LegacyGT.com

4th gen aero

boxkita

looks like they improved their cloud products. When I first looked into it, I had access to Azure dev units (unlimited cores/ram). Building the images was a pain and required knowledge I didn't have.

From experience with Azure, you can burn money pretty fast depending on the configuration.

we had a "let's test this" list that got whittled down. Then exploded as we learned more. Getting a 3d model stalled at "need a scanner".

Not sure how I can help other than find resources and funds (maybe). Pretty much everything Awful wrote above didn't even make a sound as it flew past me. :)

Get to this topic from another.

I manage an HPC cluster at the university where I am a researcher. I can share computational resources (CPU or GPU), actually is available some servers that we have outside of the production environment.

Fantastic. How would we handle credentials/access? Worst case, I can handle grid generation and case setup on my end and pass files over ftp or similar.

What software and resources do you need?

The computers that I have out of production are in a linux environment (ubuntu server with xfce for students use), and servers have dual xeon 10c/20t (20c/40t in total) and 32gb Ram memory. If you need more resources i need booking time in HPC Cluster.

The access to machine is over Anydesk or TeamViewer. If you need windows i can set up a Virtual Machine with windows. For the transfer of files generally with the students we synchronize a folder from dropbox, google drive or another. It is much more agile than using FTP or SFTP.

pd: sorry for my english, i am not native speaker :(

Edited by Ajerezcl

So if I understand correctly, the out-of-production environment consists of two 10 core/20 thread nodes, with 64 GB of total memory? If so, I think we could absolutely work with that if we manage grid size carefully. It'll be a little on the slow side, but I'd think we could turn around a reasonably-resolved RANS run in a day or two on that setup. Ideally, we'd use ANSYS Fluent, is that available? If not, I'm sure we can adapt to whatever is available based on the talent pool in this thread/on the forum.

Btw, your English is just fine from my perspective :)

Edited by awfulwaffle

So if I understand correctly, the out-of-production environment consists of two 10 core/20 thread nodes, with 64 GB of total memory? If so, I think we could absolutely work with that if we manage grid size carefully. It'll be a little on the slow side, but I'd think we could turn around a reasonably-resolved RANS run in a day or two on that setup. Ideally, we'd use ANSYS Fluent, is that available? If not, I'm sure we can adapt to whatever is available based on the talent pool in this thread/on the forum.

Btw, your English is just fine from my perspective :)

Yes you are correct.

On the other hand, there is no problem that the simulation is running for two full weeks, the utilization of these equipment is less than 20%!! :D

They are equipment deprecated from the cluster that are now used by postgrade students.

About Ansys, I do not have a license since we use our own codes developed in fortran with Intel MPI.

Is there an Ansys license for educational use? (like Autodesk)

Another alternative is OpenFOAM...

Only a couple ppl involved have Ansys. I thought they had an academic license?

The other alternative is using openfoam, which lets the non-professionals fo something? or not?

Assuming we can solve the software licensing issue (leap of faith), how do we improve the quality of the model(s)?

ANSYS does offer student licenses, but I believe they limit the size of the models you can run which would make it a non-starter in this case. I'm game for openFOAM, has anyone here used it before?

Regarding model - where did we leave off? I remember we found some decent 3D models that you had to pay for. Could buy one and spend some time adding features that are missing? Engine bay, underside cavities, etc? I'd gladly spend a weekend or two building a quality grid off of the model once we have it.

Maybe we can award the first ever Legacygt.com PhD if someone wants to write us a 3D viscous compressible flow solver just for this thread :)

models have been the issue since day one. I was going to find someone with a iphone 12 pro and attempt to use the lidar feature for a scanner. Didn't realize its a 1200-1500$ phone, so "borrowing" one meant depriving.

There's a couple of 3d scan shops in the area who either do the work and/or sell the tools. This still seems like its way harder than it should be.

We might have to crowdsource/fund the scans? Likewise a software license?

Can your company's ansys license support an off-site compute cluster?

With regards the openfoam, I believe all we have is interested parties. No actual experts.

"3D viscous compressible flow solver just for this thread" - ugh, my brain says sure. Then says "English" ? Could we outsource that to code.com or some other service? Maybe Ajerezcl has a grad student in need of a project?

There's a couple of 3d scan shops in the area who either do the work and/or sell the tools. This still seems like its way harder than it should be.

We might have to crowdsource/fund the scans? Likewise a software license?

Count me in, I'd put up some cash if we can get a nice detailed scan of the whole car, including underside and engine bay.

Can your company's ansys license support an off-site compute cluster?

Unfortunately not. Restricted to an on-site license server. Helps keep the Russians off our intranet :lol:

With regards the openfoam, I believe all we have is interested parties. No actual experts.

Sounds like a cool opportunity to learn as long as we all stay motivated etc. All I've ever used is commercial flow solvers, or very specific custom-written codes for particular applications like Ajerezcl was talking about. Getting us some familiarity with a heftier open source code like FOAM would be rad. I remember doing a comparison of available codes during one of the CFD courses I took in grad school, and openFOAM was pretty well featured relatively speaking. I'm sure it's only improved since then.

Sounds like the hypothetical task list is as follows, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Put out a call to see if there are enough interested parties to crowdfund having an LGT 3D scanned. Can we do a full car (whatever's available) and then patch in partial scans for pre/post facelift differences if we want to later?

2. Clean scanned geometry, defeature as needed and generate grid in some common format.

3. Get started learning the openFOAM interface in preparation for running the full-size sim. Maybe whoever does this can try and duplicate some of the 2D results we have, just to get the workflow down?

4. Figure out what conditions we're interested to start with, and build the openFOAM cases.

5. Try submitting jobs to Ajerezcl's cluster

6. .....?

7. Profit

Edited by awfulwaffle

models have been the issue since day one. I was going to find someone with a iphone 12 pro and attempt to use the lidar feature for a scanner.

Uhhh my partner has a 12 mini. Is that on 12s or 12 pro only?

Also would be happy to pitch in money next pay period. Rest is out of my scope and or desire atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Nonamedude

If that'll work, who knows what file output is from an iPhone, I'm likely going to the rent a stall this week and can scan the underside too. Granted my underside is a bit different with no mufflers and skid plates

Also would be happy to pitch in money next pay period. Rest is out of my scope and or desire atm.

It is only the 12 pro. I think my mom might have one though and if she does I'll at least get a scan while I visit.

OK confirmed my mom has a 12 pro so I can do a scan next week of my car and probably anyone else in Central Florida. Looking briefly through apps on break and I'll look again on lunch. What are preferred object files?

It is only the 12 pro. I think my mom might have one though and if she does I'll at least get a scan while I visit.

"pro" and "pro max" are the operative words. So iphone 12/13. Ipad pro (latest version). Specifically: LIDAR-capable device. 2nd gen Ipad Pro 11-inch, 4th gen Ipad Pro 12.9 inch, iphone 12 pro, iphone 12 pro max.

"3d Scanner App" by Laan Labs. 2k reviews as of today.

I'm waiting for the nonameduda scan :spin:

Can likely get it sometime Sunday. Depending on how the app is set up I'll try to get it into my Google drive and share a link in thread.

Awfulwaffle has already yelled at me for failing to deliver a cad file. I can't risk his wrath again.

Can likely get it sometime Sunday. Depending on how the app is set up I'll try to get it into my Google drive and share a link in thread.

Awfulwaffle has already yelled at me for failing to deliver a cad file. I can't risk his wrath again.

Don't make me get the paddle!

Cuz I'm one to talk when it comes to letting things lag lol

Seems that most scanner apps do one or a combination of .stl .obj or .ply.

The one boxkita posted will do:

gltf, glb, Dae, pts, pcd, xyz, and usdz.

Canvas will for a small fee export to:

Skp, dwg, Dae, plan, rvt, ifc, kit, and pdf.

For the following programs:

Sketch up, chief architect, autodesk revit, 2020 design, and autocad

Some mix and match with canvas, idk if some programs use proprietary files within some of those options.

I'm not finding anything that'll do step, iges, or the solid works file types I saw listed in thread.

Awfulwaffle or ajerezcl can you do anything with any of those file types?

.stl and .obj are good for me, and I can do any of the formats that comprise a file with a set of points defined. The former is easier to work with, but none of them are particularly easy from the standpoint of making changes down the line. We'll have to take steps to parameterize certain features as we go and see the need, I think.

Seems that most scanner apps do one or a combination of .stl .obj or .ply.

The one boxkita posted will do:

gltf, glb, Dae, pts, pcd, xyz, and usdz.

Canvas will for a small fee export to:

Skp, dwg, Dae, plan, rvt, ifc, kit, and pdf.

For the following programs:

Sketch up, chief architect, autodesk revit, 2020 design, and autocad

Some mix and match with canvas, idk if some programs use proprietary files within some of those options.

I'm not finding anything that'll do step, iges, or the solid works file types I saw listed in thread.

Awfulwaffle or ajerezcl can you do anything with any of those file types?

what is the small fee?

Better to pay versus discover months after we need one of those other formats files hahaha. ;)

what is the small fee?

Better to pay versus discover months after we need one of those other formats files hahaha. ;)

$0.15usd/Sq ft (not sure where you're at lol) per export and I believe it's stored to be re exported whenever. Using just a surface area of a rectangle it's a little over $60. But many programs will do stl and obj free.

In that case I'll do a scan with canvas and 3dscanner just to cover bases. Unless each scan takes me hours lol.

.stl and .obj are good for me, and I can do any of the formats that comprise a file with a set of points defined. The former is easier to work with, but none of them are particularly easy from the standpoint of making changes down the line. We'll have to take steps to parameterize certain features as we go and see the need, I think.

I could also scan just individual areas of the vehicle? Idk if that'll help down the road. Like a pillar forward or c pillar back