LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

5 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Where did you hear you should not rev past 3k? What you read is probably related to running the engine into boost I guess. Again, you could drive in your neighborhood at like 15-25 mph and it should be just fine. Then again, I am going back to having the BtSsm app up and running so you're not guessing how everything is running :spin:.

That's really what I meant.. The video I watched mentioned "absolutely no boost" til tuned. I remember boost used to be activated in the old 255 at around 3K rpms.

17 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

so wait a second... What were you doing with your Tactrix device prior to engine failure?

I haven't done anything with the Tactrix port yet. I bought it back when I was working on the 20x motor, didn't have it before with the 255 motor. I don't have the Pioneer head unit installed either (more money).. I was actually planning on buying a cheap 7" android tablet I saw at Walmart for this purpose. I'm planning on e-tuning the car soon as I can.

I don't yet have an Android device.

Edited by RumblyXT

31 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

You could technically use Romraider (free software) installed on a windows machine, paired with your Tactrix device and begin viewing the ECU parameters. That would be helpful for now.

Awesome, will do that.. hoping Romraider can work with Windows 10. I heard it was originally created for Windows 7 years ago.

Edited by RumblyXT

Searching around found this other thread of another member who swapped an '05 sti motor on is '05 Legacy and ended up with the same exact codes I'm getting now.. not going to get all worried about it since my motor is running very smooth.

I'm REALLY glad I replaced that Right exhaust gear which had signs of stress/cracks.. 

Putting things together and coming to my own conclusion, it seems those codes are generated when the gears are out of time.. 

Edited by RumblyXT

Might be worth it to check into where the TCM gets that RPM signal from. I’d guess it’d be the same sensor the tach/ECM uses…but I don’t have an FSM on-hand to look. My hunch is it may be a loose connection/wiring somewhere. The P0700 is just a “Hey, turn the CEL on for the transmission” code. Got that when I was fighting a failed 2-3 lockup clutch on my FXT.

Edited by killjoy323232
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Also, I don’t recall for sure if you can see the engine speed reported to the TCM, but you should be able to use the Tactrix and FreeSSM to view TCM (and ECM) parameters/codes, to verify the TCM is getting/reporting the correct info. Just a hunch.

• Thanks 1

When you're under boost, it is helpful to have one to properly tune the car in such condition. Other than that, IMO no. Also, the fact that your O2 sensor is now right after the turbo is actually benefiting you; meaning your stock o2 sensor will provide more accurate reading even under boost.

• Like 1

Great to know, thanks.

I forgot to mention, since I don't have a boost gauge, is it possible to run the BtSsm app to monitor certain parameters (like boost), while using the ECUFlash program simultaneously on the same laptop? 

I read on Romraider it is recommended to "Close out all other programs except for EcuFlash before starting"

Edited by RumblyXT

I use ECUFlash to edit my ROM (i.e. tune) and then upload it to the ECU. Laptop must be plugged to the OBD2 port (via Tactrix or something else) to do that. Since the OBD2 port is then used, BtSsm cannot be used at the same time.

I see. I thought the BtSsm app could probably be run from one the Laptop side ports (USB, USB-C, HDMI, etc) while also running ECUFlash.

Learning about this, looks like it would be a good idea also to do a Smoke Test to rule out any leaks prior to any tune.

I'm getting the basic idea now of what needs to be done. More questions will be coming later :) if you don't mind. Ty

Edited by RumblyXT

If you are running the logger on romraider you would have no reason to run btssm as the logger will show all the same perameters. I could be wrong on this but the resolution would likely be better on romraider due to the processing power of the laptop over the tablet. Unless you’re running that thing on the edge you would probably be better not driving yourself crazy looking at every momentary hiccup and just checking the iam and learning view every so often. The only gauge I have in my car is boost and I never even look at it. 

• Like 1

Thanks blackobxt, will keep it in mind.

Was texting with Jessee from SubieSanctuary YouTube channel, told me I shouldn’t have ended with any codes, to disconnect/check pins and re-connect the “brown” transmission plug under the Intercooler as well as checking the transmission ground.

Will run the scanner again after doing those things plus connecting the ground by the Right under side of the engine which is still not hooked up yet..

1 hour ago, blackobxt said:

If you are running the logger on romraider you would have no reason to run btssm as the logger will show all the same perameters. I could be wrong on this but the resolution would likely be better on romraider due to the processing power of the laptop over the tablet. Unless you’re running that thing on the edge you would probably be better not driving yourself crazy looking at every momentary hiccup and just checking the iam and learning view every so often. The only gauge I have in my car is boost and I never even look at it. 

I don't think the laptop cpu will play a major role in the data resolution. It will be mostly dependent on the Obd2 adapter being used. The tactrix adapter is apparently providing one of the best data rates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I don't think the laptop cpu will play a major role in the data resolution. It will be mostly dependent on the Obd2 adapter being used. The tactrix adapter is apparently providing one of the best data rates. 

Gotcha, that makes sense. The more I think about it, the slowest thing in that mix is probably the almost 20yr old ecu. 

Edited by blackobxt

Spoke to Eric from TorquedPerformance, super cool/nice dude..

He can tune the car no prob. He did warn me though, that having kept the VF38 twin scroll jdm turbo and the main O2 sensor now located after the turbo on the DP itself, instead of on the Up Pipe, could delay things a bit.. the idle could end up swing back and forward.. we'll see.

I ordered a 12" longer ground wire to connect it somewhere else.. the Right head doesn't allow me to properly tap into the frame to connect the ground wire I have there now.

Drove the car slowly around the block.. kept it under 1.5K rpm.. engine feels great! Transmission shifted Ok into all gears regardless of present codes.

Finally got RomRaider and ECUFlash running.. have to capture my first ROM now..

Anything I should be careful on while doing this? I heard there’s a crucial step so I don’t end up losing the ECU info..

603F14A5-EE34-4AD6-B3BF-FD16C8A8BA6E.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

Just installed the ground on the Right side today.. Very happy to report both P0700 & P0725 fault codes went away..

I ran the scanner 3 times to confirm, indeed they’re gone; can’t believe this was all a grounding issue after all, that’s awesome! 
Engine is running so smooth!

A04F67AF-9EFA-4817-A45C-7CC3F44EFFB2.jpeg
Took the Left T/B front cover off just to check if there was any oil by the cam bolt.. Zero leaks so far.. 

7DD81814-5CE5-41FF-A175-A5876C420932.jpeg
Little bit of a hack: had to unite two ground wires together to get them to reach the frame at an available ground bolts.

91E68693-9FCB-4435-99DE-8D0EF741DDE3.jpeg
Check Engine light is gone!

4864C315-F140-4456-8C79-39B035C08920.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 2