LegacyGT.com

Chasing a front end shimmy

Update, Joint was installed.

On the drive home from work today, no shimmy. Outside air temp 100F most of the way. Speed was 68-well I'll admit to 75...LOL, four different highways.

No Shimmy.

I'll be watching over the next few day's and let you know if/when something changes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn I wish I got this in before i dropped in the motor, installed motor on a sunday part came on monday, was supposed to come on saturday, so had no choice. this is gonna be a bitch...

How was the steering response and feel? Did it feel different?

So, forgive me as I haven't been able to piece together what all has happened here:

Did you buy the STi steering rack and put in that joint and solve your problem?

After replacing the leaking rack with a OEM style replacement the shimmy was still there.

The ebay STI solid joint has seemed to make the biggest difference in stopping the shimmy.

Look into buying a 2015-2020 STI solid joint, they may be longer ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

makes sense, the extra slop in the steering can go both ways, so the shimmy is coming from the extra motion on the damper, the wheels are moving but the damper eats it before getting to the steering wheel. with the solid joint its able to stabilize by holding onto the steering wheel. Maybe that damper is a part that wears out faster than we think, and is just overlooked. Edited by Tehnation

makes sense, the extra slop in the steering can go both ways, so the shimmy is coming from the extra motion on the damper, the wheels are moving but the damper eats it before getting to the steering wheel. with the solid joint its able to stabilize by holding onto the steering wheel. Maybe that damper is a part that wears out faster than we think, and is just overlooked.

That's how my mine assumes too. Time will tell.

I also add, one reason I love the wagon so much is the radio. IMO the stock radio with the Sub and Mid-range kit, sounds wonderful. The entire car feels like it is filled with sound. Others have said it has something to do with the sound chamber effect of the wagon.

The Spec B just doesn't do that, no matter how much I play with the settings.

Day 2. 50 miles of driving at or above 68mph, no shimmy. I even changed lanes on the different highways to see if there was any difference.

I'd have over 100 miles, but the drive to work is slow...no hurry to get there...

This is great news! I, personally, haven't noticed a shimmy with my car. I don't remember if I noticed one before or after the Perrin steering lockdown kit. However, I'll probably be grabbing one of the STi solid joints for when I do get around to replacing my steering rack.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

This is great news! I, personally, haven't noticed a shimmy with my car. I don't remember if I noticed one before or after the Perrin steering lockdown kit. However, I'll probably be grabbing one of the STi solid joints for when I do get around to replacing my steering rack.

Try and get a 2015-2020 STI joint so we can confirm if it is longer.

Boom. Ordered. It is on back order, so no telling when I'll get it.

Can you believe that some of the Subaru parts sites are selling this solid u-joint for $202?! That is absurd!

I ordered a 2015-2019 STi solid steering u-joint. #PN here: 34170VA030

Ordered through here:

https://subieautoparts.com/product/2015-2019-subaru-wrx-sti-steering-linkage-assembly-knuckle-34170va030/

MILKRUN  - Click Here

i measured mine laying straight, its about 8 5/8", 22.3cm-22.4cm, 223mm-224mm long.

Show off,

Which year, I think yours is the same as mine, 2005-2014 ? I see it in post #168.

I'll say it was nice to leave work get on the highway, get up to 70mph in a spot where it would always shimmy...and now I get...nothing.

Yes , worked well last time driving home on the highway. Home now because of the damages from the hurricane Isaias . Work has been closed for two days including tomorrow. That's unheard of. I also retire on Friday.

Yes , worked well last time driving home on the highway. Home now because of the damages from the hurricane Isaias . Work has been closed for two days including tomorrow. That's unheard of. I also retire on Friday.

Congrats!

Thanks, got power back a few hours ago. Just in time for the last wake up for work.

Don't plan to to much but enjoy life. I will ski more this during Winter...we'll see how that works out this season...in these crazy times.

I do have lots of projects around the house.

Thanks, got power back a few hours ago. Just in time for the last wake up for work.

Don't plan to to much but enjoy life. I will ski more this during Winter...we'll see how that works out this season...in these crazy times.

I do have lots of projects around the house.

Great news! Congratulations and enjoy!

Congrats on retirement...just in time to enjoy the 'no front end shimmy' more! Now that you won't be driving to work in the wagon everyday, this will allow other 200k+ wagon owners to catch up to you

Yes, it will. LOL.

Looking forward to being able to sleep late, this getting up at 4:40AM to be to work at 6:30 is getting old. It was nice on Friday's in Winter when I could get a jump on traffic going to VT every Friday evening for skiing. Now I'll be coming home from VT on Friday's. ;)