plue the cars are EVERYWHERE. Driver visibilty is poor out the back

Acura TSX - this would be a terrific car with more HP. Say like 250 or so. Great handling, better fit and finish than the TL. Really fun to drive. A perfect balance of practicality, handling, and features for the money. Make this puppy RWD (or AWD with a rear bias) and bump up the horsepower and this car would be amazing. Lack of power really killed it for me though. Honday reliability tossed in too.

I test drove the Mazda 6S grand sport, and was very pleasantly surpised at how well the car drove for a FWD vehicle. Great suspension and the put Pirelli PZero Nero tires on the car. Shame the interior just looked so damn tacky and the body looks a little kiddish, cheap to me. Mazda definitely has made some great strides with the car though, especially giving you so much for about 26 K.

The Legacy was the first car I test drove of this batch, and I had the opportunity to thrash one at my local dealership. I just couldn't believe how fast and fun the car was to drive. It just stuck out in my mind as a great car all through my purchase decision. The 330i was technically the "perfect" car for me, but the Legacy was a hands down better choice for me at this point in my life (still paying off student loans, etc). I'll see what I want to do when the BMW 335 comes out, but I'm really loving the Legacy so far. maybe Subaru will address my few concerns in the next few years (real Spec B like they have in Australia for instance with the sport shift auto). Just add the couple of extra "luxury" features that a 30K plus car should have (seat/mirror/steering wheel memory and such) and I'll probably wind up buying another legacy. Oh, and get some better gas mileage for Pete's sake. A new 505HP Z06 corvette gets better highway mileage than my legacy (I'm only seeing about 20MPG 60%highway) right now. Ridiculous for a 4 banger (even with the turbo). I knew going in that the car would get SUV like mileage, but I'm really hoping that after break in (I'm at 920 miles right now) I'll see more like 23-24 MPG with my mostly highway commutes.

...the 330i seats were my hands down favorite of every car I drove.

...(I'm only seeing about 20MPG 60%highway) right now.

I will agree that there is nothing ike BMW seats. The '99 323i we owned was more comfortable tahn our sofa, yet still very supportive. We once drove 13 hours straight from ATL to Cleveland.... got out of the car and felt like we'd just gone around the block! Amazing -- but not $15K amazing :icon_neut

As for mileage, You might want to take that thing in for a check!! I've gotten 26-27MGP consistently on the "highway" and that is with very agressive dirivng (lots of 3rd-gear passing on 2-lane roads, etc.). Of course I only get 14MPG in town :icon_bigg

There's no doubt for me that the 330i is the only car "better" than the LGT for less than $50K, period!

"There's no doubt for me that the 330i is the only car "better" than the LGT for less than $50K, period!"

Before you draw this conclusion, read the review of the Legacy GT that appears at

http://www.epinions.com/content_167817612932

Here's a guy who owned both the 330ci (for 3 years) and the LGT -- and he makes a compelling, five-star, argument that the LGT is the better choice.....

STi/Evo (too, uh, "youthy")

FXT (almost-if the LGT hadn't have just come out, probably would have bought this)

Acura TL (nice, but FWD)

Mazda 6 (no Mazdaspeed 6 out yet)

Prius (Really! I was trading in my Sequoia and 40mpg sounded pretty good)

Saab-BMW-Volvo (9-3/5-40/60):icon_bigg (none of them fit what I was looking for- nice cars, but hate the snob image)

Ultimately I decided I wanted something AWD, fairly refined, not-ostentatious, seats 4-5, and fast! (sleeper). The LGT was perfect.

In a year when my warranty is up, it'll be faster than perfect! :icon_bigg

tom :)

"There's no doubt for me that the 330i is the only car "better" than the LGT for less than $50K, period!"

Before you draw this conclusion, read the review of the Legacy GT that appears at

Wow, that epinions review makes a guy feel pretty good about the LGT:icon_bigg . It makes me all the more excited about putting on the JDM Spec B suspension I just purchased.

I've always said I think the LGT is the best AWD sport sedan under $40K, and that with a few thousand dollars in mods, I'd rather have it than a 330xi or an S4. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has that opinion.

Archived