LegacyGT.com

KYB strut Question

So, I'm just going the KYB route for now for struts all around. Save some money while I consider where I'm going with my "build" lol...

So, for all those who went this route, should I just get the loaded KYB strut plus assembly, and just swap them in like that? Or, get the Excel G struts, take the old OEM Springs and get new tophats, bellows, and use the old housings?

Should I be looking at better springs?

I know the loaded is easy. I just don't want to get the loaded assembly just to find out the springs are crap, or the tophats suck.

Thanks again!

Unless you are looking to lower the car or add spring stiffness to the ride, factory springs are just fine to reuse. If you have spring compressors and are not afraid of tackling the job, I would just get new top hats and struts and swap the springs over. I have never personally tried the loaded strut option as typically customers want to keep cost down.

Just get the excels , they are factory spec replacements

Get KYB front and rear mounts, reuse your boots and front bump stops.

Saggy but spacers for the rear while you are in there.

I did just what I'm suggesting 177k mile stock springs, ride is great. It's certainly not stiff but way better than the blown ones lol.

Also a nice smooth ride and I don't cringe when I see a pot hole, speed bump , or dirt road.

Not a hard job at all can rent spring compressor at autozone for free, or just never bring them back and it's only a 50 dollar deposit.

You will probably have a little trouble with some bolts here and there.

I recommend a can of PB blaster and the 40 dollar harbor freight electric impact

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Have 250k with the same springs transferred to now two sets of KYB struts.

Ticked off the last shop cause they are used to installing loaded sets these days.

Just didn't have the time to do it myself at that point.

The biggest transformation was placing upgraded anti sway bars front and rear.

Just get the excels , they are factory spec replacements

Get KYB front and rear mounts, reuse your boots and front bump stops.

Saggy but spacers for the rear while you are in there.

I did just what I'm suggesting 177k mile stock springs, ride is great. It's certainly not stiff but way better than the blown ones lol.

Also a nice smooth ride and I don't cringe when I see a pot hole, speed bump , or dirt road.

Not a hard job at all can rent spring compressor at autozone for free, or just never bring them back and it's only a 50 dollar deposit.

You will probably have a little trouble with some bolts here and there.

I recommend a can of PB blaster and the 40 dollar harbor freight electric impact

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What are Saggy Butt spacers? Ok... I see them. Why? And what size? Lol...

The why is no saggy butt with a load of cargo, the size is up to You. I converted My OBXT to the KYB struts with Subaru Legacy wagon springs and needed 1" spacers for a level stance loaded plus full gas.

When I went from the OEM shocks to the Excel's on stock spring in my wagon, it raised the rear up about 1" unloaded.

The Excel's are a direct OEM replacement but they are a better shock than OEM.