LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

Posted (edited)

How much is that particular bolt? I ask only because if it is more than a couple dollars, you could always just opt for a mixer pack of SS hex cap screws off Amazon for not a lot more, then you have spares for all sorts of things.

Oh not expensive at all, maybe a couple of bucks.. yeah I was thinking of getting SS hex bolts instead. Just have to get that one out first. I already made a cut on its head with a metal saw hoping I can loosen it with a big screw driver, might have to use the Dremel too. I hate to sacrifice the EV, but thankfully I got a brand new one either way..

I also eat and drink anti-sieze, so that helps as well.

😅

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So the newer 20x compressor is installed with the same amount of fresh PAG oil drained from the old 255 compressor.

I went to Home Depot and called a few hardware stores, but had no luck finding the two Expansion Valve bolts. It needs to be a certain size that's not commonly sold in single units, and those that did have them, sell you only packs of 100 bolts. I will have to order them online. Bolt Depot has them for less than 0.50 cents each: Bolt size is M5-0.8, product number 6452.

The bolt is about 4cm long, but ideally you want to get a 45mm long bolt to engage in all threads to the back of the aluminum block behind the EV, especially if the beginning threads of the bolt were damaged, (as was my case), so the newer 4.5cm bolts should work perfectly.

Once we get the hardware, a new A/C belt and all components are back on the car, lines flushed, this thing should be ready for freon and cold A/C.

image.thumb.png.f731f277c866a38de35e9ed9d3cf8bbd.png

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screws-Stainless-Metric-Machine/dp/B09LYMSCY2/ref=sr_1_10?crid=39WD4PGBWAPGJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.M16Gib9kKIcgJC8rTvo3Jc6w04XdgNw6KysLeAhc3HC0Mg66WilY6b48TO5lkm4Bk-IfJY9f41OIWJm-A5UD-ynD4QUV7vvYARRtFMaQaLujj_OQ2MpdNQMAVKfCcXEnVlrfMxewDnHzRYKU5dFsnFRahN6gFNxk7wVqKtFPB3gGGDzAxef1Q6MbBWZrW3qwPX5h8t3-ImKWwhiXOwu5plU768Jb1OvWiP1zpztfKqQ.dHpwLA_i47kw8PCC-cpkSqvi6vwvQ6ZKT198-KFhYmo&dib_tag=se&keywords=m5%2Bx%2B45mm&qid=1715967044&sprefix=m5%2Bx%2B45mm%2Caps%2C340&sr=8-10&th=1

Just sayin. You'll have them tomorrow maybe? It's a couple days to get to me, but that's a border problem. I can usually get them from amazon.ca next day or whatever. 

My local hardware stores, even here in metricland seldom have a good selection of cap head screws, or any other metric fastener for that matter, so it's usually Fastenal or Amazon.

• Like 1

How are the salvage yards around there? I’d be willing to bet that bolt is the same for just about every Subaru of that era. They’d probably just let you have the bolt if they have it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blackobxt said:

How are the salvage yards around there? I’d be willing to bet that bolt is the same for just about every Subaru of that era. They’d probably just let you have the bolt if they have it.

We used to have like three, and they closed. Just called the only one left and they don't have any Subies '05-'09. There's others but too far from my house. Yeah, no.. for that I may just get them from Amazon.

Edited by RumblyXT

Posted (edited)

By the way, do you guys know how much oil the compressor takes? 

From the research I did, I found a website that stated to put the same amount of drained oil from unit being replaced with new fresh oil into the compressor and the FSM seems to states about the same.

However, measuring from the bottle I put the drained oil in, it seems to be close to 13 oz of oil and that's what I put back in. Did I put too much oil in it?

Oddly enough, the evaporator when replaced also take 3.9 oz..

Anyone knows the HVAC System Total Oil Capacity?? I don't want to overfill it with oil that it may damage the compressor..

image.png.017121db43d169418744681cc6de15db.png

Edited by RumblyXT

1 hour ago, RumblyXT said:

By the way, do you guys know how much oil the compressor takes? 

From the research I did, I found a website that stated to put the same amount of drained oil from unit being replaced with new fresh oil into the compressor and the FSM seems to states about the same.

However, measuring from the bottle I put the drained oil in, it seems to be close to 13 oz of oil and that's what I put back in. Did I put too much oil in it?

Oddly enough, the evaporator when replaced also take 3.9 oz..

Anyone knows the HVAC System Total Oil Capacity?? I don't want to overfill it with oil that it may damage the compressor..

image.png.017121db43d169418744681cc6de15db.png

I believe it is 150mL of oil for the system. If you look at any new compressor, they are prefilled woith the proper amount and it states 150mL.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rhino6303 said:

I believe it is 150mL of oil for the system. If you look at any new compressor, they are prefilled woith the proper amount and it states 150mL.

Hmm.. I think you are correct.

What throws me off is why so much oil came out the old compressor (close to 13 oz!) if the total system takes but 5.1 oz.. 

I found this info and now I’m not sure if I may need to redo the whole thing due to having 13 oz of oil in the newer compressor..

IMG_1236.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Wait.. I figured it out.. I’m reading the freaking measuring container wrong! 🤦🏻‍♂️😄 Phew…

I understand now.. the old compressor had in it only maybe 1.5 oz (not 13 oz). I was thinking the first mark was 20 oz.. the O/0 being next to the 2 totally threw me off lol..

We’re good.. All I have to do is add about  3.7 oz of oil to the evaporator.

IMG_1222.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT

This whole total system capacity has me overthinking this.. I just want to make sure I get it right.

When pulling a vacuum, will some of the oil come out as well to the pump, or will its viscosity keep it in the system?

I remember talking to the A/C shop guy a couple of days ago, he mentioned for a replacement compressor, "put 4 oz of oil in it" (which didn't sound correct).. From the research, everyone states the replacement compressor should have around the amount of oil the old compressor had.. 

Research I found states Total Oil System Capacity: 5.2 oz / 154 ml

Compressor (add same amount of what old one had in the new one):  ~1.3oz / 38.4 ml

Evaporator:  ~3.9 oz / 114 ml

Condenser: 0.24 oz / 7.1ml

Lines: 0.03 / 1ml

Equals: 5.47 oz / 162 ml

• Like 1

Better that than to be lazy and half ass a job.

Do it right and all, but I can assure you +\- 0.2 oz of oil either way won’t break your A/C!

Hope your brother in law appreciates the hard work you’re putting into this for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackobxt said:

You are replacing the evaporator right?

Yes.. every major A/C component is getting replaced: Compressor, Condenser and Evaporator.

Lines will get flushed with solvent as well. Hopefully should be working/functioning as new when I’m done. 

Posted (edited)

I have to say, it’s probably a good idea to remove and clean the Blower every 10 years or so, it accumulates a LOT of dust. That thing was filthy.. there’s no way the cabin air filter can prevent all small dust particles from coming in. Inevitable, one ends up breathing some of the outside dust eventually.. probably important to replace the filter more often too.

I cleaned the whole Blower as best as I could, removed the old foam seal/adhesive and applied new weather striping foam seal (only $4.67 at Walmart!) Thanks BlackOBXT.

If you need to do this, buy the weather-stripping foam that’s 3/4” wide and 3/8 thick.

Amazon bolts should be here tomorrow!

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning. I have a question.

Thinking about what I did before, I filled up the compressor with oil through the suction port (big hole), and then rotated the shaft a few times to lubricate it.

However, I remember seeing before to introduce the oil through the high port (small hole) of the compressor. I’m not sure if that meant with the compressor on the bench or it installed in the car after the vacuum has been pulled.

Did I make a mistake? I don’t mind removing the compressor and doing this again (introducing the oil on the correct port/smaller hole), just want to make sure the compressor is properly lubricated before running.

Edit: Ok, disregard. I found the answer to my question on minute 16:40 of this awesome video. 

^^Hands down the absolute best video of this whole service.

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Some things I wish I knew before I tackled this and some I’ve analyzed which may help you if you ever need to do this:

The plastic bracket that protects the evaporator pipes has a bottom screw which can ONLY be removed with an offset screwdriver. It also has a screw which you won’t be able to see all the way in between the two pipes as they connect to the evaporator towards the driver feet. You’ll need a long screwdriver to reach it and will probably have to feel it with your fingers to engage it because it’s impossible to see when mounted.

These are exactly the metric socket bolts (M5-45) you’ll need if you wear out the T25 bolts which hold the Expansion Valve to the Evaporator pipes. Thanks to KZJonny for the link.
I still recommend removing the pipes and plastic brackets all together, then removing the EV and surrounding grommet afterwards outside of the car. The EV has some sort of semi soft tar that has to be wrapped around the round valve of the EV. I’m not sure of its function, maybe insulation?

When hooking up the pipes to the Evaporator, notice the gray piece of foam surrounding the pipes (it’s glued to the plastic bracket hole), but you HAVE to make sure it doesn’t interfere with the grooves of the pipes when mounting them to the Evaporator or it won’t seal properly and it may leak freon there. Once connected there’s no way to visually inspect this area since the plastic bracket will be covering the pipes. 

Bottom view:

IMG_1306.jpeg

Side view from passenger:

IMG_1304.jpeg

Notice the grooves and gray foam which may interfere with a good seal to the Evaporator:

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1299.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1