LegacyGT.com

OEM Sidefeed to Topfeed TGV Conversion (05/06 to 07+ Conversion)

I had a similar question during my motor rebuild scare a few months back.  My shop of 15yrs, Surgeline, (formerly Cobb Surgeline for many years), told me the same thing. Cobb has updated the software so tuners aren't even able to get to areas that they previously had access to.  

• Like 2

So Cobb has turned into a simp lol. For a company that used to be at the forefront they are really spitting in the face of all their hardcore fans. Only reason I bought this fucking thing was cause the tuner said they needed it to tune my stage 3 cams, now I buy one and its fuckin useless....... I legit have been waiting years to tune this damn car.... 

I wonder how they are enforcing it. For example can a tuner just not use the latest software and just use an older version that works the old ways, or is cobb using some kind of online registration/verification kind of bullshit. 

Either way seems like cobb sold out to the trendy kids with stickers for hp. Cause what about the subarus that are pure race and dont give a damn about registration and inspection cause they don't drive it on the street? Has cobb left the racing world? No one at the track is gonna care about tgvs etc. or use software made for ham and eggers. 

EcuTek is software.  Opensource is a "copy" of the original EcuTeK software.  You use a cable, just like a VAG-COM and a laptop.  A USB dongle is your license to the software.  Pro tuning only.

You flash and log with a laptop.  OEM ECU.  ECU can be reverted back to stock and the tune removed.  EcuTek is a UK based company.  Street Legal?  Tuning is not street legal thats why Cobb wont let you have any fun. 

My old tuner is a HUGE EcuTeK dealer.  We tuned thousands of Subies EcuTeK.  Spider Pig @LosAngelesLGT car is tuned EcuTek. 

https://www.delicioustuning.com/

Oh, and Cobb did not sell out.  The EPA was going to shut them down.  In order to save the business they had to make MAJOR changes.  It happened to many companies.  I paid the fines and then closed the doors to my shop rather than "sell out" and play their games anymore. 

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

I'm just mad that I spent 6 or 7 hundred dollars on a device that basically went obsolete and rendered useless several years later.... 

So if I am passing an inspection with an aftermarket tune, how does that work? 

hmm efi is listed as a dealer for delicious tuning, maybe ecutek, I will see what they say. 

How did this just slip by everyone... I never thought I would see the day where a man in the good ol USA can't work on his own automobile, smh ... wtf did I miss LOL! 

It has been ongoing for many years. The big hit started back in 2016/2017.  You cant even buy a down pipe in Cali.  No manufactuerer will ship the parts into Cali.  Cali sued and almost put K&N out of business and the ball was rolling. 

America is far from free. 

As for inspections, if your in a CARB state (currently Cali plus 14 other states and DC) you are technically f'd.  Back to stock or find someone willing to go to jail to pass your car for say $1000.

Easy answer for all of you is give me your cars.  I live in WV where there is NO inspection and catless is not a problem.  TGVs?  Is that a dish at Applebees?  

Edited by m sprank
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, m sprank said:

Esy answer for all of you is give me your cars.  I live in WV where there is NO inspection and catless is not a problem.  TGVs?  Is that a dish at Applebees?  

It's like the chili's triple play but with avocado ranch instead of southwestern. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tehnation said:

I think the issue with the 02-05 wrx is that our plastic intake manifolds won't bolt to it or did I get that wrong?

STi manifold can be modified to use LGT TGV's.  Never tried with a bug eye set of TGV's or manifold that I recall.  Dont have my bug eye anymore so I can not check myself.  But something tells me its not a direct swap.  There is only 1 gasket made for the metal manifolds to TGV connection, the plastic manifolds use o-rings. 

Im leaning towards ecutek myself, I just need to find a tuner close by.  Seems you can connect that dongle ecutek has with a tablet or phone, which is basically what a accessport is, a handheld thinga ma jiggy, but a tablet or using ur phone seems to make a lot more sense, less devices, and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your 650 dollar paperweight.... 

26 minutes ago, m sprank said:

I don't need to switch tgvs or a retune but I love a challenge and I'm just trying to help with the topic of conversation.

Ecutek is an excellent solution...until it's not. Also not an option for any places that check CVN, just as you found living and working in Cali.

Basically, any person that has emissions testing is SOL with any options.

I assumed they had an "app" now.  I just have no experience with it.  But good to know. 

$375 appears to get you the EcuTek Bluetooth Programming Kit. 

Compatibility

iOS 10.2 or higher required.

The ECU Connect Vehicle Interface has been tested and verified to work with the following devices:

• iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5
  • iPad Pro (9.7in)
  • iPad Pro (12.9in)
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad Air
  • iPad mini 2
  • iPad (4th generation)

Latest devices have not yet been fully tested, but they are expected to work.

Android 5 (Lollipop) or higher required.
The device must have Bluetooth connectivity.
Edited by m sprank

3 minutes ago, rhino6303 said:

I don't need to switch tgvs or a retune but I love a challenge and I'm just trying to help with the topic of conversation.

Ecutek is an excellent solution...until it's not. Also not an option for any places that check CVN, just as you found living and working in Cali.

Basically, any person that has emissions testing is SOL with any options.

I already offered to take all their cars so they dont have to worry.  WV has no emissions testing. 

• Haha 1

From what I can see my state only wants catalytic converters that meet california standards? That looks like what was affected by CARB in NY, and thats a visual thing I think. 

People should look at what parts of CARB actually affect their state cause it looks like its not a full blown cali situation, states seem to pick certain aspects of CARB , like ny making CARB compliant catalytic converters required, but other than that I don't see anything else that relates to CARB for my state. 

I think it has more to do with if you want to get your car tuned at all, there are less and less tuners who are willing or able to program away CELs generated by TGV deletes. This is what I'm trying to get ahead of in my rebuild. Seems like the easiest way right now is to keep the stock TGVs, delete them the flaps, and get a top feed conversion rail. Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread - playing catch up.

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Good news, I mounted up my '05 WRX TGV's to my '05 LGT manifold and 4 out of 6 of the bolt holes line up. The 4 corner holes line up ("O"), the 2 that don't are inside ("X"). If I had to choose, the corner 4 are the ones I'd choose to line up. I'm posting from my cell phone so apologies that I wasn't able to resize the image.

The inside manifold holes overlap the TGV holes. It's feasible to fill those holes and tap new ones.

I wonder whether JB Weld would suffice or whether I should bring it to a shop to weld. I'm not equipped to weld aluminum at home.

PXL_20230218_050221632~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

the 02-05 wrx is the 2.0 liter right? and the 2.5 is the sti? Trying to find a set at the junkyard. That might be easier for me, If I can grab a set for 100 bucks or so , then like you said find a machine shop. Cause I butchered and frankensteined my fuel rail to get it to work with the top feed. 

Otherwise I would need another side feed fuel rail, thats probably cheap at the junkyard. Get some side feed tgvs or find my old ones, average cost for fuel rail conversion kit is like 200 bucks, but they don't come with any plumbing, so I guess I wouldn't need my fuel rails cause I would have to plumb it regardless.... ah wtf, any writeups on how to setup a topfeed conversion? 200 bucks and some plumbing isn't bad actually, probably need like 100-200 in hoses, adapters, etc., depending if you use rubber or braided steel lines.  Or did some company make our lives easy and has a fueling kit that we can just by with everything we need? 

The center holes not fitting is the norm. On a metal manifold you can port the inner holes and have just enough meat left to securely mount. With the plastic manifold you have the brass inserts giving support to the mount holes. In order to port the inserts must go. Then it is my understanding that you do not have enough meat left to mount.

I am not a fan of conversion rails as I have experienced leaks. 

If tuners wont use the software, the Govt got to them too.  Meaning they are liable for the changes, not the owner. Thats what they did to manufacturers and shops.  Previously any mods to the car were the liability of the owner. But Cali proved in court that the manufacturer and installer could be held liable not just the owner.  What did they say about the Nazis?  First they came for the... then they came for the ...  then they came for me. 

Edited by m sprank