LegacyGT.com

I'm bored, I have a question. (Covid)

apexi

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think the economy would react positively in light of the vaccine news. Businesses being allowed to open, and restrictions being lifted typically bodes well for the market. Who knows though, the stock market is just a graph of rich people's emotions anyway.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Plus they elected Justin Trudeau, who might be the stupidest national leader in office today, which reflects poorly on Canukistan.

Have you seen the current president of Murica?

I get that you probably don't like JTs policies but that doesn't mean he's stupid.

I would think the economy would react positively in light of the vaccine news. Businesses being allowed to open, and restrictions being lifted typically bodes well for the market. Who knows though, the stock market is just a graph of rich people's emotions anyway.

Well, there are two economies in America and the stock market doing well is unfortunately not a reflection on the other economy, suffering Small businesses.

In some areas of the country 40% of small business are already gone. They won't be reopening. It's not all Restaurants and Gyms either, but all of service companies that support these places, and that's just one example of many. The point I'm making is there is permanent damage done that won't be undone by a vaccine. People's livelihoods gone, everything they worked for, gone, their dream, gone. That saddest thing is the majority of this attrition is self-inflicted by Govt using a very poor data sets no less.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Well, there are two economies in America and the stock market doing well is unfortunately not a reflection on the other economy, suffering Small businesses.

In some areas of the country 40% of small business are already gone. They won't be reopening. It's not all Restaurants and Gyms either, but all of service companies that support these places, and that's just one example of many. The point I'm making is there is permanent damage done that won't be undone by a vaccine. People's livelihoods gone, everything they worked for, gone, their dream, gone. That saddest thing is the majority of this attrition is self-inflicted by Govt using a very poor data sets no less.

Let them eat cake.

The stock market is pretty interesting, if something is ******* up main street, Wall Street couldn't really care less, but if Wall Street is crashing, so too must Main Street. Maybe that's a false dicktummy, but it's an interesting contrast to 2008.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Have you seen the current president of Murica?

I get that you probably don't like JTs policies but that doesn't mean he's stupid.

I'm Canadian, living in Canada. Yes he is that stupid, the guy was literally a teacher (who was fired for gross conduct) and because of his last name became leader of the liberal party.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Let them eat cake.

The stock market is pretty interesting, if something is ******* up main street, Wall Street couldn't really care less, but if Wall Street is crashing, so too must Main Street. Maybe that's a false dicktummy, but it's an interesting contrast to 2008.

There a lot of interesting anomalies in contrast to 2008, Real Estate values at all time highs during the Pandemic being one of them. Short supply of available houses driven by historically low interest rates is what's driving it. People are hunkered down.

With the exception of the rates, this is perhaps the worst buyer's market I've ever seen.

This comes down to the differences between free states, and states that went all totalitarian. Not just a Wall Street vs the rest of ‘Murcia. States that stayed open and allowed all businesses to stay open will be in much better shape economically.

There a lot of interesting anomalies in contrast to 2008, Real Estate values at all time highs during the Pandemic being one of them. Short supply of available houses driven by historically low interest rates is what's driving it. People are hunkered down.

With the exception of the rates, this is perhaps the worst buyer's market I've ever seen.

Hunkered down, and the wealthy people in lock down dystopian hell hole states are leaving those states driving markets in places like the Black Hills. The market around here is insane, and the buyers we are seeing are paying cash.

I just hope the dumb bastards consider the political decisions that lead to them fleeing their previous states of residence.

Hunkered down, and the wealthy people in lock down dystopian hell hole states are leaving those states driving markets in places like the Black Hills. The market around here is insane, and the buyers we are seeing are paying cash.

I just hope the dumb bastards consider the political decisions that lead to them fleeing their previous states of residence.

SD has a record surplus right now, interesting. It's boom-town time.

As costly as the COVID-19 pandemic has been, it's brought with it a windfall for the state of South Dakota that could amount to as much as $200 million.

Off-subject, I'm still trying to decide if Kristi Noem is a 3 or 4 beer'er

Crazy how far this thread has gone just from this simple question. People be opinionated.

I almost apologized a couple days ago because I never really meant for this to happen, opened up a can of worms I guess. I guess I should've seen it coming too, since people usually have strong opinions about covid, masks and everything associated with that.

SD has a record surplus right now, interesting. It's boom-town time.

Off-subject, I'm still trying to decide if Kristi Noem is a 3 or 4 beer'er

Factor in her age to the equation.

She was smoking freaking hot when she was my age and younger.

Either way she saw opportunity in the chaos, and my state has benefited. Good for her.

Factor in her age to the equation.

She was smoking freaking hot when she was my age and younger.

Either way she saw opportunity in the chaos, and my state has benefited. Good for her.

Good point, as far as Govs go, she isn't bad looking and you can tell she's in shape, does some kind of strength training, takes care of herself.

Btw, I am sorry you are getting a Chipotle in Sioux falls on Monday, I know some people like it crap, but we have way better mom and pop joints up here.

Cute old lady here... I’ve ridden 150 bicycle miles in the last 8 weeks (I know, I know), almost all of it masked up. I don’t often wear a mask while pumping gas, unless someone is right next to me, but I pull out several sanitizing wipes and wipe down everything before, during, and after. That’s me, Canadian at heart, looking out for all of you. Let me just tell you, a 20 mile bike trip masked up isn’t easy. But it’s worth it for me for those around me to be comfortable. Well also be tested before we head to our gals for Christmas (3rd time for me).

Baltimore City recently expanded the mask order to say at all times while outside in public. So in theory I'm supposed to wear one while walking my dog.

I wear it when going to the store, or visiting customers for work, where it makes sense.

But I'm not getting within 6ft of people while walking my dog so haven't been wearing it for walks.

This is just freeform observations, not really trying to engage in a polemic.

My mother just returned from Taiwan where they were among the first to get COVID fully under control (as early as May). Life there has pretty much returned to normal and people are free to decide whether they want to wear masks or not.

They do not have the same level of distrust people in the US have for their government, they have higher levels of social cohesion, and have been able to pull together to respond to the crisis. They also have other advantages - Taiwan is an island (albeit a densely populated one) and they have experience going it alone due to SARS when China banned their participation in the WHO. As a result, they already had the apparatuses in place to combat a pandemic.

In the beginning of the pandemic they undertook measures that would probably inspire all types of conspiracies in the US. However, once they got COVID under control they have rolled back those measures. The strict protocols are now relegated to airports and other areas of border contact (i.e. two week mandatory quarantines, 100% testing of all incoming people, requirements that those people also submit negative results from their origin country).

The US is several magnitudes larger in terms of landmass, shares borders with two other big countries, and also has 50 different state governments and smaller regional authorities within still. These are factors that are stacked against the US. Further, the US was founded out of a distrust of power so it is almost congenitally, culturally disadvantaged when it comes to any efforts requiring public participating in a government directive.

The result is that measures being undertaken are uncoordinated and at times undermining each other. Policies vary from one state to another, yet people are traveling freely between them. It's analogous to taking a half-dosage of antibiotics at double the length of the course. It doesn't actually treat the infection to remission, and at the end of the course the infection is still there, just weakened. The paradoxical effect of non-compliant government skeptics is that they supply more rationale to government intervention supporters. Again, not assigning blame, just observation.

It looks to me that the only way America will get through this is the eventual dissemination of vaccines, which is more palatable to those skeptics than strong quarantine measures. Not saying skeptics will all take the vaccines (they probably distrust them at higher rates), but the rest of the population will.

It would be interesting to me to see if individual states would be willing or able to shut down borders to their neighbors. I think this can be more palatable than federal mandates and may even play upon people's xenophobic tendencies to the advantage of controlling this virus. There are technically requirements for interstate travel to NY but this is not enforced at all. I miss going to bars.

Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

None of the so called mandates are being enforced in the Seattle area. Stores are supposed to be limited to 25% yet the parking lot is full every time I drive by them. I don't see what good mandates do if they aren't enforced evenly.

The truth is, these big box retailers are getting a free pass while small mom and pop businesses are getting fined for the smallest violation. What good are mandates if they aren't enforced evenly and fairly? Did they not expect backlash? Besides that, what the many local state govts are doing is outside the bounds of the powers that emergency orders grant them. This is backed up further by the fact that states keep losing in higher courts.

Why do these policies seem almost designed to crush small businesses and elevate big corps? Could it have something to do with oh say...lobbyists and money? That's a rhetorical question.

Target said its third-quarter net income rose to $1.01 billion, or $2.01 per share, from $714 million, or $1.39 per share, a year earlier. Excluding items, Target earned $2.79 per share,...

Amazon said sales in the fourth quarter will be between $112 billion and $121 billion, which comes out to growth of 28% to 38% from a year earlier. Analysts were expecting revenue of $112.3...

I mean fck, do people not see what's going on here? Whether it's intentional or not is up for debate, but this is the sad economic reality of what bad, inept policy does and why many of the state govts suck very badly at their job.