LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

I am referencing the parameters as available on my AP.

But the data is all the same, so it’s just the softwares way of presenting it.

They may have different names?? But yeah, I would think they should definitely be there.

Thanks blackobxt. Yes I remember you posted this before.

I was guiding myself by your post, adding the RR parameters from what I have available on my RR logger (which is the whole list I posted on page 34), until I realized some of them were missing. Hence I was wondering if they were maybe listed under a different name.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I can't wait brother.. been handling 99 things and a half, but it's all good, nothing I haven't been through before. 

It's definitely coming.. I have been driving the car out of boost around the area, hoping the computer learns more with this until I can tune it.

9 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

How many miles now?

Not much really.. maybe less than 2 miles driven so far. I didn't really want to drive it around town since there's quite a lot of traffic where I live by and at times you have to accelerate coming from a stop at certain intersections to cross safely. This is not like TN where people are more kind and respectful of traffic laws. Hence I just been doing light drives around the blocks not taking the car into the main streets.

But how much driving should take for the ECU to learn while the car's driven out of boost?

I basically have the same mods I had in the past, but of course the ej20x is a 2.0L not a 2.5L, and has higher compression than the 255, even more reason why I've been driving it very conservative, not pushing it at all. Max I've done is 25-30 mph.. I don't want to mess up all the work I did in this motor and since I don't have a previous reference, I'm not sure what could be consider a safe speed/acceleration for it at least for now.

Dude, my modded (bigger turbo, downpipe etc) outback was driven un-tuned for about two years. Most boost it saw was 3lbs and the gauge would sound a warning. One of those un-tuned drives was moving from Cheyenne to Peoria 1,000mi at 80mph. Right before I had it tuned I did a compression and leak down when I did new plugs and it was just as perfect as it was when I put the motor together 20,000mi prior. There really isn’t enough load out of boost to hurt the motor unless the tune is absolute garbage. 

Just don’t go crazy. Pussy foot it around. I originally put my car together for my wife who loved it till we moved to az and she decided she didn’t want to push a clutch in stop and go traffic.  She doesn’t care about going fast at all so having it tuned just wasn’t a big priority so I put a boost gauge in the car that would sound an alarm if the car went over 7psi of boost. Now it’s my car and things have changed dramatically, I just wish I knew it was going to be mine from the start because I would have built it a bit differently 

• Like 1

I gave the car a well deserved wash yesterday.

Brought it to work today so the ECU could learn even more, so far about 13 miles or so, obviously keeping it out of boost. 
The engine is behaving great, feels very smooth. Gas mileage even improved to 17.4 mpg, VS the measly 13.1 I used to get on the 255 before..

70077F79-EA31-4EDB-9D8F-1646B046E8DA.jpeg

815F98BE-0349-4DBF-A010-434CADC793C5.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

Don't know, I have to run RR again. The wife is currently doing a Masters online and using the PC in the morning everyday now.

I have been unlucky in the sense I have tried installing RR on both my kids PCs as well as my old laptop and was unsuccessful to run RR on neither one due to that dreaded Java 16 Runtime error..

The kids got Chromebooks now for school, but I'm not sure if RR can run on that OS.

But regardless I'm happy with how the engine is performing so far.

Edited by RumblyXT

Coming back from work last night I could hear a weird "wua wua wua wua" scraping kind of noise from the front wheels (maybe the Left side) and clicking/clunking sounds when turning the wheels. It was quite discernible at low speeds.

Look like I really need to take care of the CV axles/front wheel bearings pronto. Thankfully I already got that set of overhauled oem axles almost ready. It never ends.. haha

And the Left fender still gets hotter than the right side. This has me puzzled.. Fans turn on with A/C, no problem. The only thing around there that could get hot is the transmission  filter and lines?? I wonder what could be getting the Left fender hotter. Possibly the HVAC coolant hoses bypass/cylinder 4 cooling mod I did??

Yeah the metal scraping noise it makes when making a full left turn is horrid, even embarrassing lol

I pressed in a bearing on my old '01 Forester a couple of years ago, that was some fun work.. This one should go easier given it's not pressed in. H/Gs and wheel bearings.. Subarus' Achilles 

edit: Wait a sec, the bearing IS pressed in.. I guess it's easier buying the hub with the bearing in it, but way more expensive.. and it also looks like Subaru discontinued it?

Hmm.. did Subaru discontinue these?? I typically like to go OEM with these wheel bearing..

If not, can you guys recommend a good aftermarket brand?

Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assy.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT

Oh I see what it is.. 

The front wheel bearings is different for the base VS the turbo models. On the turbo models it comes as an assy with the hub vs just the bearing on the base models. Seems like Subaru might be discontinuing the Hub Assy..

Base model pressed in front wheel bearing

2005 Front Wheel Bearing base model.jpg

Turbo model front wheel bearing Hub Assy (probably discontinued)

2005 Front Wheel Bearing turbo models.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT

I’ve had good luck with SKF bearings. Rockauto has them at a reasonable price.

Coming from a rust belt location, my first thought when a noise like that happens is always that that the dust shield is rubbing on the rotor. Maybe look for that. Super common. I’ve found bad bearings tend to hum while they are failing, not so much make cyclical noises.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

That’s interesting, my dad has a 2005 and 2006 outback 2.5i and they both have the same bolt in wheel bearing/ hubs as my 2005 xt. His 05 forester 2.5i and my cousins 05 Wrx had press in bearings.

Same. My ‘05 2.5i and GT have identical knuckles all around, aside from the Spec B arms. But even those take the same bearings.

I was able to find some front hub bearing assembly a while back with the NTN stamp on them. They've been on the car for about 40K I believe. Still good. Just changed the rear. I think I put some Moog on them that lasted 100k! I replaced one of them with a Timken and the other one with an SKF... Lots of brands on my car, so I can confuse you more...

IMO, if I see 'NTN' on a bearing, I believe it is high quality. If I can't find that, then I would go SKF. After that, not sure anymore. Got my rear SKF one from Napa. Everything else from..... ebay :spin:

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Thanks 1