LegacyGT.com

4th gen aero

boxkita

random post. saw this on linkedin. If we ever finish this project. getting a job should be cake.

PDS TECH INC is currently looking for an*Aerodynamic Engineer*for our Motorsports client in Southern California.*

Will work remote and some traveling is required

NO SPONSORSHIPS

Responsibilities includes performing Wind Tunnel and straight-line testing with racing vehicles.

Will map, optimize and validate aerodynamics and cooling on-track performance, as well as to feed the overall vehicle development process*with aerodynamic data.*

Must be able to plan and execute aero testing duties, as well as analyze test data by applying statistics-based analysis.

Acquire, validate and automatize usage of instrumentation and data acquisition techniques, including (but not limited to) measurement of surface pressure and off-body pressure, velocity and temperature.

Use basic statistical methods, such as sample statistic, confidence interval, hypothesis testing, ANOVA, etc. to analyze data and determine objective performance level of racing cars in WT and on track.

Prepare experimental data for validation of numerical CFD results. Establish best and most efficient analytical methods to distinguish between ‘true’ and ‘apparent’ correlation

Quantify influences/uncertainties that cannot be removed or controlled, such as tire wear, track surface quality, weather and track conditions.

Requirements are BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent BS degree is preferred, with 3 years of experience with Wind Tunnel Testing, utilizing CFD and CAD.

Must have the ability to work in team environment with minimal supervision, be self-directed, detailed oriented who can effectively work well under pressure in a diverse environment.*

Proprietary work: US Citizenship REQUIRED

NO SPONSORSHIPS

If you are interested in discussing, please send*your resume to: denglert@pdstech.com then*call DJ #(714) 384-0004

If I had my choice, I'd work for specialized doing cycling aero. They have their own wind tunnel on campus which is crazy considering what they do. They have done funny YouTube videos testing cycling myths. Beards aren't slower but shaving your legs is a LOT faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had my choice, I'd work for specialized doing cycling aero. They have their own wind tunnel on campus which is crazy considering what they do. They have done funny YouTube videos testing cycling myths. Beards aren't slower but shaving your legs is a LOT faster.

I was racing 15 mile time trials and one of the old guys told me that. Figured I had nothing to lose. Other than immediately marking you as weird in the late 80's, it knocked time off and was a basically free mod. The hair has never grown back. Thank goodness for the new shaved look...I'm normal now.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have an Iphone 12 with LIDAR, and own a 1997 LGT Wagon, 2005 LGT Wagon, and a 2011 Outback.

If you guys need anything, let me know. I can't make promises to how good I will do, but I would certainly try!

Tried applying to Trek in a similar function right out of undergrad, didn't even get a second look. I bet there's less than 100 people nationwide (worldwide?) doing that kind of work.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have an Iphone 12 with LIDAR, and own a 1997 LGT Wagon, 2005 LGT Wagon, and a 2011 Outback.

If you guys need anything, let me know. I can't make promises to how good I will do, but I would certainly try!

Not a hijack at all! A detailed scan of your 05 wagon would be fantastic.

it's perfect!!!

You can test scanner initially with specific elements, in example bumper and share files here. :cool:

it's perfect!!!

You can test scanner initially with specific elements, in example bumper and share files here. :cool:

Any particular app you would prefer? Free would be wonderful (obviously).

Any particular app you would prefer? Free would be wonderful (obviously).

"pro" and "pro max" are the operative words. So iphone 12/13. Ipad pro (latest version). Specifically: LIDAR-capable device. 2nd gen Ipad Pro 11-inch, 4th gen Ipad Pro 12.9 inch, iphone 12 pro, iphone 12 pro max.

"3d Scanner App" by Laan Labs. 2k reviews as of today.

this one. and it's free

Here's what the scan looks like on import into CAD. Everything's there more or less, but it's kind of rough and definitely patches to fill and surfaces to smooth/repair. I think that's doable but it'd be a process for sure.

I wonder if there's a way to improve the resolution? IE scan slower, and maybe more stably? Not really familiar with 3D scanning...

Capture.PNG.009afe48895b2d847a33818a7d6bc676.PNG

Capture1.thumb.PNG.30b72ac0bcadd26125a0ba7114fedb0f.PNG

Some of the scanning apps allow for multiple passes to increase resolution. Also speed of movement and maintaining an exact distance from the vehicle. And also potential conflicts with the background.

My plan is to tape out a box in the driveway so I can make sure my body placement is precise and try a few different hand positions. Based on what I know from rock climbing holding the phone in very close should be easiest. Maybe I'll mount it in my tiny tripod and attach a stick or something to the end to make sure I don't get too close or far from myself.

Also most default to a more low resolution and may need to have settings tweaked. Most apps seem dedicated towards room layout or small objects so I think there will be a learning curve for something so large.

Was even considering on the extreme end of setting up a movable backdrop and having someone assist me moving it around.

Idk I'll have four or five days to **** with it and my folks are retired. Wtf else are they gonna do.

Whoa we sensor words now? Maybe that's tapatalk.

It doesn't seem to care much about the distance. I set it to high resolution, but I'm not sure if there is a way to tweak it.

I will try again, and take a bit more time. some areas I spent more time scanning than others.

Is there a particular portion that you would like additional time spent in (ie hood, tailgate, wing mirrors)?

any item that's not smooth needs more scan data.

a dolly on tracks would be ideal, but i'm sure that's not cheap. Tripod mounted on a skateboard? or rolling chair?

The 3d scan shop I talked to several years ago, sprays a fine mist of dark powder on the vehicle to provide more "traction" for the scanner. A dirty car should scan better than a clean one.

Awfulwaffle - can you/we combine multiple scans into a single model? or do we have to keep refining the scan techniques to get a more perfect scan?

Was even considering on the extreme end of setting up a movable backdrop and having someone assist me moving it around.

Idk I'll have four or five days to **** with it and my folks are retired. Wtf else are they gonna do.

Whoa we sensor words now? Maybe that's tapatalk.

a plain white backdrop might be best? infinity backdrop?

Awfulwaffle - can you/we combine multiple scans into a single model? or do we have to keep refining the scan techniques to get a more perfect scan?

Yeah I think so. It'd be waaaaay easier if we could somehow make sure that every partial scan had the same coordinate system zero, else someone would be playing the manual alignment game

I work in an Aircraft hangar. I will try pulling the car into the hangar (smooth floor) and rolling around it with the Scanner on a chair. I will also mark out the distances and try to keep within at all times.

I will get you one that works better if you give me a few days or a week.

I work in an Aircraft hangar. I will try pulling the car into the hangar (smooth floor) and rolling around it with the Scanner on a chair. I will also mark out the distances and try to keep within at all times.

I will get you one that works better if you give me a few days or a week.

This is far from a new thread so take your time lol.

I think all those things may depend on the app. I was reading overviews of maybe fifteen different ones the other day and so that's just off my head techniques I've seen across all of them.

It's also possible that the technology just isn't good enough or that app can't compile that much data. There's a reason paying for one of these scans costs like 3k.

My understanding of the iPhones rear lidar is that it should have a really good overall distance and I'd think an app should be able to use the accelerometers to account for phone movement but who knows. Also this is the first iPhone with lidar but not the first phone with lidar. Maybe someone has an android that might give better results.