LegacyGT.com

4th gen aero

boxkita

So trying to look up more about lidar and specifically what's built into the iPhone I came across this blurb.

“Unfortunately, the mesh output by the system right now isn’t accurate enough to send to a 3D printer,” de With wrote on the Halide website. “But it’s a great starting point for a 3D model, since all the proportions will be very accurate.”

Now that's from someone working with the raw output so I think we either need to find an app which will help fill in those gaps, or will have to do stuff manually. It looks like though 3d scanner app has a bunch of functionality post scan so may be able to do it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry forgot to include an update.

I had a hell of a time trying to use the iPhone. I couldn't even produce a mediocre scan of random household objects let alone the car. I wasn't even close to what jmack got.

So, sounds like we would be better off getting a car professionally scanned. I'm still down to chip in - anyone else?

What does a service like that go for?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I saw a bunch of models when I looked... $100 a piece or so...

awfulwaffle built his original model based on one of those. He discovered they aren't complete and are low-rez. The nuances of things like the undertray lip and other stuff is non-existent. Adding all the custom pieces was hard because we/he was guessing. The computer array means we can step from a 2d slice to a 3d half body, assuming we can find a body that has no holes and enough geometry to get valid data.

Perhaps we can 3d print the models to generate cash? Of course 10 years, these would sold easily. Today? yes/no?

My original contact for scanning has moved on.

I took a look at the free model I could get my hands on, but none of the paid ones. I doubt they have much underside/engine bay resolution, but if we can get our hands on a proper solid model that'd be easy enough to add. Still, worth revisiting what's out there.

I have space and a pre-facelift wagon, friend has a facelift sedan and Nonamedude has a facelift OBXT. Time is tricky, back in school September to continue my perpetual masters degree. Maybe Nonamedude and I could coordinate scanning if we choose to go that route...

I took a look at the free model I could get my hands on, but none of the paid ones. I doubt they have much underside/engine bay resolution, but if we can get our hands on a proper solid model that'd be easy enough to add. Still, worth revisiting what's out there.

I have space and a pre-facelift wagon, friend has a facelift sedan and Nonamedude has a facelift OBXT. Time is tricky, back in school September to continue my perpetual masters degree. Maybe Nonamedude and I could coordinate scanning if we choose to go that route...

Would love to help. I've just been put on a spending moratorium to try to buy a house next year ish.

Perhaps we can 3d print the models to generate cash? Of course 10 years, these would sold easily. Today? yes/no?

I had actually been hoping to do just that with the iPhone scan as most the apps implied it was possible. Haven't found a hot wheels of our wagons. Haven't looked super hard either

• 1 year later...

How do you do, fellow nerds? Found my way back to this thread and, as a result, found that there are now a pair of high quality models of both a post-facelift wagon and sedan, and a pre-facelift wagon for sale online.

https://free3d.com/3d-model/subaru-legacy-wagon-2003-2009-5349.html

https://free3d.com/3d-model/subaru-legacy-station-wagon-2008-2637.html

https://free3d.com/3d-model/subaru-legacy-2008-4153.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, awfulwaffle said:

How do you do, fellow nerds? Found my way back to this thread and, as a result, found that there are now a pair of high quality models of both a post-facelift wagon and sedan, and a pre-facelift wagon for sale online.

https://free3d.com/3d-model/subaru-legacy-wagon-2003-2009-5349.html

https://free3d.com/3d-model/subaru-legacy-station-wagon-2008-2637.html

https://free3d.com/3d-model/subaru-legacy-2008-4153.html

I can contribute to the purchase of the models. Will more people join?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone ventured into the photogrammetry route for making a 3D model? I've had OK results getting an underbody model of an Outback for some bracing/skidpan stuff I'm designing using this method. The model resolution is coarse, almost too coarse for my needs (ie. difficult to locate precise chassis bolt points), but would be an improvement for CFD based on what I've seen posted in this thread.  I haven't tried doing the rest of the car since it wasn't needed for my project, but a good camera and a decent PC are the only equipment needed to fill in the blanks. My model was created with the car on a lift (notice the support arms?) meaning the suspension is at full droop. This was good for my purposes but probably not for CFD. It would be difficult to edit the wheels/linkages back to a normal resting position. Might be more time efficient to start from scratch with a car supported on the wheels.

To create the model I used Meshroom, MeshLab, (both free), and my 25mp DSLR camera (not so free 😛). Around 440 full res TIFF images and ~16hrs of CPU time were used to generate the mesh. I have an OK workstation (6core Ryzen 1500, 64gb RAM, Nvida GTX 750 Ti, 64bit Win7). It sounds like some of you have access to much more computing power than this which could speed up the process considerably.  MeshLab also allows merging different scans so a large model like a car can be assembled in pieces. MeshLab can export as STLs which most CAD packages can deal with.

FYI, high resolution handheld laser scanners are also getting pretty cheap. The Einscan Einstar is going for around $1k and has sub mm resolution. Need a good Win10/11 PC/laptop to run it though.

OB-Underbody.thumb.PNG.ca4a0a038f0483a0c5ecca6481af33ab.PNG

OB-Underbody-2.thumb.PNG.dbe49aef980d4444393845acd892fe64.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

there's a gr86 thread on another site going through the trials of aero on s budget. it's like the precursor of this thread :)

ive sold my wagons, but still have a sedan and engine.

if y'all want to try this, i can put the sedan on the rack or someone can bring a wagon over and i'll take pictures. There's a few "professional photographers" still on the lgt platform out here.