LegacyGT.com

Starting suspension soon

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird question, I decided to go with the 2013/14 coils (OEM) with KYB mounts and dampers. I am waiting on the coils to come in, but I received the KYB parts and find that the bump stops clear the front damper rods, but the rear bump stops do not clear the rear damper rods.

I tripled-checked the parts numbers, everything is correct, the only thing I can think to do is drill out the rear bump stops. Does this sound reasonable? Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do, I just expected everything to go together with no weirdness like this.

the rears are wider at the top right where the threaded region is, then the shaft is narrower, right (I think that's what I remember) - if that's the case, measure the shaft and see if that too wide - if it's not, or it's close, I'd just grease the inside of the bump stop with silicone and slide it on, I think (unless it really won't fit) - the bump stop is a foam and might not drill easily (without tearing) so I'd work to avoid that

the rears are wider at the top right where the threaded region is, then the shaft is narrower, right (I think that's what I remember) - if that's the case, measure the shaft and see if that too wide - if it's not, or it's close, I'd just grease the inside of the bump stop with silicone and slide it on, I think (unless it really won't fit) - the bump stop is a foam and might not drill easily (without tearing) so I'd work to avoid that

I tried this and the inner diameter of the rear bump stop is just too small...I'll try to drill them out without causing much damage, otherwise I'll just use the currently installed ones. The Subaru dealers in my area do not seem to stock anything, its a 1 week wait unless something is back-ordered, then 2 weeks!

And that makes 5 refunds. Looks like swift no longer makes these springs for this platform. Are there other springs that have a similar height drop that have the same quality/reputation as the swift springs?

Try contacting this eBay seller and see if they actually have them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Sport-Lowering-Springs-for-Subaru-Legacy-2-5-GT-10-4F910-jdm-/200936178959

Highly doubt it since the last set sold in 2016, but worth a try at least.

Just bought from them. Hopefully my message regarding the updated address gets to them or this is going to turn into a whole new nightmare (if they actually have them available of course).

Worst comes to worse you'll have to get another refund, but hey it's worth trying.

Starting to tally up the cost of the oem struts and the H&R springs and I'm seeing that there are quite a few coilover kits out there for not much more money. I'm going to assume that this Tein kit would result in a garbage ride? I went the budget coilover route on my last car and while the ride wasn't terrible for long, the springs rotted/rusted pretty quickly and the shocks went to shit pretty quickly.

Are there any kits out there that will net me a lower legacy that would retain at least close to the factory comfort level? I'm really just trying to avoid any harshness to the ride. This thing will never see the track. Purely for looks.

Goddammit what the hell is going on with springs for this car?! I went ahead with some H&Rs and I get home from work to an email saying they’re back ordered. Couple that with the spacers I ordered saying they were delivered and get home and they aren’t there, this is turning out to be a real motherfucker of a day for this car.

For daily drivers, I don't think that most coilovers last that long in Northeast if driven winters. (ie a couple winters)

I’m curious if using some of the stuff people spray on the underside of their cars would fix this before installing.

Factory air ride is a whole different thing from conversions. I wouldnt do a conversion on a daily personally.

I'm on coilovers now and they do make the car much more performance oriented in the twisties. I do notice that I lost a lot of suspension travel though compared to stock, so I bottom out and get heaved up on higher speeds on certain roads. I have to be more careful now with my speed going into bridge approaches, big dips, etc. Also, it is stiffer in town, and can be annoyingly so on some coilover setups.

i haven't had coilovers on this chassis, but i've had previous cars that were on coils and i gotta say, for a daily it's punishment. like you said scuba you have to be extra careful, and unless you live with perfect roads the trade offs aren't worth it. a good set of lowering springs and properly dampened shocks will get you 3/4 of the way there on handling, with only 10% of the downsides of coilovers. at least in my experience...i haven't had KWs or other super expensive coils, but...meh.