LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

Less prone to knock is definitely a win in my book.

rhino, did you do some kind of before/after test between stock plugs and the colder version with your tuner? Was he able to detect less knock with the latter?

No before/after from stock heat range to one step colder. I've done all of my own tuning until recently so no difference there. My main difference in 2309 vs 5245 is by longevity of plugs. 2309 fouled easier than 5245.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally went through the control arms. It was seriously a nightmare that I wouldn't suggest doing if yours have never been replaced. This got moved up though due to some bad shaking under high speed braking which had hit a point of feeling rather dangerous to be honest. So I thought well what's the worst case. Gave myself two days to do it.

It was like 30 or below doing the first side. Pinch bolt snapped. Went and got some really long drill bits so I could get at the knuckle from a proper angle. Then, because get anywhere without a car is hard, we were trying not to dull the bits. Went too far to the don't press too hard side and spent like 4 hours drilling the bolt. Yea dumb I know.

84714f16ad2edfa871e64fa686326ce9.jpg

Once the bolt was out there was a lot of effort trying to get the ball joint out. Heat, prying gently on the split, hammers, punches, chisels. Tried finding a bull pin per advice on a forum and couldn't find one locally. Finally gave in and ordered a subaru ball joint puller and gave up for three days waiting for it to arrive. Showed up and made short work of it.

c61a7fc00dc63997412b58e209145a83.jpeg

Don't think it's supposed to look like that. Well from there arm went on without major hassle. Knuckle is held at the pinch with a grade 10.9 replacement bolt with a nut and red locktite on the back to proper torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after that I debated on paying someone to do it or buying a knuckle. But I thought I have all the tools and experience now. Awfulwaffle let me use his space do I didn't have to lay in snow like last time, should be easy.

Nah worse in every way. Pinch bolt snapped at the threads. Got it drilled out much quicker this time though. Went the wrong way on the impact getting the castle nut off which meant the ball joint puller wouldn't hold well enough but the amount of effort it took I'm not sure it would have mattered.

In the end awfulwaffle welded the control arm to the ball joint from the underside. We beat the crap out of it for a while, bent a jack handle with prying and all sorts of stuff. He ended up using his foot to keep the jack handle from sliding while his buddy held the mid portion of the jack handle and I hit it all with a 4lb hammer for a few minutes.

There had been discussion of removing the knuckle but with no replacement bolts for the strut I was afraid of breaking one of those also.

Shake is gone though when braking. Car feels better. Waiting to see if the clunk is gone that happens at low speeds.

Another note, my lca bushings were so shot that doing one side only must have changed the caster as it made driving odd and my steering wheel not point straight. Finishing the other side resolved that problem. But I'm thinking another alignment would be good.

Unfortunately no. I didn't have any either time as these were both kinda spur of the moment fixes. Also with plans to lower the car and reports that the mevotech ball joints are very short lived, I'm hoping it won't seize in the next year or two.

Next time might just be new knuckles and hubs though too.

• 3 months later...

Well finally got to do a few small things. Pulled off the rear kartboy end links and greased them up with some sil Glyde. Squeaking is now gone in the rear.

Changed the transmission fluid. It had about 37k on the fluid with quite a bit of towing but drain plug looked alright. Had been having some issues on cold shifts, primarily getting into reverse. Feels good now but it was warm out so we'll see. Went with motul gear 300 but doubt I'll notice much compared to the redline 75w90ns.

eb0c4073088d57ba5a8a15eef1d65949.jpg

Also made a massive mess in the parking lot. I forgot how fast the fluid comes out, basically instantly over flowed my oil pan and pretty much none of it went in.

6cf5a8eebfcafed97dae8a67d1aa94ff.jpg

Some cat litter and I'll get some sort of oil cleaner to try to pull up the stain.

I didn't have a tube for filing the trans so I pulled the intercooler. Most everything still looks good, inside the intercooler looks good and some oil in the throttle body hose.

f16a1da8e8da1eea6420fec7fc69ef99.jpg

Also found some pink stuff by the turbo? Not really sure what it is but can't find any leaks and never used red loctite anywhere. It was on the back of the intercooler and one of the nuts I use at the turbo to intercooler flange.

9739a7bb4b6422f92b45f1579fbe00be.jpg

a123d98a07cfb1f4a32c3ca93393cfd4.jpg

Next couple of things will be replacing the leaking up pipe, finding the front end clunk (think it's my front sway bar), and then putting on the bc coil overs I have.

What color is your coolant fluid?

Hadn't thought about that but it's the Subaru blue fluid.

I got my head way in there and didn't see any leaks coming from the throttle body, any fuel lines, hell I didn't even see oil leaks.

When I do my up pipe I'll be replacing the turbo inlet so maybe I'll find something then. Or maybe it sprayed up from the road?

Very nice! I, too, changed my trans and diff fluid on Friday. Went with Motul 300 myself.

It turns out my buddy needs two bottles to do his trans and since he can use the same stuff we ordered a box of six. Only 17$ a bottle. I've got a bottle for the rear diff too when I get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Day off so I started pulling things off to replace the up pipe. I forgot what a pain it was to get the turbo off. Had a stuck bolt and took about thirty minutes to get through. Better than the six hours last time.

f01b697e47628be986b4657771f4462d.jpg

a809cd5dc8dddc045563f64666b63916.jpg

Wonder what the problem was lol. I guess I cross threaded something going back together. Not looking forward to getting it out.

Also found more of the pink stuff, best I can tell it looks like it came out the pcv port. Maybe something from assembly?

728d57b2d0da894d05f30da0a47983cc.jpg

f75936327f07840cf09b38ac637690e0.jpg

Not looking forward to trying to get the replacement throttle body hose and turbo inlet on.

So I'm guessing you left the turbo attached to the dp then. I could see that, just that one bolt which I'm guessing you get from underneath with a crows foot.

Oh well, I'd already decided to replace the turbo inlet anyway, then noticed the gasket on the throttle body hose was torn. Then decided to clean up some of the hoses that go to the turbo inlet, install sensor for oil pressure gauge. I think that's about all I can do in that area lol.

I think I had to remove the downpipe (or at least separate it from the turbo) as well to access some other bolts? Can't remember. It was 5 years ago! I think there is a metal bracket there that was still providing support to the turbo as well.

In any case, you're there already. So it does not matter.

Last time I swapped out the Invidia up pipe I left the turbo in place, just removed the DP and "unbolted" the turbo from the up pipe.

"noticed the gasket on the throttle body hose was torn" do you mean the boot and the ends ? We removed them and toss them in the garbage.

Before we get smart and buy the GS tmic...;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lol yep the end rubber things. I figured putting it back together I didn't want to risk any boost leaks and since I don't need it running right away I could take the time to change it out.

I might go gs tmic eventually but I'm not sure I'll upgrade the turbo. As it stands I basically have 3 project cars and the outback will be the first one that's solid once this is done. Need to dump money into the others next.

Hey guys ,I have questions trying to see if I can get some help.

First i been have misfire on cylinder 4 since I bought the car,sometimes it will say misfire on all cylinder I change the fuel injectors and coils.but now I when I drive I have no power it drive like it's struggling to get power to the engine.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

You'll get better help on your own thread most likely.

Two things are likely happening, the misfire is causing the engine to pull timing and it's pulled so much that you're not getting power.

The other is you likely should have started with spark plugs but since you've done the other stuff try swapping the spark plug in 4 with a different cylinder and see if the misfire moves with it.

But like I said, start a thread because you'll get questions about iam, load, mileage, history, turbo etc.