LegacyGT.com

Alternate Oil choices?

I usually run Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic oil in my 2010 LGT (225K Miles), but recently I can't find any T6 around at all. I read somewhere they are on back order for several months possible even Q4 of 2022...

So, I was wondering what everyone suggests for a new temporary oil for me? I'd prefer something as similar to T6 as possible.

Car is mostly garage kept but I often park outside at work for 12+ hours in the MN winter.

Thanks for the help!

I made the same discovery recently, and I ended up going with Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 5W-30 because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. I used to run the standard formulation before I switched over to T6 and didn't have any issues with it, so I'm not expecting anything to fall apart on me. I'd rather give up the higher viscosity at operating temp in favor of keeping the 5W for cold starts, especially in winter. I'm not going to claim it gets as cold around Oshkosh as it does in Duluth, but I wouldn't call it warm.

My 206k mile Baja, on the other hand, definitely appreciates the extra viscosity, so hopefully SOPUS figures out how to resolve the shortage before it comes time for the 210k mile oil change...

Boy,

This type of thread can open up the sky lol.

Since you are running a GT and cannot find Rotella which is the best choice, as mentioned PPHM is a good oil and Pennzoil Platinum Ultra is also a better choice. The HM oils don’t really appeal to me as I have used them and seen a noticeable difference the MPG drop as well as performance in several cars across several brands. Now the Ultra you can’t just go to Walmart and buy. However NAPA seems to have it and is the only one to carry it anymore.

Of course you could also go Amsoil or Redline if you want to spend the money.

And of course you could always go with M1 but I have found for cars that are pushed a bit N/A or Turbo the Pennzoil does not burn off as fast.

Believe it or not, the lower fuel economy with the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage was actually a selling point for me- the little chart comparing a bunch of oils suggested that fuel economy would be better with the regular formulation than with the high mileage stuff, so I said "huh, must mean the high mileage oil is higher viscosity" and picked up a jug. No idea if that's actually the case, but I was 150 miles overdue, out of T6, and standing in the store needing to make a decision.

i've used mobil 1 5w30, the regular stuff not high mileage or anything, since i've had the car(5 years, 55k miles) and haven't had a problem with it. when the engine was taken apart for head gaskets(about 20k miles ago) everything was clean and in good shape. was dealer maintained before i got it so it had whatever subaru uses until i got it. i do use the larger rx-8 filter as well, but that might just be me being extra.

Problem with Motul is that is on the same level as Redline when you want to buy it. Nobody stocks it and you need to order it. And someone mentioned Castrol. I would not even put that crap oil on my kids bike chain. I have had nothing but issues everytime I have used it.

I've used redline oil exactly once. It made the oil pressure light come on while I was climbing 90 over snoqualmie. That was 15 years ago and maybe they're better, but fool me once...

I've only used Mobil1 in all my vehicles since 2010, have never had issues.

@Sliverton,

I somewhat agree with you. It’s a good choice for people that like to hammer on turbo and N/A engines. The added Zinc pack is great for that. However most people I see running it are running it in a race specific car and will change it after a day or weekend of hard racing. I have used it a few times and can say it’s not a good daily driver oil unless as stated you like to completely hammer your engine to redline every chance you get.

Besides that it’s expensive at about $12 bucks a quart.

To your conclusion on Mobil 1. I have been using it since 2004 and the only car that I have that hates it is the Infiniti as for some reason it burns off quicker so I use Penzoil Platinum in that car. All my other cars take regular Mobil one with a M1 filter and they couldn’t be happier.

My sell on Mobil1 was a car I bought. 1987 200sx se-v6, 113k on it, bought it from the original owner who was a mobil1 dealer and used it in the car since 7 miles. I took valve covers off and the motor had absolutely zero tarnish.

Built car I had Redline synthetics in it, afaik that engine is past 25k on it.

Otherwise all other Subarus I've the years is Castrol Edge syntec. Valvoline synthetics because of the quick lube places on a daily and my truck.

Eneos and Schaeffers is a highly recommended oil if you can find it.

• 3 weeks later...
Plenty of local dealers here for motul, or if you are so inclined amazon has it on prime for about $40. I have used castrol edge 0-40 a3/b4, motul 8100, rotella t6, mobil 1 5-40. They all worked fine for me, no issues with any of them, I use motul now mostly because its price is better than Castrol edge.

I've had good luck with Mobil 1 0w40 and Shell Helix Ultra 0w40 (Penzoil Platinum Euro over there).

I do have a conservative oil change interval of 5000km or less with whatever oil though.

I'm on Redline 5w40 now and since I can get it cheaper than Mobil1, Shell, or Motul, it looks like I will be using it now for the forseeable future.

• 1 year later...

Oh boy oh boy, I spent a long while looking over oils and such.

I used to use 5w-30 Castrol Edge exclusively, seemed ok really. It's what I used on my old 06 Legacy GT. But after reading around and watching that Project Farm video where he does a comparison on a bunch of oils I was sold on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Amsoil level performance for half the price (or more). Ever since I switched I noticed the car was quieter and made less ticking sounds and seems happier. (but that could just be in my head).

I don't have to worry so much about the cold since Philly rarely gets that bad.

That and a Wix XP or Mazda Tokyo Roki filter N3R1-14-302.

Car is happy, I am happy.