Timing belt issues!

Found the problem!

WTF!!!?!??!?!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!?!?!?!

Passenger exhaust cam

20220515_121647.thumb.jpg.c79930292f5af5e073cf707f9476e9ca.jpg

Driver side exhaust cam

20220515_121652.thumb.jpg.a7ade1730b220d084028c677df95cfb6.jpg

The pin broke!!! So cam was being held in by the bolt alone and could spin freely.

emailed briancrower to see about getting a new passenger exhaust cam or getting mine serviced.

Some kind of fuckery was going on, not sure if the guides caused it or the cam gear bolt was loose or who knows. Got to pull the head to see for sure whats going on. But at least I know the issue, hopefully all the forces between the valve and piston was dispersed by the free spinning cam!

This makes me want to LS swap my legacy instead of motor build.

All the weird failures I think I would need and entirely brand new everything not just a short block and head job to feel comfortable

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

You can never go wrong with an LS motor, cheap, tons of them around, tons of aftermarket parts.... its like the best, most supported and most popular motor in america.... What haven't u seen an LS in? lol

Difficult to keep AWD but I've seen it done. Takes a setup from a Trailblazer SS I believe where the front diff is in the oil pan or something. I'm convinced that an LV1/LV3 V6 (6 cyl LT) plus boost is the answer. Short enough to keep Subaru drive line with an adapter.

This makes me want to LS swap my legacy instead of motor build.

All the weird failures I think I would need and entirely brand new everything not just a short block and head job to feel comfortable

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Just saying, something else most have happened to cause the pin to break. My heads have over 303,700 miles on them. Except for the seals, my heads have all the parts they came with. These engines can last.

There was a LS swap at the Wicked Big Meet a few years back, but I think it was in an Impreza.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Its hard to say what damaged the pins, the springs and cams are upgraded(BC stage 3 cams, and springs), so who knows where something went south.
Can you remember if the cam gear was hard to install? If you had to use force, that's most likely did it.

cam gear went on easily, and I have removed and installed the cam gears dozens of times at this point, nothing out of the norm. The cam gear has no damage other than some marks from the nub of the pin scraping the back of the gear. Other than that I don't know what caused enough force to make that pin shear, I figured the plastic gear would shatter before the pin sheering, could just be bad steel.

Hopefully the BC tech people might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Biggest thing I am trying to figure out is if the noise came before the pin breaking or was it the pin breaking that lead to the noise!?

Edited by Tehnation

cam gear went on easily, and I have removed and installed the cam gears dozens of times at this point, nothing out of the norm. The cam gear has no damage other than some marks from the nub of the pin scraping the back of the gear. Other than that I don't know what caused enough force to make that pin shear, I figured the plastic gear would shatter before the pin sheering, could just be bad steel.

Hopefully the BC tech people might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Biggest thing I am trying to figure out is if the noise came before the pin breaking or was it the pin breaking that lead to the noise!?

The noise is probably from the cam gear issue. Hopefully you didn't bend any valves. I'm curious if your exhaust cam still rotated with the sheared pin or if the gear just spun on the cam.

Anyone know valve lash specs? Cant search site with google for some reason.

I, too, have not been able to search this site with google the last couple weeks! Glad I'm not the only one experiencing that!

Sorry to hear about your belt troubles. I'm about to tackle mine and this is not confidence-inspiring

MILKRUN  - Click Here

ugh, I can't get one of the bolts out of the camshaft cap. Don't know why its stuck in there, I definitely didn't torque them down that much, something like 15lbs i think, whatever was in fsm. Any tricks for getting one of these bolts out? I can't cut the thing off cause I don't think you can buy a new cap, I believe they come with the cylinder head.

I, too, have not been able to search this site with google the last couple weeks! Glad I'm not the only one experiencing that!

Sorry to hear about your belt troubles. I'm about to tackle mine and this is not confidence-inspiring

I'm pretty sure Google changed how it indexes pages and the old forum software is incompatible. If you click on "show omitted results" you'll see the other stuff that google now thinks are duplicates.

Bing is a little better for now, but not sure how long that will last.

My 06 had the timing belt jump a couple of teeth because PO had the guides too tight :mad:. Luckily no damage. Jumped 3 or 4 teeth IIRC.

See my first post here (link below) for the specs on valve clearance. I recall target is 0.35mm for exhaust and 0.20mm for intake. I always shoot for 0.37mm for exhaust as the valves do get tighter over time.

-->https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-turn-adjust-valve-clearances-242071.html?t=242071